LHN from the Asst AD Office

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by nwking, Sep 7, 2011.

1. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

Below is an email chain originally sent to Doloss Dodds. Received replies from an Asst AD regarding LHN.

Agree. I am a twc customer and banging on them to clear

Hook 'em, Horns!The Link

Chris Plonsky
    Women's AD/Sr. Associate AD M-W Athletics Ext. Services
    The University of Texas
    PO Box 7399
    Austin, TX 78713-7399

512 471 4787 w
    512 748 9325 c
    512 471 2378 f
    The Link

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 01:04 PM
    To: Plonsky, Chris
    Subject: Re: LHN

Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected and I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me. I'll make sure I do not add to the erroneous statements that are happening out there.

Fans wouldn't be "frustrated and making things up" if the TWC deal and other carriers would get it done. Its unfortunate such a great idea is causing such angst when we should all be focused on BYU and improving upon last year's season.

Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:26 PM
    Subject: LHN
    Wrong again. There is no "network will pick it up" policy the week of game.
    Big 12 TV partners get so many selections per year, and neither FSN nor ABC picked up the Rice game.
    Contracts with the conferences DO NOT WORK THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE.
    Texas fans are frustrated and now making things up that don't exist in the business contracts of the Big 12.

3rd tier programming is all that LHN has --- and that is product that is LEFT OVER after Big 12 tv partners pick events in ALL SPORTS — football, m/w basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer, Texas Relays, swimming, softball, etc.

Let me help you here — look at Rick's basketball schedule atThe Link See the TV listings? If it says ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN.com, Big12 Network or CBS, that means the games were picked by CONFERENCE TV partners.
    The others were "not picked" and the choice is to go dark.
    We choose to put the "not picked" games on LHN.

The same will be in effect for wbb and baseball and volleyball and soccer.

The Link

Christine A. (Chris) Plonsky
    Women's AD/Sr. Associate AD M-W Athletics External Services
    The University of Texas
    PO Box 7399, Austin, TX 78713-7399

Overnight: The University of Texas, Intercollegiate Athletics, 2100 San Jacinto Blvd., 224 Bellmont Hall, Austin, TX 78712

512 471 4787 office
    512 471 2378 fax
    512 748 9325 mobile

Hook 'em, Horns!

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:45:00 -0700
    To: Chris Plonsky <Chris.plonsky@athletics.utexas.edu>

I am not targeting any anger...just expressing my opinion. I believe it’s fruitless to press TWC. And, only slightly less fruitless to press my alma mater.

No, we are both correct. Rice was not picked up so LHN got it. However, its my opinion it would have been picked up a week or so before game time by a network we could actually get.

I have no doubt ESPN is a great partner and offers us an amazing opportunity.

However, at the end of the day, fans paid the price. Check out Orangebloods, Hornfans or Barking Carnival. Texas is not winning with the fans.

Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:36 AM
    Hi again
    No, you are incorrect. Rice was NOT PICKED by a network and that's the reason it fell to 3rd tier.
    So that meant the school was given the option on how to distribute it to its 3rd tier rightsholder. For us, that is ESPN.
    Don't use past years selections as your barometer.
    TV contracts cycle differently each year, and as you saw on opening weekend, games were on Friday, Thursday, Sat., Sun., Monday on the collegiate front.

ESPN……ESPN!!! Is the partner. They have launched 7 networks since 1979…..we need to trust and have faith in this partner.
    You are targeting your anger at UT — ESPN has provided our University with the most unique network in American (other than BYU's channel).

The product is terrific and worth distributing.

Every other game will be on either ABC or FSN if our team performs and games are selected for network slots. Some of these games already are picked (OU, Texas A&M, UCLA, BYU). Others, per usual, will be 6 or 12-day picks.
    The Link

The University of Texas

Overnight: The University of Texas, Intercollegiate Athletics, 2100 San Jacinto Blvd., 224 Bellmont Hall, Austin, TX 78712

512 471 4787 office
    512 471 2378 fax
    512 748 9325 mobile

Hook 'em, Horns!

Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:31:58 -0700
    To: Chris Plonsky <Chris.plonsky@athletics.utexas.edu>

Thanks for the response. However, my point remains that the fans are the ones losing on this deal. And, the fact that our experience is similar to the Big 10 and YES networks just means you didn't learned from their mistakes. I understand the Rice game was "leftover" but as in past years it would have been picked up by a network a week or two before game time had LHN not picked it up to show to a handful of people.

The advertising blitz was just disgusting to watch since we couldn't get the network.

