Longhorn heritage is a bridge-builder shaping the present and inspiring the future.

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Billy Dale, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Billy Dale

Billy Dale The History of Longhorn Sports through 2014

Over the years, TLSN has captured great articles from Gaylon Krizek, Barbara Wainscott, Mark McDonald, Ragan Gennusa, Robert Brewer, Bill Atessis, Peter Gardere, Kiki DeAyala , Bill Bradley, Ben Crenshaw, Byrd Baggett, Stewart Keller, Dave Morton, Hub Bechtol, Rodney Page, Duke Carlisle, Tony Crosby, Emory Bellard, Gary Plock, Ricardo Romo, Tom Campbell, Tommy Harmon and others.

Their stories share special Longhorn moments that remind us that Longhorn heritage is a bridge-builder shaping the present and inspiring the future. There is no better vista for storytelling than through the eyes of those who created Longhorn sports history.

As an introduction to Steve Ross, I am reminded of the movie Wayne's World and how Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey's characters reacted when they met their idol, Alice Cooper. Their comment, "We are not worthy," is priceless, and that is how I feel about Steve. He has agreed from time to time to share special moments about his first love - the Texas Longhorns.
    Steve Ross has been a Longhorn fan since childhood and for the last 40 years, professionally as part of the media. Years ago, Steve wrote an article for Barking Carnival about the 1970 UCLA game with such accurate detail I thought he played in the game. His writing is in the link below.

https://texas-lsn.squarespace.com/steve-ross-1971-game-1

The photo is Cotton making the winning touchdown against UCLA. I was split to the right on this play, and from my vantage point, I got a great view of the catch, but more importantly, I got a view of the fan's GOING NUTS after the touchdown! Cotton's catch was just as important a moment in defining Longhorn football under Royal as Street's pass to Peschel.

Also, as a sense of humor statement, I found this 1912 image of, I am sure, an Aggie testing his helmet's structural integrity before a game.

1912+helmet+test.jpg 1970 Cotton Speyrer.jpg Fred+Akers+show+Steve+is+on+the+left.jpg

• Like Like x 2