Longhorn Foundation and reseating

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by austintexas, Dec 11, 2007.

1. austintexas

austintexas Guest

Buckle up folks. The LF is telling folks EVERYONE in the lower sections of DFF (Sec 1-11) will be moved, regardless if their seat was removed during the reconstruction or not. That is precisely what I was just told.

I was told today that it is highly likely I will not be reseated in the seat I have been in nearly 30 years, despite the fact that my seat will still be there and I wish to retain it.

I asked what the chances are of my NOT being moved. Reply: "very low".

I asked how they justify pulling someone from, say, Sec 2 and seating them in my seat in Sec 5. Answer: it's only fair because they were displaced.

OK, so someone else gets displaced, there I get MORE displaced because they get my seat?

This is wrong. The logic coming out of the LF right now is not adding up.

They say they will do their best to keep folks in their same area. How is unnecessarily moving someone out of their seat, putting someone else in their seat accomplishing that goal?

Looking at the seating chart, in Sec 2 and half of 3 and 10 and half of nine, they are adding rows that are not Field Box seats because (the former) rows 1 and 2 will extend all the way across those sections instead of stopping at the dugout. Just move the folks from the top rows down there. One problem solved.

That leaves folks on the back two rows of Secs 4,5,7,8 and part of 3 and 9 to be reseated. Why do those folks get a shot at my seats?

If someone from the LF is reading this, please explain this to us. And an "it's only fair" defense doesn't cut it.

2. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

I imagine it is similar to the parking restructuring done this past football season. The LF is taking this opportunity to put the money folks up front in the best spots.

3. austintexas

austintexas Guest

They tell you LF contribution amounts will not come into play in the reseating plan. It's done by location/sight line. Though LF level is the only thing that could make me understand their logic for moving us.

4. austintexas

austintexas Guest

to clarify and for the sake of fairness, the staff at the LF didn't make this decision, the administration did.

ridonkulous.

5. marley

marley 500+ Posts

I'm not with the Foundation, but have certainly communicated with them about this matter.

The new rows 1 and 2 behind the dugouts are premium seating requiring a $750 donation per seat to the Foundation, apart from any current Foundation donation.

So, unless people who are being displaced are willing to put up $1,500 for two seats down low, they'll have to move somewhere else. All of us have the ability to ante up the extra cash if we now want front-row seats (and my current seats ARE front row seats behind the 3rd base dugout).

UT is having to displace people to comply with onerous (IMO) federal legislation re the number of handicapped seats they must offer in such a stadium.

It's not UT's fault that they are having to move people. The logical place to put the handicapped seats is where they are putting them.

I guess it's true that they could have decided to move people from the last few rows of some of the lower sections down to those two new rows. But we all know that economics is the first god that all college athletic departments follow these days. UT is no different.

Instead of blaming UT, we should blame the Congress and President George H. W. Bush in 1990, who decided to continue the slow but steady erosion of property rights in this country by passing and signing the American Disabilities Act. One day I may benefit from that act, but I personally don't think it should have ever been passed.

But you are going to have to move for that basic reason. It really isn't UT's fault.

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

But it is UT's policy that you have to send in money to renew your season tickets without knowing where the seats are. What kind of business is that?
    Should I go down to the Mercedes dealer and put some money down for a car, and three months later go pick up my shiny new Chevy Cavalier?
    It they are shoving us aside, they could tell us where they are shoving us.
    This policy is not good customer relations. I don't know if I will renew or not at this point. We deserve better information than this.

7. austintexas

austintexas Guest

It IS UTs fault that they are choosing to reseat those of us whose seats are in the exact same place they were last year.

8. Bubba Don

Bubba Don 250+ Posts

Yeah, I have been in my same seats for about 25 years. If I have to move it won't be the end of the world. There isn't a bad seat in the house and I might make some new friends.

Life is too short for me to whine abut this kind of stuff.