Now you/ESPN/LHN (whomever) have no leverage to obtain a deal until we approach the Kansas game in October.

I consider this poor management by Texas and it shows the fans we are not important to the University.

Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:45 PM
    We received your email regarding the September 3 Rice-Texas game. We regret that TWC has not cleared LHN (many of our staff and our athletics depts' cable partner is TWC) yet, but ESPN remains in negotiation with them.

Remember that the programming aired by LHN is that which is left over after Big 12 tv partners ABC/ESPN and FSN make selections for football and ALL OTHER SPORTS. We absolutely understand our fans' sentiments, and they are important.

You will see the usual amount of programming for football on national carriers (this week ESPN2 vs BYU, UCLA on ABC, etc.). Same with men's basketball (all but 10 games will be on the usual carriers ESPN, ESPN2, etc.).

This LHN is a new world, but it will not be successful without time, negotiation and patience.

ESPN has made a tremendous commitment to UT with this LHN, and the carriers must receive "clamor" from their customers.
    When additional programming is announced this week, next week, the week after, the flesh-out of what viewers will be missing without carriage will become apparent. Like the Big 10 Network and the YES network, this is quality programming and it takes time to clear.

LHN had the rights to this Rice-Texas game, and there were no backdoor clearances for the game. Carriage for any future LHN programming must come as the result of signed contracts between ESPN and the carriers.

ESPN has "bought" this leftover programming and built Longhorn Network. As an ESPN owned and operated network, ESPN will be responsible for clearances, and the company's affiliate relations executives are working feverishly to get these deals consummated. They cleared Grande Communications prior to the Rice game. Unfortunately, Comcast and TWC are not in agreement form right now. Neither satellite operator — DirecTV or Dish -- has committed yet either, but again, all of these negotiations will happen.

We ask that you continue to understand the process and help make LHN a success.

The rate LHN is asking of the carriers is one that will ensure the broadest distribution possible.

We appreciate your loyalty and passion for UT, and definitely understand the angst.

Thanks for sharing your opinion with us.
    The Link

The University of Texas

512 471 4787 office
    512 471 2378 fax
    512 748 9325 mobile

Hook 'em, Horns!

To Deloss Dodds:

Unlike so many other email you must receive on this subject, I do not claim to understand how you fit in to this deal and what is happening between the major carriers and LHN to this network broadcast. However, bottom line is many fans missed the game, I heard numerous accounts of scalpers making more money than ever on a Rice game because people who prefer to watch on TV couldn't do so.

Now, LHN has lost its leverage of holding out with a game looming. If nothing happened before yesterday, why would it happen now or next week.

I'm primarily interested in TWC picking it up and I think it's crazy that the deal wasn't a virtual lock with the largest carrier in the Austin market.

The fans paid the price of the LHN last night. Seems we could've learned from similar growing pains that impacted the Big 10 network and avoided this unfortunate situation.

2. UpperDeck

UpperDeck 25+ Posts

Good clarifications.

RE:

3. reyhorn

reyhorn 100+ Posts

4. HornCyclist

HornCyclist 500+ Posts

I'm surprised she got so testy and defensive. I guess the athletic department is tired of hearing these things, though they should have known it was coming.

I find it hard to believe that the game would not have been picked by a widely available carrier. When was the last time a Texas game was not picked up?

5. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

Horns cyclist, I agree. Was surprised she was defensive and I also don't buy her statements that nobody would have picked up the game. But, I was appreciated that she responded and was candid so I didn't push it further.

6. Tan Ted Deki

Tan Ted Deki 500+ Posts

Thanks for sharing. That was informative for me.

A little part of me questions whether there is spin on some of this but, regardless, it is a good reminder of the content we will get (baseball, b-ball, etc.) that we would have no opportunity to see otherwise.

Here's hoping it eventually hits all our households and we get the benefits of this now that we've suffered some of the costs as fans.

7. F1Longhorn

F1Longhorn 250+ Posts

I'm sorry but that response sounds like a load of BS. Had the LHN not had the Rice game it would have been picked up on a local network, or at the very least on PPV so that people could see the game. Watching choppy internet feed at a bar wasn't how I wanted to watch the game.

8. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

9. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

That doesn't make any sense. She said that some games are picked up as 6-12 day picks. Kansas almost definitely would have been. BYU was being considered for LHN last week and that was already scheduld on national TV.

10. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

You guys need to calm down. I am plus one for this network. I hope the impatient folks like you guys don't eff this thing up.

This is the next evolution and it IS going to happen.

11. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

Kujotx, as a fan and consumer we have a right to be heard. I chose to contact Deloss' office because it's clear TWC isn't listening and doesn't really care.

I do not see any conceivable way sharing my concerns may "eff" it up. Give me a break.

12. Lancehorn

Lancehorn 250+ Posts

I work in the industry but have no part in the negotiations for this deal. But here is what I can tell you from a distributors point of view.

1. The ESPN asking price of forty cents per subscribing household for TWC, Comcast and Directtv regardless of the individual households' desire for the channel is unprecedented and ludicrous for a network with no proven audience or ratings history. Seriously...ESPN is leveraging their other networks against it, doing all they can to put lipstick on this pig. As they currently shop it, it is almost record breaking in the disconnect in value.

2. ESPN has overpaid for the product and they are praying that they can politically and through public campaigns force their cable/sat partners to bail their asses out by also overpaying for that premium. They expect the cable/sat companies to absorb the loss on the deal that they made, or to pass the expense along to ALL households monthly subscription rates regardless of their interest in the networks.
    3. They are demanding a lower tier channel placement across millions of homes in addition to the price per subscriber. The overall value to a cable company for the lower channels in most cases exceeds the TOTAL VALUE of the Longhorn network deal overall. Many networks would pay the cable/sat companies for that location on the channel line-up expecting to make up the other revenue in a subscriber fee with Advertising. It is very telling that none of the parties, even ESPN, seem confident enough in covering their costs with just the advertising revenue alone (read, it just ain't important to non-UT sports fans, therefore they way overestimated the value of the audience for volleyball and re-run coaches shows)
    4. The current outcry from Texas Ex e-mails chains and fan requests to add the network, is truly miniscule compared to the organized groups that fight rate increases and try to claim the cable/sat companies are forcing unwanted expense on the average home. Trust me, for every e-mail you currently send to TWC, Comcast or DTV, there are exponentially more arguing the other direction.
    5. Some of those same distribution companies have already successfully shunned a similar attempt by the NFL and the NFL network to pull the same thing, but even with a more proven product and a much heavier outcry from fans. Here is a secret, even the outcry from all disgruntled NFL fans doesn't make a blip to the companies that stand to lose millions more for taking the deal rather than chancing subscriber defections. Hell Time Warner told Jerry Jones, the NFL network et al in Dallas to come back when they find earth in their asking price...to the top rated sports franchise in the WORLD..IN DALLAS didn't get the deal done because they expected the cable company to increase your bill by over $2 per month. Again, probably worth the $2 if you are a 24-7 football fan, but if you are an average citizen taking that increase for the sake of a very vocal (but not as vocal as their self import belies) minority on something that you might not watch much is tough to stomach.
    6. The cable companies and sat companies will always be faced with the public outcry, because instead of YOU writing a separate $5 check to ESPN networks, another separate check for a $3 fee to NBC networks or Fox networks or MTV networks on a monthly basis...they roll them all up into one payment and send it to you. You see them as the bad guy for raising your rates regardless of if the cost of their product increases. At the same time the networks then launch "PR campaigns" trying to encourage their viewers to call and complain, but they fail to mention how they are gouging the delivery companies at your expense in those campaigns. It is basically legal racketeering. Or free enterprise business at its best. depending on your POV.

Guys, the truth is unless ESPN decides to drastically change the asking price, which would get the channel on the air and allow ad revenues to begin, or they are willing to give up something on the back-end in ownership (which then actually makes it worthwhile for the carriers) this deal ain't close to being done.

While you are looking at the Kansas game as "surely it makes sense by then" it looks like ESPN is thinking "I have 20 years to figure out how to make back this money, so if I lose year one trying to PR, politicize, pressure to get the deal I want... I might not get that but I will get more than if i settle early."

The loser is the fan who expected more. The University is fine...they get the money and the pub rgardless of how many households get the feed. The problem is that they can't control the monster that ESPN has become, and ESPN although big, isn't exactly the monster it thinks it is when it rolled out this unprecidented asking price. So the University has little to no control and will take black eye after black eye along with the Cable/Sat carriers until someone using logic instead of emotion is willing to look at the true value to the AVERAGE household on the asking price.

Buckle up and grab a book. This cross country trip is probably just beginning. You want to have an impact? Hammer all parties involved, and follow the dollars not just the latest spin from ESPN.com or any one party in this group. Right now everyone is acting in their own best interest until the deal can be a Win-Win-Win. Right now they are offering a Win-Lose-Lose.

13. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts