LHN PSA

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by horninchicago, Aug 13, 2019.

1. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

when/where did Kern Tipps announce?

what did he say to Freddie?

2. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I miss WALLY PRYOR....knew him for over 10 years....such a hoot and the BEST PA announcer Texas could have ever had....it's really tough listening to Craig Way....

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Kern Tipps was the legendary announcer on The Humble Oil & Refining Network, which broadcast the SWC Game of the Week on the radio. He brought the game to life like no one I've ever heard. He had his own little colloquialisms that were his and his alone.

My favorite - "making blueberry muffins out of mud pies"

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

On man - another "you are getting old man!"

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I remember first listening to Kern Tipps on my little transistor radio in the early - mid-60's.

His broadcasts were unique.

I remember him saying "in a jiffy" often.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

"He saddled him up and rode him outta bounds".........remember sitting out in the car with my dad here in Shreveport on cool fall afternoons tuning in the old AM radio (Car picked up better I guess because of the ant.) to find the Longhorns on the radio and listen to his call...........Connie Alexander was also a good one from back in the day on the Humble Network.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

"Just a little bit of real estate"

• Like Like x 1
  8. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I remember doing the same with my Dad....we would go and sit in the car and listen to the UT games....
    I distinctly remember the Longhorn Band being heard in the background playing this song over and over (Texas Fight)….I remember the cheerleaders in the background yelling over the huge speakers they used to have on the sideline (never dreaming I'd be standing there yelling the same thing 10 years from then)….I remember hearing the Longhorn Band playing "The Green Leaves of Summer" from the movie, The Alamo and "under the direction of Vincent R. DiNino"....50 years later I am having BBQ with Vincent R. DiNino (age 90) on the golf course next to the Rose Bowl prior to our playing Alabama. Great, Great memories....

• Like Like x 2
  9. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Watching my recording of the 2005 game against Kansas. I was on a charter flight trip in Buffalo. Dragged my partner to a sports bar to watch.

I recall still seething from the 2004 post-game Mangino remarks about the officiating and Texas being favored in that due to the BCS.

Some things stand out. First, it was 35-0 with more than 12 minutes left in the FIRST half. Very much like the CCG later where we scored our 70th and final point about halfway through he 3rd quarter.

Second, Nessler remarked that Mack had never had a player leave with eligibility remaining VY was the first, apparently. Oh, what could have been had he stayed.

Who else thinks Texas would have won the NC in 2006 with VY and at least one of 2008 and 2009b with Colt, if not both? Possibly 2 Heismans. Am I crazy in thinking VY's early departure changed Texas's trajectory to the sole benefit of mobilehoma, in terms of the Big XII and Heismans?

10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Also never noticed that when KU scores a rare touchdown, there band plays a song very similar to one of the aggroid tunes they play incessantly. Boycott for sure.