List of factors in conference realignment

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TexasEd, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

I am just putting together what I think the factors might be in some priority order. I know I am not exactly right but here goes:

First tier factors:
    1. TV revenue (a and b are probably only available in some form of the Big XII - priority order)
    - a. Separate Longhorn Network
    and/or
    - b. Unequal revenue sharing based on appearances
    - c. Equal revenue sharing in a new conference (excludes a and b)

2. Academic Standards (want all three)
    - a. AAU schools
    - b. Partial qualifier limits
    - c. research institutions

Second Tier factors:
    3. Regional Proximity -Having schools close enough for fan travel (Why Big10 is a hard sell)
    - a. This is why there is discussion that if we go somewhere else we take 4 or 5 other schools with us. Our closest Big 10 opponent would be Nebraska at 820 miles. Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State as our farthest opponents in a new Pac16 division would all be about 1000 miles away but arguably easier to get to with Southwest Flights to within 30 miles.
    - b. The SEC would offer closer opponents, but see next section. I think that is insurmountable.

4. Cultural/Other factors - I am not saying Texas is a "fit" with anyone outside the Southwest, only that there are places that fit less than others (I think this is where the SEC get's eliminated)
    - a. Reputation for integrity in recruiting (not the SEC)
    - b. Destinations worth traveling to for road games not just the game - There are probably 7or 8 places in the Pac 10 that I would rather travel to than the best places in the SEC. IMO, Northwestern would probably be the best trip in the Big 10 as far as locations go.

Based on this list it looks like the only really viable options, in no particular order, are to continue the Big XII in some form or to go to the Pac 10 with a contingent of regional opponents.

Thoughts?

2. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

What do you mean by cultural fit? Just asking.

3. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

I am not saying we are a cultural fit anywhere but Texas, but see the integrity and destination items for what I do mean.

4. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

5. UTEng

UTEng 100+ Posts

Nebraska may have to take couch-torching lessons at tOSU. They haven't had any reason to torch anything in 15 years.

Oh, no, wait...they did win a women's volleyball title. [​IMG]

6. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

I disagree.

At Big 10 schools couch burning is in order win or lose.

Nebraska fans won't know where to start.

7. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Based on the way things look at this time I think this one is the overriding priority: