Longest you've driven by yourself?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by naes921, Jun 20, 2007.

1. naes921

naes921 Guest

did you stop?

if so, for how long?

2. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

I normally fly most places of any great distance but I just moved from Dallas to Atlanta, so I had to drive. It was about 11 hours and I stopped/stayed in Jackson, MS over night to party a little. Probably should have kept driving.

3. TxEx2x

TxEx2x 100+ Posts

Preston Park, PA to Austin, TX... 29.5 hours.... Stopped for 3 hours to sleep in a truck stop half way between Nashville and Knoxville... Looking back on it, I must have been crazy... but I was young and didn't know better...

4. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

i wasn't by myself but i drove all the way back from panama city beach to austin while the rest of the guys were passed out from a week of drinking. That drive is a blur to me..i think it was about 15hrs. I stopped once for a quick bite..couple of times for gas.

5. JohnnyM

JohnnyM 2,500+ Posts

drove Austin-Tucson in my car towing a trailer alone. that was about 15-16 hours. had to stop multiple times for gas.

drove Tucson-Austin in a 27ft U-haul towing the gf's car alone, although she was following me in my car. that took much longer due to being stuck in a ******** new mexico gas station for 4 hours due to a blown tire.

6. goat

goat 250+ Posts

Did the Dallas to Atlanta drive in Sept....not too bad 11.5 hours....stopped in shreveport for some gambling, and jackson to sleep so not to bad.

Euro you still in Atl? shoot me a pm

7. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

Can't remember the times, but:

1. Austin to Tempe, AZ

2. Austin to Santa Fe, NM

3. Dallas to Asheville, NC

Only stopped to eat & for restroom breaks every time.
    Not too bad of drives, I didn't think.

8. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

Austin to NYC, dropping a friend off in St. Louis along the way. I stopped in St. Louis and outside Columbus.

This was in January. There was a blizzard that chased me the whole way. It caught me in Columbus but I drove out of it.Then I got lost in NYC (who knows where I was???). It started snowing as I pulled into the driveway and then snowed about 13 inches that night.

9. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd 100+ Posts

Nashville to Atlanta, turn around and drive right back through Nashville and on up to Chicago. Dunno the miles but it was about 20 hours on the road.

I had to deliver a "package" for a "friend."

Actually, it was an industrial AC compressor, but it sounds cooler if you think I was ridin' dirty.

10. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

I have an off-road race team, and I used to tow a 36' enclosed trailer all over the west coast. My longest in one day was 16 hours, stopping about every 200 miles for gas and food and drink, but always eating on the road. (It's funny my gas tank was what forced me to stop every 200 mi, but now every time I go on a road trip it seems like I'm programed to pee every 200 mi regardless of what sort of distance I can get on a tank of gas)

Usually my daily limit was around 10-12 hours, but milage wise it wasn't very far since you can't exactly haul *** pulling a 36' trailer.

You can stay at some weird places and see weird stuff out there.

EDIT: One time in college some friends and I were drinking at Cain and Abels, and decided we wanted to gamble. So we drove to Lake Charles, gambled for a couple hours, then drove back for afternoon classes. There was another time I had a competition in Barstow, Cali. After tech inspection on Fri, we drove to Vegas, gambled all night, then drove straight back to Barstow only to arrive just in time for the comp. Both of these trips were pretty rough, but make for interesting stories.

11. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

I once drove from Hutto to Taylor...Nonstop!

12. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Can't say I was alone but for the 2005 Rose Bowl, I drove from Houston to Palm Springs, CA with only a 30 minute nap at a rest stop in Sonora.

13. HORN_FAN_86

HORN_FAN_86 100+ Posts

Dallas to Indianapolis, non-stop, except for gas. I think it was something like 17 hours, but that was 20 years ago.

I did the Savannah, GA to Dallas run non stop for the 95 TX v ou game. I think it was right at 1,000 miles.

14. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I haven't done any monster drives alone. But I've done Houston to Portland (with my dad) stopping for food and gas only. That was the suck. We split it up coming back into 3 nights. And then last month I did Fairbanks to Seattle (with a buddy.) Around 2400 miles and 4 nights. We could have done it in 3 but that would have been 14-16 hours of driving per day instead of 12+.

15. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

For my bar trip, I did a 28 day road trip. I drove by myself for all but the drive from NYC to Boston. A law school buddy of mine flew into LaGuardia. We hung out in NYC for 3 days, then drove up to Boston for a few days, then he flew home.

I drove from Dallas to Baton Rouge to New Orleans to Tuscaloosa and Auburn, Alabama, to Atlanta, to Myrtle Beach, to Raleigh/Durham, to Charlottesville, to D.C., to College Park, to Philadelphia, to NYC, to Boston, to Buffalo, to Cleveland, to Canton, to Columbus, to Cincinnati, to Indianapolis, to South Bend, to Chicago, to St. Louis, and then I think back to Dallas.

That sounds right. I met up with various friends in different cities. That was a blast. Unfortunately, it was pre iPod days, so I had a bunch of CDs and listened to local radio stations on the drive.

