Longhorns' Assistant Coach search

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Apr 16, 2016.

1. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Why would they not be able to?

2. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Is your comment "tongue in cheek" meaning Karen and Jamie are both serious and intense people? Or have they actually "butted heads" in the past?

3. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm not sure what the second part meant. Did they not get along when she was an assistant and Jamie played for UT? Seems to me you don't hire someone you "might not" get along with.

4. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

5. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Great hire!

6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I'm thankful she's actually got prior coaching experience. Sheryl Swoopes....OMG

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Jamie has a Great pedigree and I loved watching her play when she was at Texas! She was very intense and focused! I like Coach Aston's Comment "She brings a wealth of knowledge regarding guard play and offensive schemes that is exciting."
    Now can she recruit??

• Like Like x 1
  8. overseasbbfan1

overseasbbfan1 1,000+ Posts

Great news, and great hire! Love to see us bringing home one of our own. Welcome back, Jamie!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

She filled my biggest criteria, which was experience coaching guards. Being a former point guard herself is also huge. Lastly, being a former Longhorn player is a big plus (but, not required in my book).

Doesn't seem like any one will get the "Associate" title that Mays had.

• Like Like x 2
  10. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Excited to have Jamie back at Texas, can't wait for next season to start!

• Like Like x 1
  11. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

One of my absolute favorite Longhorns. Welcome back home, Jamie! :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  12. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

love the hire! Welcome back, Jamie. :yippee::hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  13. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Interesting hire. I like it. Jamie definitely has the basketball IQ to lend along with that icewater-in-the-veins, dagger-in-the-heart, killer instinct mentality. With the added weapons for next season, we may be just as good offensively as defensively. :hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Story from the AAS:
    http://www.hookem.com/story/carey-named-assistant-basketball-coach-at-texas/

• Like Like x 3
  15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Really like the hire. If the two former PGs known for their intensity (Aston and Carey) complement the other's strength, Aston's defense and Carey's offense, Texas will be in great shape.

• Like Like x 2
  16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Video from the intro press conference:

• Like Like x 5
  17. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

This is what I loved about Jamie when she was at Texas as a player. Look at her "we're not going to lose this thing" intensity.

• Like Like x 5
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I know we just got the hire we've been waiting on but is it selfishness and/or impatience to REALLY want a #LetsRide tweet from Coach A in the very near future?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

• Like Like x 2
  20. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

TOTALLY ELATED over the hire. Without Jamie's coaching on the court, we'd have never made it to the Final 4 in 2003. I remember a couple of games that year that Jamie, actually, out-coached Jody to win a couple of nail-biters...LOL....
    Jamie's basketball i.q. is as high, if not higher, than any athlete who has ever played for our program. With our very talented BUT young point guards, she'll turn them into the players they want to be---and the champions they believe they can be~
    Hook'Em!

• Like Like x 1
  21. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

We could not have done better as far as BB knowledge and passion go. I'm psyched about getting Jamie. I have no clue about her ability to recruit. That's the most important thing of all.

22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Our coaching staff! :hookem2:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  23. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

I agree a great staff, but there's not a lot of collegiate coaching experience in the assistant coaches. But I do think Jamie is a great hire

• Like Like x 1
  24. HornsLewis

HornsLewis 25+ Posts

Doesn't look the same without Travis. Train has to keep pushing fwd

25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

No denying that Jamie is very cerebral (having been admitted to Stanford back in the day). She is very well spoken, and appears to carry herself in confident manner (based on that news conference). I really hope she brings some new ideas/concepts that can help with the offense; and, hope she has a lot of success on the recruiting trail as the next couple of recruiting classes will probably need 3-4 guards combined

26. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

Wow gone for a week and we get a new assistant, woooohoooo cant wait for the season to start.

• Like Like x 1
  27. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

I was out of town and my wife mentioned that she saw a piece on Jamie Carey (about 10 minutes worth) on the Longhorn Extra show. I asked if it was the press conference she saw, and she said no. Hmmm. Anyone have a link to some piece they put together on Jamie that was NOT part of the press conference?