Hook em

9. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

No one has really been able to answer my question. My god mother had 4 seats in the first row of section 9 since DFF opened. Will she be moved back 2 rows to allow for the box seats or does she get moved all together?

10. austintexas

austintexas Guest

she no longer has those seats at all. No one has seats in the lower section now.

When she submits her app, she can specify which seats she had for years and ask for those back, but the LF strongly urges her to tell them where else she'd be willing to sit, specific things she likes about her seats, sightlines, friends that sit nearby, etc. and they will try to get her seats as close to her wishes as they can.

11. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

Unbelievable!

12. Bubba Don

Bubba Don 250+ Posts

What is the big deal ? If you still get good seats who cares ?

Hook em

13. sua sponte

sua sponte 100+ Posts

Bubba Don, define " good seats "....
    A lot .... meaning ALL ...of those seats were sold on the basis that if you give X $$ every year you have the RIGHT to renew THOSE seats. That is what is known in law as a contract. If one breaks a contract, one is liable for damages.

14. hookem2102

hookem2102 250+ Posts

The big deal is not always where you sit and how "good" the seat is but who you are sitting with.

9 times out of 10 I would rather have ****** seats and sit with my friends than have awesome seats and sit with randoms.

15. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

16. DrEyes

DrEyes 25+ Posts

perhaps another factor in the extensive re-seating is the relocation of the home team dugout from the 3rd base line to the first base line. remember that traditionally (if that still matters?), the Texas player's guest tickets (family) were allocated behind the dugout in section 111. those seats will probably be moved to section 101 now.
    also, maybe some of those longtime ticket holders WANT to be moved relative to the dugout change.
    i'm just sayin...

17. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I had 2 season tickets for the past 4 years. I am not renewing my tix this year b/c I am lowering my LF donation significantly. Just not getting enough value....... I was told that my donation ($1600) was not going to put me in the same baseball lot as before. Plus the mess with football. I am hoping to move to the NEZ upper deck and save some cash.

When do singles go on sale to the general public?

18. sua sponte

sua sponte 100+ Posts

I think singles are only sold on game day. They are pretty much walk up. If history is the same , the reserved seats are all pretty much sold out. Not sure , call the ticket office.

19. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I did. They said a couple of weeks before season starts... I'll call them back.

20. Bubba Don

Bubba Don 250+ Posts

I have had the same two seats since the Disch opened as well. But I am not going to cry if they move me. Life is too short to make a big deal about tickets. I have enjoyed sitting with the same people for over 30 years.

The truth of the matter is that for 75% of the games, if my seats are moved, I can still sit with anyone I want.

For the other games, I will meet some newfriends.

Hook em

21. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

Some people are bothered by this and some are not. To each his own, but it's a little off to insinuate that those that are bothered, have no reason to be bothered.

The prospect of getting stuffed somewhere not so great; after sitting in fantastic seats for over 20 years, could possibly be a bummer for several reasons.

22. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

Let's take a look at this...
    1. People ***** about not getting much needed renovations.
    2. People get said renovations.
    3. People find out that renovations will affect them.
    4. People ***** about renovations.

[​IMG]

23. austintexas

austintexas Guest

dumb post. It's becoming very clear who the season ticket holders below the rail are and who are not.

Anyone has the right to be upset if their season tickets are being moved against their wishes. Why is that so hard to understand?

24. Big Jake

Big Jake 100+ Posts

25. Texas_Rocks

Texas_Rocks 500+ Posts

26. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

I have had season tix below the rail for 15 years and I don't mind being moved as long as I am in the same general area. However, I do understand that some people will mind.

I am surprised at how few people are mentioning the reversal of the home and vistor's dugouts.

27. mharriss

mharriss < 25 Posts

Ignoring the reseating discussion for the moment, one thing to be aware of in moving/picking new seats - the net. I was out there the other day and the new net will extend to the home base side of each dugout. And remember, the dugouts have moved about 15ft down the line from their previous location. So even if you do not change seats, you might now be behind the net.