Liverpool 07/08 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Longhorn Tim, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

We get it started this Saturday against Wrexham. I haven't checked, but I assume this match will only be available online (LFC Season Ticket or other)?

2. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

as far as I know only on EST.

It might be replayed on LFC Tv on GolTV later in the week though. I noticed my TIVO is recording it next week.

3. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

HALF-TIME UPDATE: Liverpool 3, Wrexham 0

Admittedly, it's only Wrexham, but Pennant has been stunning so far. We have a hat-trick from Besian Idrizaj (4, 16, 26) all very well-taken and all on excellent service for Jermaine. He is easily and obviously the best player on the pitch.

Wholesale changes are due for the second half, but here's the starting lineup:

---------------Martin--------------
    Finn---Hobbs---Paletta---Arbeloa
    Pennant--Sissoko--Peltier--Hammill
    ---------Idrizaj------Brouwer-------

4. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

If you haven't watched today's match against Crewe, I highly reccomend it. Andre Voronin was VERY impressive. Very strong on the ball, smart, and worked very hard.

Roque also has a good outing at CB.

El Zhar, however, looks to be rubbish.

5. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Werder Bremen v. Liverpool FC
    2:15 ET Setanta Sports

This one should feature all of the new signings. I really hope Lucas gets in, but seeing Babel, Benayoun, and Torres in action should suffice. Bremen's a good team to play for a pre-season.

The wait is over.

6. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Voronin opens his LFC account with a scrappy goal, nicking a backpass from the LB to the CB, taking a touch to get around the keeper, then slotting home.

Pennant's been active and has seen a lot of the ball, but his final ball has been shite every time. He won a free kick, which the left-footed wizard JAR took, scoring on an absolute missile from about 30 yards out. The keeper got a hand to it and might now need x-rays. [​IMG]

7. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Voronin opens his LFC account with a scrappy goal, nicking a backpass from the LB to the CB, taking a touch to get around the keeper, then slotting home.

Pennant's been active and has seen a lot of the ball, but his final ball has been shite every time. He won a free kick, which the left-footed wizard JAR took, scoring on an absolute missile from about 30 yards out. The keeper got a hand to it and might now need x-rays. [​IMG]

2-1 at the break.

8. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

2-1 Pool at the half. Replay at 9:30 Central in case some missed it.

Voronin is making a believer out of me.

Can't wait to see the new lads in the second half.

***FULL-TIME UPDATE***

3-2 to Liverpool. Voronin scores a second on a counter attack that was very well finished. How did we get this guy for a free?

Also great to see the new boys get some time on the pitch. Torres and Kuyt linked up beautifully a couple of times and Babel displayed some skill as well.

OTOH, the defense was SHOCKING all day. Free runners and easy crosses. Rafa will have to get this sorted out.

9. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Torres looked pretty good in his debut. Fought hard for the ball and nearly converted two difficult chances. One was well-saved by the keeper, the other went a few inches wide.

I also liked what I saw out of Benayoun.

10. rustjs1

rustjs1 100+ Posts

Torres was so close a few times, just couldn't finish. Great work ethic and could tell he was really pushing it tonight

Voronin is making lots of people believers - I've read on Liverpool boards where most of the posters think he will be in the starting 11. Rafa's got some big decisions coming up

Can't wait for Masch and Kewell to get back with the club - will be fun to watch

11. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

12. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

I'm probably the biggest Benayoun fan there is. He's a clever dribbler who scores the occasional wonder goal. For 5 mill pounds or whatever, he was a steal. He also can play either wing or AMC.

13. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

I agree. Every time I watched West Ham last year, I cam away impressed with Yossi. I'm very pleased to get him, especially for what we had to pay.

BTW, the Auxerre match on Friday is also on Setanta. [​IMG]

14. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

15. rustjs1

rustjs1 100+ Posts

Any Reds in Dallas or know where the supporters club meets (if there is one here)? It seemed there were plenty of people at the CL final party in May, but my buddy and I would watch matches at the Londoner and there were never any other Liverpool supporters. Trinity Hall maybe?

16. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

17. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

JAR is just not a good defender, IMO. He's much better going forward. Besides that, Rafa has clearly stated that he wants 2 quality players at each position.

Looks like Georgio Chiellini from Juve is our backup plan.

The Link

Italian ace eyes Reds switch Thu, Jul 19 2007 09:52
    Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini claims he is considering a move to Liverpool after a fall-out with new coach Claudio Ranieri.

The left-back has been angry at the Turin club's reluctance to discuss a new contract and reports in Italy claim he could move on this summer.

Chiellini is contracted to 2011, having penned a deal last October, but feels he deserves an improved offer having helped Juve win promotion back into Serie A.

The 22-year-old defender was the subject of a bid from Liverpool earlier this summer, believed to be in the region of £5million, but Juventus rejected the offer and are thought to want £7million.

