Longhorns vs piggies

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Pomspoms, Sep 11, 2021.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I don't know what the attitude of the team was prior to the game. May have been overconfident, maybe thinking they can't lose to an unranked Arkansas team that won only a few games last year. Then the reality set in that the pigs are much better and more fired up to whip our butts than our guys were. Sark will most likely be watching film when he gets back and will have a discussion with the position coaches and coordinators about preparation and execution. I would not want to be a player that was part of that performance today. I believe that the good times are over for the players this season, might even see some starters benched, but that is pure speculation. Whatever he does, I hope that we never see a lackluster performance again, at least within my lifetime. It's one thing to lose a close game against a top team when everyone gave the maximum effort and left all they had on the field, but it's another to see lack of discipline and a consistent subpar performance by practically every man on the team. That's his one embarrassing loss. I hope there are no more like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 2
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

As the man 100% in charge of the offense he better look in the mirror and have a conversation with himself before talking to any other coach. He's about to find out very quickly how little patience we have with **** like this. Let's hope he has a good AA chapter leader because the pressure cooker just turned on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea christians are soft.
    #Tebow

4. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

I’m a Christian and I disagree. There could be a large percentage of players that are Christian and play with fire. It was his first college start on the road, in Fayetnam of all places. There are Christian football players that will take your head off in a game. The statement doesn’t make sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Good point 65. If this level of play and level of "give a damn" attitude persists, this group might be lucky to post a 7-5 or 6-6 season. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and speculate that a greater effort will be forthcoming in the rest of our games. That doesn't mean I think they run the table, only that they will play much better and not be embarrassing to the fans and the University.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I think the evening could be summed up by reading Sark's lips when he appeared to have said, "what the f**k is he doing".

Problem 1 - are we really reverting to the softness only seen in Austin under Puppy Dog Madden?

Problem 2 - You are receiving a free education at The University of Texas, why do you need motivation?

Problem 3 - Anyone on that roster that isn't concerned about this performance or lack thereof, I'll drive to Austin Monday to help fill out their portal papers.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Two words to support you - Roger Staubach

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I feel fairly confident that if he is a good HC he will evaluate himself on the plane ride home and identify his shortcomings in his plan and accept responsibility for this disaster.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Most of the time, it only looked like Arkansas was rushing two. It was basically the same play calling each series. The OL is definitely the issue but I’ll blame a lot of this **** show on coaching. This was Charliesque.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

To be fair, the defensive collapse happened AFTER the offense just left them out there to die...Tonight's woes are 80% offense...

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

You saw that too? I thought I imagined it. Thanks for the confirmation. He probably said it multiple times that wasn't caught on camera.

12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

As I have said, this is on Sark. Remember, the general consensus is that he is an offensive genius. He seemed more like a deer in the headlights tonight.

Think about it. With five or six players in the box against arguably the best running back in the country, we couldn’t do crapola. Were are their athletes that superior? Was our offensive line that inept?

I get that their players were highly motivated and perhaps ours weren’t. But this wasn’t about talent. It was about their defensive coordinator schooling our offensive genius.

Before the game, I wouldn’t have believed this could happen. But we all saw it with our own eyes.

The fact that Sark didn’t make a quarterback change much earlier than he did causes me great concern. The way to handle a dominating defense is the change things up. He had that player on the bench in Casey Thompson and didn’t utilize him until late in the third quarter. Way too late.

That lack of insight and perhaps stubbornness troubles me greatly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep! It sure does. . . At least until tomorrow morning.

14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I was surprised when Card trotted out there in the 3rd quarter. I expected to see Thompson get the nod for the second half. As the HC a lot of this is on him for not pulling out guys who were struggling to get the job done.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Yes. Watch the game replay. Count how many times you see our RB on the ground with 4,5,6 defenders and all of our O-linemen standing around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

But they had such a good view and got in for free

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Scheming for a duel threat QB is very different than defending Card. If it’s isn’t working, try Plan B. Sark didn’t. That’s troubling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Will be some serious *** chewing going on during game film viewing in the OL room.

19. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

This game reminds me of the UCLA game in 98, Mack's first season.

Things will get better from the better coaching staff, but it will take some time, and some games. The game after that was a blowout loss to KSU, then the team started playing well and the rest of the season was excellent, save a crummy loss to T Tech.

But, the most overused phrase on this board is "we have the talent!!!". Uhh, no, most of the time when Texas is bad, they don't have the talent. And after a coaching change, it takes awhile for the fans to realize that the cupboard wasn't full of great players that just needed a new coach. The whole team had to be rebuilt, including the players.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

There is always women's rowing!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Better be some serious "*** chewing" in the coaches' meeting starting with Torre Becton, and what the hell he's been doing since January to receive that fat paycheck, because it's obvious he ain't earned a damn penny of it. He's just another shining example of why I want NO ONE on the school payroll that has ever worked at Berzerkley.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Nothing pisses me off more than not even showing up. One of the worst performances I have ever seen by the Horns. And I saw every home game between 1986-1990.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  23. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

The endless runs up the middle on 1st down. Holy hell. I was a less predictable play caller on Tecmo Bowl!

• Winner Winner x 2
  24. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

I was thinking the same thing.

25. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I'll judge how well he can assess himself by who trots out to take the first snap at QB next week vs Rice.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It will be Thompson. He played with some fire tonight. I gave Thompson a hard appraisal last week before the game. It’s Card’s turn to see if he can be mature enough to be in the backup role after that stinker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

It doesn’t matter who is qb or rb when the defense is on you as soon as the ball is hiked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Gotta hand it to you Sabre. After last week's game you said you were very concerned and saw a lot to be worried about. I agreed with you and felt the OL play was an issue but many on here were jumping for joy because we beat U LaLa. Christ Sakes folk it was stinking U LaLa. The welcome mat has been picked up and put away, time for Sark and this staff to get to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  29. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I may be wrong, but I think Thompson will be the starter vs Rice. Card froze too much under pressure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Man do I hope you’re right, but I sense a stubbornness in Sark.

Thompson has done nothing not to earn the start next week. And going forward, unless or until he fails, the job should be his.

If he does start, I predict that he’ll hit at least two 50 + yard passes. That is a major flaw in Card’s game.

• Like Like x 3