Longhorns Overseas...

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Oct 11, 2020.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Thought I’d start a thread for any news about Longhorns playing internationally...

Sug finished off the WNBA season and almost immediately hopped a flight to play in Poland where she’s been doing very well. I left “robbery” in the translation because it made me chuckle.

Translation:
    Good level in Sug Sutton's Polish league. A player who was a rookie with Washington Mystics in the WNBA.

22 points
    7 rebounds
    6 assists
    1 robbery
    32 rating

@kaorie15 She has been named the best player of the week in Poland, starting off on the right foot abroad.

• Like Like x 5
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Lashann in Spain...

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Lashann had a very successful season in Spain (team MVP) and has been signed to play for Keltern in Germany.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Congratulations to Kyra Lambert!! I have no idea what it says but I'm 100% sure she signed a contract overseas

• Like Like x 6
  6. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Google translate??

7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Hadn’t heard that Charli had been injured…

• Like Like x 3
  10. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

For those who do not follow, Ariel and Joyner both start for BC Prometey. Both have been putting up good numbers. Joyner averages 21.5 ppg and has the 7th highest efficiency rating in the league. In the first Europcup playoff round, Joyner led the team in scoring with 17 pounts.

BC Prometey v BCF Elfic Fribourg boxscore - EuroCup Women - 22 December - FIBA.basketball

I hope Joyner gets another shot in the WNBA. If not, she certainly looks set for an excellent career overseas.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I understand why Joyner is playing overseas but am wondering why Ariel is. She's a bonified starter (star?) in the WNBA. She risks fatigue, if not injury playing there. What am I missing?

12. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

The money is much better overseas

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Wow, that sucks. I guess arenas over there have more fans than does the Erwin center.:rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Thanks for the information hoopsalot!

After some quick research, BC Prometey is based in Kamianske, Ukraine - not far from Russian held Donestk. I sure pray for their safety and for the nation of Ukraine especially if bully Putin throws a hissy-fit and invades.

I'm not familiar with FIBA basketball but it appears BC Prometey won the Ukrainian Championship and therefore, qualified for the Eurocup playoff. They've made it past the first round and head into the round of 16.

Season Stats: BC Prometey at the EuroCup Women - FIBA.basketball

• Like Like x 2
  15. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Most stars do it. It is the norm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

It’s embarrassing how much more money they can (and deserve) make compared to in the US. Big difference

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

If Joyner is finally making most of her 2 foot bunny shots and is putting modest effort into defense, then she has really progressed. Maybe that will translate into new WNBA opportunities.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Hilarious, but true. When I see Nalyssa Smith, that's how I envisioned Joyner would play in college. Hope she becomes a late-bloomer - but then again she was the #1 national HS recruit.

19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I know that post sounded critical and sarcastic, but the truth is that 75+% of the time Joyner didn't impact the game much. The other 25-ish% we got to see the tantalizing flashes of her immense natural physical talent. I cannot think of another UT women's bb player whose actual production relative to potential was more disappointing to me (not counting early transfers out).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

The frustrating part is that before her "hiatus" she was on an upward trajectory. After she returned, she was different. Would really like to know what happened with her.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

100% with you Sangre. Totally agree Creaky. Joyner's best season was her freshman year when she was named 1st Team All-Big 12 her freshman year and then fell off from there after her academic suspension (I can only guess academic cheating).

• Agree Agree x 1