The player's representative revealed: "It is obvious that if he receives limited time in the side next term then other options will have to be looked at.

"I am sure that if an official offer came from Liverpool, it would be a tempting solution."

18. George-Best

George-Best 100+ Posts

The "two players" at every position policy is why Heinze wants to leave United. He wants to be the unquestioned starter, which he wouldn't be at United where a healthy Evra is preferred.

His eventual departure will leave United a bit thin at LB where Silvestre or Evans will have to deputize. However, it is difficult to tell a starter for Argentina that they are second choice.

19. IcyHotStunta

IcyHotStunta 100+ Posts

I don't think Chielini will leave Juve. They don't have a LB worth a crap other than him. Salahamid-whatever from Bayern Munich was signed, but as a utility winger and fullback.

He's just whining for attention. Juve would have to sell a high-quality LB before selling him. I just don't see them in the market for one.

20. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

I'd love Chiellini, but I don't see a future Azzurri star leaving Serie A, much less Juve.

Riise is really hit or miss as a LB. He's great going forward (though his crossing isn't always the best), hits a wicked free kick, and has a great workrate. But he tends to get turned inside out by the better dribblers - Messi, Joe Cole, etc. He's sufficient enough in the EPL, but he's definitely the weak link along the back line.

It's gonna be awhile before Insua is ready. Arbeloa provides decent cover, but he's not a natural LB and he's got the same problems as Riise, though he's a bit better of a defender and dribbler, but doesn't have nearly the shot that JAR has.

21. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

If an of you were planning on watching the friendly against Auxerre from today, save yourself the trouble. You'll never get those 90 minutes back. A dreadful and uninteresting affair. Yosi is the only player who really seemed to care at all.

Ryan Babel looked horrible. I can only hoped that he was exhausted from training.

Based on the 4 friendlies so far, here's how I see it against Villa on the 11th:

-------------------Reina-----------------
    Finnan--Carra----Agger----Riise
    Pennant--Xabi----Stevie G--Yosi
    ---------Torres-----Voronin---------

22. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

23. mdmost

mdmost 100+ Posts

OK. I think I am going to try to get into watching the EPL and specifically Liverpool this season. When does the season officially start? On August 11th with Aston Villa? Is Kuyt coming back or did he get transferred? Which is the best way to watch Liverpool? Setanta or GolTV? Is the lineup in the previous post the starting 11? Who did Liverpool lose from last season's squad? I know Bellamy and Garcia. A lot of questions I know but help a beginner out.

24. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Congratulations on choosing to back the most successful team in the history of English football! Your answers:

1. The EPL begins on 11 August away to Villa, followed by a home match with Chelski. We also have a Champions League Qualifier in that time frame.

2. Kuyt is still with the club.

3. Most of Liverpool's matches are on Setanta. A few are on Fox Soccer Channel. If you're truly hardcore, every match is available over the internet (e-season ticker, others). GolTV does not show the EPL.

3. The previous post is my opinion of the starting XI. It's not terribly relevant because Rafa Benitez is notorious for squad rotation.

4. I have another thread called "Liverpool Silly Season". On the 4th page their is an up-to-date list of Ins and Outs. The Outs are Dudek, Bellamy, Fowler, Garcia, Cisse, Pongolle.

25. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

26. mdmost

mdmost 100+ Posts

Ok a few more questions. I really don't have the $$$ to go with both packages on Direct TV to get both Fox Soccer Channel and Setanta. I really have to choose one or the other. Will Setanta get me most of the Liverpool matches? Are they live or tape delayed? I really only care to watch EPL. I caught some games on FSN that were replays of big teams against smaller teams like Arsenal against Wigan. Will Setanta get me good matches like Liverpool vs. Chelsea or ManU? Has Hicks buying the team energized the players at all? What is the main weakness Liverpool has? Who are the best players outside of Gerrard? Who are the rising stars who are the cusp of being great?

27. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Of the 38 EPL matches for Pool last year, I'd guess ~ 25 were on Setanta, 8 on FSC, and a couple that weren't on.

Setanta also had some of the Champions League last year.

For FA Cup, most early round matches will be PPV.

28. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

All the new arrivals (Torres, Babel, and now Leiva), have been cleared to play in the Asia Cup final tomorrow against Pompey. I certainly hope Lucas gets on the pitch as I am anxious to see him in action with the 1st XI.

29. rustjs1

rustjs1 100+ Posts

Just a heads up to all of the Dallas Reds - Liverpool FC supporters club will be watching all of the Games at Trinity Hall in Mockingbird station, which luckily for me is pretty close to my place

30. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Sebastian Leto finally gets his EU passport.

Gives us another option on the left wing. Haven't seen him play yet, but he's a pretty highly-rated prospect, and will be at Rafa's disposal for the Rotterdam tournament.