LHN

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BabyBoomer, Aug 14, 2012.

1. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

2. Joe2005

Joe2005 500+ Posts

3. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

4. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

5. horn123

horn123 500+ Posts

Less than 2 weeks to go, and no major carrier. Happy now ?
    The clock is ticking.

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

7. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

In Bohls' column today his prediction is TWC or a major provider will sign a deal by Sept 1. LHN you have just received the biggest kiss of death yet!

8. MojoMan

MojoMan 1,000+ Posts

9. jacksmack

jacksmack 25+ Posts

tick tock tick tock

10. SouthernSooner

SouthernSooner 100+ Posts

And think, UT and OU fans could be planning West Coast football trips this Fall, building rivalries with USC, Oregon, Washington, and still making tons of cash in the Pac 12 instead of flailing away launching 3rd tier networks that no one wants (I'm not hopeful for the quality of OU's 1,000 of Fox SW programming either).

Oh well...

11. 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 25+ Posts

I have Verizon FIOS internet. Can I connect to LHN even if I cannot get the Verizon TV package?

12. 3rd Generation

3rd Generation 25+ Posts

Sadly, the answer appears to be NO. I may only stream it if I get my tv service from Verizon FIOS TV and it is not offered in my neighborhood even though I have Verizon FIOS for my internet connection.

13. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

Again Belmont can stick the LHN up their collective arses sideways. [​IMG]

14. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

What I don't understand is why hasn't ESPN offered the LHN for an internet subscription until most carriers pick it up? I would pay up to $10 a month to stream it to my computer. Do they not possess the technology to do this? I bet most of us here and most Longhorn fans in general would do this. They could skip the middle men and go straight to the customer on this and still get advertising dollars for it.

The LHN seems like the perfect online channel if you ask me, tons of fans scattered across the nation and world; and they have a concentrated fan base in the state.

15. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

That is a very good question. I would think that cable and satellite providers would be afraid of this. All it would take is an HDMI cord for people to watch on their big screen tv's and then the light would go off in their heads. "Hey, I don't need cable at all. I can watch things on my computer and connect to the big screen. Cable is a waste of money". Voila, a new wave of cutting the cable exodus begins.

16. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

per burton over at 247 ESPN is trying to get the baylor game moved to the LHN.

17. Bruthaman

Bruthaman 250+ Posts

Baylor would be stupid to go for this. They need all the exposure they can get. But hey, money talks. Im sure texas is going to offer them 5 mil to do it.

18. PropositionJoe

savvy move to offer it to baylor especially with the fact that they're going to be facing costs for their new stadium.

19. seb44

seb44 250+ Posts

Why would we have to pay Baylor anything to move the game to LHN?

20. Bruthaman

Bruthaman 250+ Posts

Just like you had to pay Kansas last year right? They have to agree to be on the network and last year, part of the deal with KU was 5 mil on top of online streaming.

They may agree straight up, but texas cant just say that the game is going to be on TLN and Baylor have no say in it. It has to be negotiated and Im sure they arent going to do it for free if they do.

21. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

First off... I know that this is a touch subject because I don't have the LHN and will be pretty pissed of come Saturday when I have to figure out how I am watching this game. I see all angles on this argument and as a consumer, I am very irate.

Bellmont... does it really hurt them at all? I mean.. they have a product "Texas Football" and they have extreme demand for it. They have Million$ from a TV deal that is producing excellent content that few can see. The attention all though negative at the moment is still there. They have a 100 thousand plus seat stadium that will not go empty for two lack luster games and a potential for a third.

Seriously... we as horn fans are not going to abandon the team despite the fact that we can't watch 2 games so... yes we lose. ESPN is not loosing too much sleep yet over this yet because it knows it has millions of longhorn faithfuls all over the country wanting this network. They will not budge on negotiations.

I personally prefer my big screen over the Stadium any day but I will tell you this much. I am more willing to drop more money than the game is worth just to be able to watch the dam thing live. The consumer does not dictate the outcome in many situations and in this one the majority of us lose. I think we can call and gripe and threaten to leave our providers but until another big network provider picks up the LHN that actually covers a large area, Grande's small area and Fios small space in Texas are not going to account for much negotiating power.

22. seb44

seb44 250+ Posts

So what network are we moving the Baylor game from?

23. PropositionJoe

i would think that the UT/baylor game would at least be an ABC regional game, which is produced by ESPN.

24. Bruthaman

Bruthaman 250+ Posts

ESPN and Fox have first dibs I think. But, from what I remember, a conference team has to agree to have a game on the network before TLN can show it. If Baylor says no, then thats it, all bets are off.

25. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

DeLoss was to have briefed the Board of Regents today, but the item was pulled from the agenda: Link

27. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

28. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

A big part of this is the stranglehold cable and satellite have on us and the industry. How they are able to cram so many ****** stations down their customers throats and the way they do it is sickening. The vomit you have to buy to get one or two channels you will watch in a higher tier is pathetic.

Play this game. Get your channel lineup card or go online and find your tier of subscription. How many channels do you really watch? Now, divide that number by what you pay. Guess what?! You are a sucker, sucker.

I remember a few years ago a congressman was trying to put through an a la carte regulation on the industry. It would make them let us, the consumer, pick and choose what channels we wanted with no forced ones added. The price would be nominal.

Yeah, this would mean the demise or higher cost of some networks but if they are not really in demand, adios. I did my math and I came to 8 channels out of 150 provided.

This is our problem. It's the way things are now that makes for such tedious negotiations twixt big companies like ESPN and TWC/Comcast/Direct and Dish. That they take into consideration past bad blood at the bargaining table, future negotiations for existing AND newly formed networks. There is a pound of flesh for every ounce of debate.

Who suffers one way or another? Us, the consumers. This particular channel (LHN) is a really small fish in the big polluted sea. We just happen to have an enormous appetite for it.

I challenge you to go look at your channels list and play that game. It is not really too much fun.

29. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

^ People keep freely choosing to pay for it, which is the same as saying "We don't want you to change anything."

30. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Taps, you are a fool. Belmont loves people like you. In politics it's called "a useful idiot." You provide cover for greed and get nothing in return except some sort of vicarious sexual release as you delusionally seem to believe you are an insider who gets it. Well you don't. When you say "can't lose what you never had," then you reveal the weakness of your argument; these first two games would have been on PPV. Dodd's admitted as much in the article today in the Dallas Morning News. But this type of thing sails completely over your head.

Bringing the Baylor game to the LHN is BAD; not good. It is forcing more and more product onto a niche market that is currently unavailable to most people just to cover their asses.

In the end it is the kool-aid drinkers who have enabled the University to sell their loyalty. You admire big dollar deals because you admire money. That is a severe character flaw.

The argument that anyone else would have sold it to ESPN means nothing. It just tells me that someone would sell the Garden of Eden and restrict access for the right amount of money. In the long run those aren't the people that I want in my life.