Longhorn QB's of the 70's

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Texas My Texas, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Texas My Texas

Texas My Texas 25+ Posts

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

2. BurntOrangeOnly

BurntOrangeOnly 500+ Posts

I know this will be viewed as heresy on hornfans but.......I sure wish we still had the burnt orange stripes on the uniform pants. Especially on the road uni's.

OK, I'll go hide now. Flame throwers are not necessary. [​IMG]

3. Texas My Texas

Texas My Texas 25+ Posts

Forgot about Wigginton:

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Wouldn't James Street have been the first quarterback of the 1970's?

21-17........

5. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

can't see the picture. My watching started with Akins, so I could list:

Akins, McBath, Cordero, other QB from 76 can't remember, then Aune, McEachern, Ansley, Little? or was he '80,

and of course, we can't forget a pass thrown by...

Earl Campbell. bad pass, forgettable, but great win!

6. cmvUT75

cmvUT75 100+ Posts

I'll never forget this game ...

January 1, 1973 Texas 17, Alabama 13

MVP's ...
    Alan Lowry, Texas, QB (Offense)
    Randy Braband, Texas, LB (Defense)

7. Texas My Texas

Texas My Texas 25+ Posts

Can' find any Mike Cordero shots from his few appearances in '76. Here's Sam Ansley one appearance from '77 TCU game:[​IMG][/IMG]

YellowDog, a little January 1, 1970 action:

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The best of the bunch played one game in the '70's.

9. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

That trip down memory lane should make Horn fams appreciate how stable our QB situation has been the last six years.

I guess McEachern was my personal favorite QB of the 70s (excluding Street). Coming off the bench to play with poise and beat OU was quite a feat.

10. yelladawgdem

^
    ^
    ^
    ^ Randy's Dream. Comes true.

11. Texas My Texas

Texas My Texas 25+ Posts

We have in fact had unbelievable QB stability in recent years. The 70's had certain years where injuries caused a lot of problems, also in the early 70's freshman couldn't play varisty ball. Running the wishbone and having running QB's in general led to injuries.

Phillips (#14 above against UCLA in LA in '71) was a junior in '70 and basically played all year til getting hurt in the cotton bowl but still I think played most of the game. Wiggington (#18)was also a junior and spelled him some.

Phillips and Wigginton shared the duties in '71 mainly due to Phillips nagging injury situation. Wigginton was small but a real competitor. He too graduated after the '71 season, leaving no one in the wings.

In '72 Alan Lowry (#15 above against TCU in the mud) was converted from DB to QB as a senior and played every game. Only lost once to OU.

From '73 to '75 Marty Akins was the starter with Mike Presley (#14 in close up above) subbing for him ocassionally in '73 and '74 when games got out of reach. Akins was an All American running the Wishbone. Akins wasn't injured til the tail end of '75 when Ted Constanzo filled in. I know Constanzo played in loss to Aggy in '75 (shown also above) when our enire starting backfield was out with injuries.

'76 was a struggle with Ted Constanzo, Mike Cordero and Mark McBath (#17) playing at various times.

'77 looked great with McBath and John Aune (#10 shown against Virginia in 68-0 win) battling for the starting job. Both were playing and then....both got hurt against the Land Thieves, early in the game. One injury occurred on a somewhat cheap shot out of bounds I think or something like that. McEachern (#6) came in, a walk on, winning the game and played the rest of the season except when he was hurt for the TCU game. Sam Ansley, I think a coverted DB, played that TCU game in his place. Aune and McBath were out with their injuries for the rest of the year, even through the cotton bowl nightmare against the Domers.

'78 was some Randy McEachern and some Donnie Little as I recall.

Little and Rick McIvor (#15) shared duties in '79. McIvor was able to extend his tenure thru '83, just long enough to create confusion in the QB situation for Fred Akers at the end of '83 even though Rob Moerschell had started and won 10 games I think he was benched in favor of McIvor for the Aggy game and subsequently the debacle against Georgia in the Cotton Bowl. Fred thought we need to pass to win. With that defense, are you kidding me? Our offense was geared to run the football, and Rob was an oustanding option QB. Can't help but think to this day that if Rob had been allowed to play that day at QB that we would have won a MNC. It just wasn't Rick's day throwing the ball, but Fred stuck with him. It should have never come down to the Craig Curry fumble.

