Livan to the Twins, Stros offer Chacon

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by DLev, Feb 12, 2008.

1. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

Crap. I really wanted the Stros to sign him.The Link

The Stros have made one move to get pitching, offering Shawn Chacon a contractThe Link

2. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

3. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Once again, what better options are out there? And once again, he's not going to break the bank. This would be a relatively low-risk move by the Astros.

By the way, it's pretty sobering when Shawn Chacon is the Astros' best 3/4/5 option from the free agent market.

4. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

5. texashorne

texashorne 250+ Posts

This is a great pick up, and i think Chacon sees it as a contract year of sorts. Roy, Sampson, Wandy, Woody, and Chacon is not world beater, but its not as bad as half the other clubs in the MLB. Paulino could get into the mix too. The stros certainly are sitting in a better position than they were in Novemeber.

6. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

Chacon's not going to win them a division, but that's really not much money. I think they'll get $2M worth of decent innings out of him.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This team is defintely going to have an edge. It seems like Drayton gave the GM permission to pursue players with "history."

Anyway, Chacon is worth the risk under the circumstances. Shades of a Hunsicker move IMO. Did they disclose the incentives terms?

I also have high hopes for Paulino. Dude throws hard. Hopefully, the new hierachy will have a greater willingness to advance the talented young guys. But, then again, I am always optimistic this time of year.