LHN's future

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by George Bailey, Oct 19, 2021.

1. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Gosh, where else will I get to see my favorite Longhorn Films and Commencement ceremonies?

It's usefulness has run out. I enjoy pressers, that's about it. Gameday is terrible. Horrible crew, except Galindo.

3. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

I love it during baseball season.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. horninchicago

I loved it, too, for volleyball and other sports I was becoming interested in watching before they all went West Mall on us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It had some nice conceptual stuff before the launch (particularly showcasing HS games), and its coverage of the third tier televised games was actually quite good. Can't be beat for volleyball and baseball. Even soccer.

But Nebraska's and A&M's pity party over the "unfair" advantage of "having TV" really soured the channel before it got off the ground. One of the PA's told me they had to literally scrap the programming lineup for everything except Mack's show and All-Access (the latter of which TH severely limited) just weeks before launch. There was supposed to be a weekly Craig Way show over the HS leaderboards and the NCAA nixed it. Which is effing ridiculous because he does the same exact show on FSSW (now Bally). There was also a reality-style show that would follow players around... also scrapped after filming had already started.

Augie's food show was actually a spur-of-the-moment add.

The dumb thing about all of this is that no one who is being recruited to play college sports at Texas watches TV. The network started right when streaming started to overtake normal TV, but young people were already way past that. Anyone with teenagers understands that kids don't just "turn on channels" any longer.

Regarding the article, I don't think ESPN will hurt for a new "business daddy" if Disney goes through with the dump. But they'd definitely get rid of LHN.

6. horninchicago

This is why people who have countered my criticism of some of the non-sports programming as a great recruiting tool of what the university is about are wrong. I agree with you here, no recruits give a crap about that stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

I think we all know LHN is closing down the day UT joins the SEC. I'd much prefer rebranding it the SEC West Network so our pals in College Station would have to see their coverage generated out of Austin, TX.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Watch Women's Soccer

• Like Like x 1
  9. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Much like the WNBA, why?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Because you like it?

I ask the same thing about NASCAR and don't expect a response that'll line up with how I feel about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Not at all. I couldnt stand to watch either. WNBA cannot support itself. Both are boring to me.

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So where do we go to see 8 reruns of the tennis match, swim meet, or soccer game?

ABC?
    NBC?
    ESPN?
    CBS?
    PBS?
    Oxygen?

13. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

ABC/ESPN streaming with people trying out.

14. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

Interesting to see that Lowell Galindo has "graduated" from LHN to calling college games on ESPN.

15. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, they're starting to strip it for parts. I think the former players are all kind of "auditioning" and putting together tapes so that they can go to Bally, NBC Sports, Comcast Sports Net, etc.

16. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

As long as the checks/wire transfers keep coming in don't worry about the programming. Who knows how much longer we will get to see baseball and the Texas Relays on something other than a $EC stream hosted by a 4th year R-TV Intern.

17. horninchicago

Are y'all saying Galindo has left LHN? I haven't tuned in much lately.

18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No, Lowell is just getting some outside work in addition to LHN. Much like many of the other on-air talent that has been with LHN at one time or another.

19. horninchicago

Okay. Seems odd that would happen now. Has it happened in previous years.

They did a big birthday thing for him recently on Texas Gameday and he sounded like Jimbo going on and on about how great LHN is.

20. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

I turned on a Thursday night game...can't even remember who the team were. It surprised me that it was Lowell's voice. I haven't heard him on Saturday yet...

21. horninchicago

He did do whatever game earlier in the season was on LHN.

22. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

I have enjoyed the women's sports and baseball. Will any of that be available when we switch. If you have not been watching the volleyball team you should start.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I haven't seen the LHN mentioned as to its definite fate when we are officially part of the SEC, but I expect it come to an end, which is too bad since it carries so much content from our other sports programs. There is also an SEC Network or was at one time.

24. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

The beauty of the SEC Network is that they can split up all of the third tier rights and spread it out over a bunch of SEC Network iterations at any given moment. Three football games against nonconference opponents all at 7 pm? Done. Six baseball games at once? Done. Two women's soccer and four volleyball games? Done.

The fogies need to learn how to use the ESPN app to make it work, but that shouldn't be a problem for anyone with a TV newer than 15 years old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. horninchicago

26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If the $EC goes to pods the LHN "team" will become the $EC Pod "team". The bright lights in Austin had better not let E$PN escape one dollar that they owe to Texas.

27. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

My guess is the SEC Alternate will morph into the SEC West and the current SEC channel will be SEC East. The LHN is going the way of the dodo bird.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

This is very true and add the fact we were at the beginning of our 11 year run of mediocrity in football and then basketball started to become pretty uninteresting, there is not much of a reason for many younger people to tune in.

29. horninchicago

Was it ever realistically meant to be a recruiting tool?

30. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I think so. Maybe not by ESPN, but by UT.
    Used properly it would have given us exposure no other teams have.

• Agree Agree x 1