12. Texas Rugby

Texas Rugby 100+ Posts

Remember them like yesterday.

Randy's story is classic, but this guy:

[​IMG]

was a fantastic Wishbone operator. My brother played for his dad at G-P.

13. D70Horn

D70Horn 25+ Posts

great thread!

14. yelladawgdem

For those who dont know the story, during the summer of 1977 Randy Mc was at his parents house. He got up one morning and told his Mom that he had had a dream. That he had come off of the bench against OU and had won the game. When he did come off of the bench, his Mother took a piece of paper and wrote "Randy's Dream" and put it next to the radio (no TV because the okies were on probation again/still). When it was over, his Mom wrote "Comes True' on it. For those who didnt see the game, it was like a prize fight. And a 13-6 win ended six years of hell. Good times.........

15. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

The fans wanted Gary Keithley to beat out Phillips and Wigginton for the job in 1970. He was mucho hyped coming in to UT. But Phillips had been in the program for two years already and Emory Bellard wasn't about to go with a newcomer. Keithley played some that year. I remember seeing him, but frustrated by lack of playing time, transfered to UTEP after the season.

According to Wiki, his claim to fame was achieving a zero QB rating in two straight NFL starts with the St. Louis Cardinals (his first two NFL starts). I'm not sure how you do that.

16. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

I think Ricky Churchman actually had one snap at QB in '77. A handoff to Ham for a long touchdown I believe.

Try to imagine us going 5-deep at QB this year. [​IMG]

17. Texas My Texas

Texas My Texas 25+ Posts

More from the archives:

[​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

18. yelladawgdem

Alan Lowry was the QB in 1972 when we went 10-1 and finished #3 in the final rankings with the win over Alabama in the Cotton Bowl. He was All-SWC both his Junior and Senior seasons. His claim to fame? One year was defense and the next year was offense! Also in 1972, the UT offense had one, (1), uno TD PASSES for the entire SEASON. Against the ags on T-night in a rainstorm.

God I am old........

19. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I remember thinking that the cheerleader who is shading her eyes in the second picture was the cat's meow!

I scanned the crowd in that picture to see if I could spot myself. I was there and sitting on the 45 yard line down low. Best seats I ever had for a UT game. Too bad ND kicked the $*+! out of us.

20. treball

treball 100+ Posts

Didn't Mark Covey play some QB before moving to DB?

21. UT Spring Branch

UT Spring Branch 500+ Posts

22. pneuma

pneuma 25+ Posts

I remember thinking that the cheerleader who is shading her eyes in the second picture was the cat's meow!

No argument. That would be Sheryl Goodman, who along with Debbie Rosenberger, provided essential eye-candy for those working Camp Olympia in early 70's. Chris Gilbert & Corby Robertson knew how to staff their new venture.

23. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

yelladawgdem has a point about James Street being the first Quarterback of the 70s since that Cotton Bowl game was 1-1-70.

I remember in 1977 when Sam Ansley was starting his first start due to the other injuries before he got to the huddle for his first start it was said that Earl Campbell told the other players "Let's take care of Ansley." They did too.

24. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

I don't recall her name, but isn't that cheerleader in the 10 picture of the original post the cheerleader who was injured (paralyzed) in the car accident that also injured and ended the career of former Longhorn (and starting Yankee 2B) Andre Robertson?

25. X-Ray_Horn

X-Ray_Horn 250+ Posts

I didn't recall the story of Robertson and the cheerleader, but thanks to Google, here it is:

Story

26. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

for those that attended...the 1977 ou game was the greatest LONGHORN game I ever attended....and I was at all the big ones over the years since 1972...

The hitting in that game was unbelievable...we would not be denied...just incredible game...

McEachern coming off the bench and performing brilliantly...just incredible...

oh, not to mention EARL's run....goosebumps....

27. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

This:

[​IMG]

one of my favorite photos of a UT QB... I was at the CB that day biting my fingernails like all the UT fans.

28. 53 Veer Pass

53 Veer Pass 100+ Posts