16. Horneius_Maximus

Horneius_Maximus 250+ Posts

August, GA - Houston, TX (non stop, alone)

San Jose, CA - Awwwwstin, TX (non stop, with midget room mate)

17. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

I bought an old (1986) Fed Ex truck in 2003 from a farmer in North Rome, Pennsylvania and drove it solo back to Houston. 1,700 miles with no AC or radio or cruise control and a very upright seating position. I stopped for about eight hours at a motel near Konxville.

I bought a car in San Diego about six weeks ago. I drove it solo to Houston with about a seven hour motel break in Ft. Stockton.

I bought a car in New Jersey and drove it home to Houston solo with only about a five hour nap at a truck stop.

I sold a car to a guy in Miami and agreed to drive it to Tampa. I drove from Austin to Houston after a UT football game, changed cars and drove all night to Tampa. I met the guy at the airport, gave him the keys and hopped right on a flight home an hour later.

I drove solo from Houston to Boulder solo for the UT-CU game in 1996. The guys who were to join me flaked out after losses to OU and Notre Dame. The drive up was nice. The stops were for gas. The drive back was brutal. It's tough driving 17 hours hungover and sleep deprived. I had to pull over regularly on the side of the road to sleep.

I drove solo from Houston to Lincoln for the NU game in 2002. No one thought I could do it in 12 hours, but I did. My only two stops were for gas and totaled less than 20 minutes.

Bernard

18. lnghrngrl

lnghrngrl 25+ Posts

Dallas to Denver - no stops. That's about the longest. First RB trip - Quadry drove from LA to AR himself. I could have never done that!!

19. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

Longest solo drive was Houston to Amarillo to Austin. I've driven non-solo to Providence, RI and San Francisco before.

20. random horn

random horn 250+ Posts

Solo I've done Dallas to Atlanta (and Atlanta to Dallas) a couple of times. I've also done Austin to Tucson (and back). I've also done Austin to DC and back with a friend.

21. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

I took the long way home from Omaha to Dallas (through KC) by myself. I only stopped for gas in Kansas and in North Texas and one other time to take a **** in Oklahoma.

22. miguelito

miguelito 250+ Posts

In one day, Seattle to Stockton. I could have gone much farther, but I wasn't supposed to be in LA till the next afternoon, so I had to stop somewhere. I ate dinner at Wendy's.

Most miles/time, the 2 weeks I wandered through Idaho, Montana, S. Dakota, Wyoming, and Washington. I just loaded up my truck with my camping gear, and some extra clothes and started driving. I slept in my truck most nights. That was a fun trip. I didn't have anything planned more than a day out. I was just wandering. I highly recommend it.

23. DeathTongue

DeathTongue 25+ Posts

When I started at UT, I drove down from Hershey, PA. I made it from Hershey to Arkadelphia, AR on the first day stopping only in Knoxville, TN to gas and grub. That was about 16 hours. I thought that TN would never end. I made it to Austin [​IMG] a little after noon the next day.

24. Lat22

Lat22 1,000+ Posts

Falfurrias to Alpine. I like airplanes.

25. SizzleChest

SizzleChest 25+ Posts

If you get tired, pull over. If you get hungry, eat something.

26. Beef

Beef 100+ Posts

I do promotions and marketing for a sporting good company, so I am always on the road going to events. In the past 3 months I have been all over Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Arizona, Colorado, and California. I always travel by myself. My top 3 longest have been:

Phoenix, Arizona to Waco, Tx
    San Diego, Ca to Van Horn, Tx
    Omaha, Ne to Waco, Tx

I guess I like to drive cause I do not even think about having to travel. I just get in the car and go.

27. hornfan17

hornfan17 25+ Posts

Longest I've done solo was San Diego to Austin, stopping only for gas and coffee. That was about 20 hours. It gets pretty rough once you get to Ft Stockton - you know you're close but it's still 5 hours away. I love long drives like that - lots of time to reflect and have some time to yourself (when you're not getting the shakes from your 5th large coffee in one day!).

28. RollingwoodHorn

RollingwoodHorn 500+ Posts

I've never gone longer than 14 but I've done that at least 15 times with no stopping other than for gas and to drive through somewhere for food.

29. naes921

naes921 Guest

so i posted this because i was contemplating driving somewhere that would take about 14-15 hours and my friends all said i was crazy. i'm glad to see that 8+ hour drives aren't that uncommon by folks.

30. halsteadfrost

halsteadfrost 1,000+ Posts

Just make sure you understand how you, youself work. For example I work best during daylight hours. So when I want to make a long trip, I wake up early (5-ish) and hit the road. I drive until sunset, and by then I'm spent. I have friends though who prefer to drive at night. They'll actually mess around all day so that the can leave at sunset and drive through the night. I don't know how they don't get tired, but they assure me they prefer to do it this way. So just make sure you know if you're a day or nighter.

And when you get tired, just stop somwhere and sleep. Don't try and push it longer than you need to. Getting someplace the next morning is better than not getting there at all.

Hal