Liverpool FC 2008 - 09 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Longhorn Tim, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

EPL schedule has been released. We should be 3-0 when the Scum come to town 9/13.

2008-09 PREMIER LEAGUE FIXTURE LIST

AUGUST

16 Sunderland (a)
    23 Middlesbrough (h)
    30 Aston Villa (a)

SEPTEMBER

13 Manchester United (h)
    20 Stoke City (h)
    27 Everton (a)

OCTOBER

4 Manchester City (a)
    18 Wigan Athletic (h)
    25 Chelsea (a)
    29 Portsmouth (h)

NOVEMBER

1 Tottenham Hotspur (a)
    8 West Bromwich Albion (h)
    15 Bolton Wanderers (a)
    22 Fulham (h)
    29 West Ham United (h)

DECEMBER

6 Blackburn Rovers (a)
    13 Hull City (h)
    20 Arsenal (a)
    26 Bolton Wanderers (h)
    28 Newcastle United (a)

JANUARY

10 Stoke City (a)
    17 Everton (h)
    27 Wigan Athletic (a)
    31 Chelsea (h)

FEBRUARY

7 Portsmouth (a)
    21 Manchester City (h)
    28 Middlesbrough (a)

MARCH

4 Sunderland (h)
    14 Manchester United (a)
    21 Aston Villa (h)

APRIL

4 Fulham (a)
    11 Blackburn Rovers (h)
    18 Arsenal (h)
    25 Hull City (a)

MAY

2 Newcastle United (h)
    9 West Ham United (a)
    16 West Bromwich Albion (a)
    24 Tottenham Hotspur (h)

2. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

just waiting for the friendlies to be announced now.

Villarreal on July 30th is a firm date.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

I wish Jozy would be there for the 7/30 friendly.

And a thorough shellacking of that whiny ************ Martin O'Neill is most definitely in order.

4. jmann09

jmann09 250+ Posts

think we should shell out the dough for barry?

5. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

6. TexonLongIsland

7. DeadHeadHorn

DeadHeadHorn 500+ Posts

Dossena, Barry, Villa, and Milner in.

Alonso, Crouchy, Riise, Pennant, Carson out.

Loan out Anderson, Hamill, Antwi and El Zhar. Promote Nemeth to the first team. Danny Guthrie is a player we could loan out again, but I'd kinda like him around to add to our depth, especially as Xabi looks sure to leave.

8. Hornin Hong Kong

Hornin Hong Kong 1,000+ Posts

I would just like to comment that Torres is the finest female striker in the history of football

9. jmann09

jmann09 250+ Posts

spurs are garbage. go work on crawling out of the bottom half

10. Hornin Hong Kong

so pretty - I would love to have him on my team even though he looks like a particularly ugly chick

11. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

12. Squall

Squall 500+ Posts

I like Riise, keep him in there!

13. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

14. TexonLongIsland

not watching the game, but just saw that Reina, Arbeloa and Xabi (he's still ours for now) are in the team against Greece.

But Spain is losing 0-1 in the 2nd half [​IMG]

15. Hornin Hong Kong

What you don't get is I would love to have Torres and just having fun of the fact the looks like an ugly Paris Hilton.

But he's awesome. Can't afford players like that at Spurs though.

He's the best striker in Football. I'd trade him for Berbatov and 10m GB P in a second. Of course you'd never do that.

16. jmann09

jmann09 250+ Posts

17. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

I'll miss JAR. Unfortuntely, he's not good enough to take us where we need to go, but he's been an excellent servant of the club for 7 years. Never caused any problems, even when he lost his starting job.

I'll miss goals like this:
    The Link

and this:
    The Link

18. jmann09

jmann09 250+ Posts

not near as meaningful, but i'm a big fan of this one
    The Link

19. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

2 more friendlies confirmed:

The Reds will play German side Hertha Berlin in Berlin on Tuesday, July 22nd, kick off 6.45pm and UEFA Cup finalists Rangers at Ibrox on Saturday, August 2nd, kick off 3pm.

20. TexonLongIsland

21. TexonLongIsland

22. TexonLongIsland

Going to see Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman play tonight in an 8 v 8 charity match in the Lower East Side. It's for Steve Nash's charity. Jason Kidd is playing also which should be interesting. Oh and Thierry Henry is now going to play as well.

Should be great, but probably will be packed.

NYTimes Soccer Blog

23. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Please report back on Nash's skilz.

Gracias.

24. TexonLongIsland

It was packed. People climbing trees and fences to see, but fun to watch. Unfortunately I didn't have the greatest view for most of the game.

They all showed up in khaki shorts and one team had blue shirts and the other yellow. A real pick-up game vibe. They played 30 minute halfs. It was pretty warm out too.

Solomon Kalou of Chelsea was also there and Nash really as some skilz. Jason Kidd wasn't too bad either, but at one point Henry was toying with him and all Jason could do was put his hands on his hips and start laughing.

Baron Davis has no skilz, but he did get a goal!! and kicked 2 balls over the 30 foot fence around the pitch. He seemed to have a great time running around looking clueless.

I got to shake Henry's hand after the match ended and got Robbie and Macca's autographs on the LFC hat I was wearing. A really great evening. I never thought I'd see that in the states though

25. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Signed a new young player:
    The Link
    The Link

Liverpool have agreed a deal with Herfolge to sign Nikola Saric on a three-year contract despite reported rival interest from Tottenham and Barcelona.

The 17-year-old starlet is heading to Anfield after Rafa Benitez tied up the deal personally, which surprised the Danish club.

All that remains is for Saric to put pen-to-paper on his contract at Anfield but he has already expressed his delight at clinching the move.

"'This is Rafa' he said," recalled sports director Per Rud to the club's official website when asked about how the transfer came about. "I almost thought it was a lie!

"We are pleased and proud that Nikola has gone to one of the world's best football clubs. We would have liked to have earned more money from Nikola but his injury and the fact that his contract expired in the New Year made it difficult.

"Liverpool acted extremely well in all cases and knew all the details. They have been fair in the process and could've waited until the New Year but they will have him over now."

Saric, a technically gifted left-footed number 10, is enthusiastic about linking up with the superstars of the first team on Merseyside.

"It is a unique opportunity for me," the Denmark Under-18 international informed Dagbladet Koge.

"I will train with the big names over there and there is time for me to develop at reserve level.

"I am very pleased with the development as it has been a very tough season for me."

Herfolge claimed on their official website that Spurs, Barca and Charlton wanted the talented striker, who is reckoned to be one of their best-ever players, after offering him trials.

26. TexonLongIsland

someone (not me) posted pictures of the Nash pick-up game

flickr

27. TexonLongIsland

28. jmann09

jmann09 250+ Posts

congrats to today's triumphant reds nando, xabi, pepe and arbeloa, and hopefully future reds villa and silva

torres' goal was pure class. just outworked lahm and lehmann, pure and simple

29. Longhorn Tim

Longhorn Tim 250+ Posts

Amen. Brilliant goal by El Nino.

What do you think of the press reports today linking us with Keane (Tottenham)? I honestly think that would be a better combination for Torres than Villa and he's a proven commodity in the EPL.

30. jmann09

jmann09 250+ Posts

keane is a great player. very underrated and a great striker who can thrive playing the 2nd fiddle, as he has to berbatov w/spurs. two things though: £20million+crouch is a little much, and i don't even think that'll be enough to pry him away. will be interesting though to see if keane himself comments on the rumors soon