Longhorns two deep

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Crockett, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I can't believe the distribution of the Longhorns 2 deep is just in a photo on twitter, but it's all I can find.

Some observations: For all our worries about recruiting for the trenches, on the defensive side there are only 6 DL spots on the depth chart and two of those are filled by converted linebackers. Good recruits who have put in the effort to get bigger and stronger, Christmas, Fitgerald, Chisolm and awe inspiring frosh like Coburn, Ojomo, Williams, and Carson haven't cracked the two deep. All the starters are seniors, so the logjam will break, but I ain't going to complain about the number of recruits Herman/Giles have brought in.

Secondly, Tope Imade… a guy willing to switch positions when the coaches ask, is now second team guard. Way to go young man.

For all the complaints about recruiting a 7 on 7 team, we play five defensive backs and will find roles for all those talented dbs we signed in February. In reality, what goes on now in the Big 12 is closer to 7 on 7 than the offenses Royal and Switzer rolled with in the 1960s and 70s.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Thanks. What strikes me is that many of the starters and backups were not mentioned at all in the fall camp. Not that the information was freely flowing, because it wasn’t. But not a mention (that I saw) of players like Omenihu, Heard and many others is curious.

We’ll see what we have soon enough.

3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

being somewhat of a worrier by nature, Special Teams jumps out at me. Both the kickers are true freshmen.
    our punter must live up to his name, which took it on the head during recruiting last winter. The kicker Dicker must put those balls where they keep our defense whipping a-- and our offense up and pumping out scores!! :coolnana::thumbup: (couldn't help it)

Anyway, that looks like a pretty salty bunch to me. Horns end up in top 20!

5. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

Given our coaching staff has infinity more experience in personnel decisions than I (although I’ll compare my EA Sports NCAA record with anybody). But, Bujcevski, a guy who has never played a single down of American football, is possibly going to be our holder?
    This is somewhat disconcerting as I have memories of his cousin fielding snaps his first year.
    Please assuage my concerns, Brethren.

• Like Like x 2
  6. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I also have serious questions about the inexperience in key positions on Special Teams. In close games special teams are always difference makers.

7. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I'm more concerned about the OL than DL. A couple of key injuries and we're back to playing true freshmen again. I'm also concerned about punter. Dickson was a key component in having a great defense last year. I'm not expecting Bujcevski to be Dickson, but he needs to be solid to not put our defense in bad situations.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

We all saw what happened when Dickson was a freshman and basically cost us the OK State game (along with the weird holding call on Poona Ford and unsportsmanlike conduct on Strong). ST guys have to prove themselves and the only way they do that is getting out on the field. If they make mistakes, I'd rather they learn from them and improve.

Other thoughts:

WR - we're going to see so many freshmen it's not even funny. And I bet they'll be making some plays. Anyone with eyes who witnessed the national championship last season has been awakened to the power of unheralded freshmen WRs and what speed can do to a defense, regardless of experience.

Kyle Porter - welp. I think the consensus on this board last year was that he was a practice warrior who was undeserving of playing time. Now we know we just didn't have any options. Since the 2018 roster has options, Porter isn't going to get many reps at RB.

DE - our ends are going to be the best unit we've had there since 2009-ish. And when you throw in Roach/Ossai as rush backers, it's even better.

DB - I have concerns about the "middle" of the unit... not like the safety position, but rather the 4-5 guys who've been here more than a summer who aren't going to get any playing time. Mass exodus incoming.

OL - the two-deep is encouraging but the kids who came before Herman got here really need to step up. We spent so much recruiting capital getting Hudson and Urquidez to bolt during the Baylor scandal. HS coaches were saying "hey I have a great kid on OL for next year" and we swung and missed on all of them. I'm guessing this is a huge reason Herb Hand was brought in, but until Herb's recruiting moves play out, we NEED those other guys to provide the depth and get out of that quagmire that has been our OL for a long time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

No problem.....let's just blow everyone out and have no close ones. I do hope that's the plan and it is executed. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I was a little surprised that Rodriguez kept his job at RG. Hopefully that means that he's really improved.

11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I followed camp well enough to anticipate many of the starters and O and D but I was most interested in the final picks for OL:

Anderson Vahe Shackelford Rodrigeuz Kersetter

Playing well as a unit, great execution and good health are critical to the success of the Offense this season.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018