Let's talk parking

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Ralphie, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

Lot 104 went from $600 foundation contribution to $1,000 this season. Yet today I got to DFF an hour before the game started and I had to park behind the center field wall.

The portion of Lot 104 adjacent to MLK was virtually empty. They reserve that portion of the lot for skybox owners.

So, in short, I paid double and am getting half what I used to get.

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you The University of Texas.

Not meant to start a ***** session, just something that is no doubt on the minds of a few of us. Though every season, parking starts out crappy and it always seems to work itself out.

To add a positive note, the stadium looks amazing. Top notch job. Finally we once again have the premier stadium in college baseball.

2. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

with all due respect to all of you, i'll never understand the outrage over parking.

unless you're disabled, you're not walking more than 4 blocks to get to the stadium. I can't imagine paying $1000 to park at the Disch.

hell, if you give me $20, I'll taxi you from your your home to the front gate.

3. mpharut

mpharut 25+ Posts

For my 1000th post- Took me a few years, 7 !/2. But I believe the issue isn't as much parking as Tailgating.

and then just walking over to the game. So your $20 taxi ride wouldn't satisfy the majority here.

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

What is the LHF cutoff level for the centerfield parking area? I know the 104 is $1000? What about the other lots.
    I think weekday games are more of a problem because students have not all cleared out of those areas-they park there during the week.
    You probably won't have trouble over the weekend if you have a 104 permit.

5. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

$1,000 for lot 104 and the lots behind left and center field walls.

And, yes, the issue is tailgating as much as walking.

6. bclarke

bclarke 25+ Posts

There weren't spaces in the under $1000 peon lots. They hadn't cleared out the students, so there were lots of people driving around, waiting for spaces to open up.

We pay for that parking, and the LHF doesn't deliver. There were a group of us (who've been going to games for over 20 years) who sometimes tailgate, or sometimes just have a couple of beers before hitting the road. Them days is gone. People were scattered to hell and back in those lots.

I'm not sure if it was on the last solicitation for money, but the LHF used to promise "preferred parking" for $600 and above. Well, that's just ********. We'd be better off with a C parking permit.

7. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

you already promised that extra pass to me P/C.

8. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

9. tj11_hookem

tj11_hookem 100+ Posts

Oh it's pretty damn bad. I parked on the street past Chicon, whatever that is. And that was at 2:00 on Friday for a half full stadium. Can you imagine what it will be like when the place is FULL? I'm young, so the long walk doesn't bother me. But when my parents want to come they will have to get there at least 2 hours early.

Not to mention they aren't allowing parking on MLK anymore.

Another great job.

10. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

A few things I have heard since Friday:
    1) Friday, many students were still parked in lots 104 and 103, severely limiting the number of spots for Foundation members. Considering we play quite a few games during the week this season, I'm not sure what their plan is to deal with this.
    2) The portion of lot 104 along MLK that is reserved for skybox owners may not stay that way all season. Really is ridiculous when you see that lot more than half empty in the 5th inning.
    3) As with every season, the cones along the curbs probably won't last long either. Every season, it seems, they start out coning all the curbs in 104, but it just never lasts.
    4) MLK parking: all it takes is 2 or 3 cars to start parking there and the rest will follow. It has always been no parking , but the number of cars that end up parking there always overwhelm any efforts to tow them.

11. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

12. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

I have to agree with those who don't understand the outrage over parking.

First of all, you don't pay for parking. You make a contribution to the LHF, and you state a preference for parking. For those of us who don't tailgate (and I dare say that's most of the fans), the changes are a minor inconvenience, if an inconvenience at all.

When Texas takes up intercollegiate tailgating as a sport, perhaps I'll be a bit more sympathetic, but not until then.

13. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

14. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

Some are missing the point. The University continues to "raise prices" and we continue to get less and less. Having to fork over a minimum of $400 more dollars per year to the LF just to park in the same lot we have for 25-30 years, only to arrive and find out we can't park there because they have to keep an empty lot for those empty skyboxes and we have to park behind centerfield, less we arrive 3 hours prior to the game....that's the issue.

It's no different than the football parking fiasco, just more geographically concentrated.

More money...less value. That should be the motto of the LF.

15. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

16. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

17. cloydtex

cloydtex 250+ Posts

18. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

Yeah, that's a realistic option.

19. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

20. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

I think you're jumping to conclusions, native. You need to differentiate between the staff and the board/powers that be. The staff at the LF is excellent, always courteous. They also do not make decisions, they merely implement them. How we can be "borderline" with regards to rules is confusing to me. My complaint is shared by at least 50 others whom we tailgate with as we stare at an empty parking lot that used to cost us half what we now pay to not have the opportunity to park there.

I'm glad you're so happy. I am too, just musing about the changes that often take some getting used to. I'm hardly the first LF donor to state that the value of our contribution seems decrease year after year. If you are sick of reading about it, stop reading Hornfans.

21. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

22. Ralphie

Ralphie 500+ Posts

native, I'm starting to think I've upset you. Please forgive me.

P/C, I forget not. But you may have to wait until the Stanford series for that beer. Not looking good for Tue/Wed games. Wed is a definite maybe though. Though I will need that extra 104 pass prior to then, please, thank you.

23. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

I seem to have misread the title, I expected a thread on pitching.

24. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

FYI. Parking & Transportation finally sent notices out to students yesterday regarding baseball and softball parking. They are going to shut down the lots in the morning on gameday.

found the email...
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Attention: All Members of the UT Austin Community

Baseball/Softball Season began on February 9, 2008 and runs through the end
    of May with game times beginning as early as 9am and as late 7:30pm. The
    following schedule is for the next two weeks (February 25th through March
    9th):

Baseball:

Tuesday, February 26th
    Wednesday, February 27th
    Tuesday, March 4th
    Wednesday, March 5th
    Friday, March 7th
    Saturday, March 8th
    Sunday, March 9th

Softball:

Friday, February 29th
    Saturday, March 1st
    Sunday, March 2nd

Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) is responsible for providing
    parking for all university-sponsored events. PTS attempts to balance the
    needs of all those who require parking in event areas to assure the least
    amount of disruptions as possible. When possible, PTS provides alternative
    parking areas for students and others who may be impacted.

Longhorn Foundation may use Lots 102, 103, 104, 110, 113, and 114, or any
    combination of these lots, beginning at 6am on game days through the end of
    the game. Lots that will be used for baseball/softball will be blocked and
    signage will be posted to assist you in locating available parking in the
    open Longhorn Lots. If all lots are full, uniformed PTS personnel will be
    available to provide additional parking locations at no cost to the permit
    holder. For lot locations visitThe Link click
    on "Interactive Campus Parking Map" then click on "Lots"

Surface Lot paid parking should be available for the night and weekend game
    days in the following lots. Lots will open for public parking three (3)
    hours before the game time. UT permit holders may park in these lots at
    no-charge, with the exception of the Trinity Garage (TRG).

Lot 102 $5.00
    Lot 70/99 $5.00
    Lot 80 $5.00
    Trinity Garage (TRG) $5.00

For lot locations visitThe Link click on
    "Interactive Campus Parking Map" then click on "Lots"

Please expect extra congestion around these areas on game days.

FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT THE PTS WEBSITE AT
    HTTP://WWW.UTEXAS.EDU/PARKING

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for
    supporting UT Austin in all endeavors.

Parking & Transportation Services
    The University of Texas at Austin
    Phone: 471-7275 (PARK)
    Fax: 471-4227
    parking@www.utexas.edu