Longhorns vs piggies

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Pomspoms, Sep 11, 2021.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

We had 118 passing yds today. Ark had 138 passing yds and 333 yards on the ground for a total of over 471 yards. Texas had 256 TOTAL rushing and passing yards only. Embarrassing to say the least. Haven't seen a game this bad since the Strong years. At least it wasn't as bad as the "Rout 66" that UCLA put on us at home in the late 1990's. But it was bad for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  2. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

why was this not a home and home schedule against the pigs?

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

It was a home and home. They came to Austin and then postponed our trip to Fayetteville.

4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I agree. Neither QB had much game experience, but Thompson has been in the program for 2 seasons and this is his third (I think). When the O was going 3 and out and Card wasn't settling in, the change should have been made. I thought Sark would do that early in the 2nd qtr, but he didn't. He waited until the 4th qtr (maybe it was the late 3rd) to make the change. However, Thompson found the EZ a couple of times with determined running himself.

We had some chances, WR's dropped 2 deep throws that could have been caught. Would it have made a difference in the outcome? Maybe, but maybe not. A lot of issues remain, like the O-line's Pass Pro. Arky's DL seemed to blast through a porous OL constantly. WRs dropped crucial passes. Name it, and it was not good. The DL was in the backfield as soon as Bijan touched the ball and he struggled to get the yards he did. The offensive woes resulted in a Defense having to be on the field after the frequent 3-and-outs. Even our kicker whiffed on a relatively short FG. Basically, every phase of the game was subpar for the Horns.

I don't know what Sark's plan is after this, but if I'm him as soon as I get back to Austin, I'm going to review the film over and over and make note of the mess-ups, the missed assignments whether blocking, tackling, gap assignments, coverages and so on. Then meet with the coaches on Sunday. The flaws we saw are many and have to be addressed before the next game. A big one is "who's going to start against Rice?" Hopefully they get the issues identified, make changes, and get ready for Rice next Saturday.

Finally, it was obvious that the Pigs had more determination, were on fire, and had more energy as soon as they put their cleats on the field. We seemed to merely go through the motions. That has to change and change quickly. HOOK 'EM!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

It's all about the O line.

• Agree Agree x 9
  6. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Couldn't sleep much last night, I was too pissed. Woke up after 3 hours, still pissed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Did anyone see the post game presser. The cool calm demeanor with which Sark carried himself, the fact he didn't keep gulping from a water bottle, his clear assessment of the contest? Folks we finally got ourselves a real.... oh wait 21-40.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

All you need to know about the O-line was displayed on that play where the ref blew the whistle and that arky DL continued unabated and hit Card below the knees. First of all that should have been a PF, but even so, not one OL came to Card’s defense. They just stood there like like the bunch of candy asses they are.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Hudson Card - #2 dual threat QB in the nation.

10. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

I will go one further- Bob Lilly

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

I was just as disgusted and upset as anyone. I am tired of mediocrity. I am tired of the hopes and expectations blown up on National TV.

But, Card IS a freshman in his second game. These ARE new schemes. This WAs a game where it seemed everything went against us.

I am taking a deep breath. I am remembering MY second trial as a prosecutor. MY second council meeting. MY second day in Command. As prepared for each as I was, I made mistakes, and likely looked awful at times

I am hoping we right the ship. I am hoping we start to click. We looked great in game 1 and awful in game 2. I am going to reserve harsh judgments for now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

College football is a game played, and usually won, by angry young men. Pigs came to the fight with a chip on their shoulder and Texas was just dressed up with no place to go. “O” line, “D”, coaching and all showed deficiencies in execution, decisions and level of play. But the common denominator appeared to me to be the “want to” factor. Arkansas hit them in the mouth and they took it. Has the old reputation of Texas is soft reared it’s head again? Hope not.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He looked hesitant to run, almost afraid to run last night. Maybe he’ll develop into a great dual-threat QB, I hope so, but he sure didn’t look dual-threat last night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I would love to have a Reggie White on this team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

At first i thought our receivers were not getting open. But after a while i realized Card was afraid to throw it. He lacked moxie. The pressure was too big for Card.
    A big mistake (one of many) was not calling short passing plays to help Card settle in, to build confidence.
    The other big mistake glaring mistake was not bringing in Thompson in the second quarter after we had realized card was shell shocked in over his head.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

My wife bought tickets to a concert in Dallas last night. I was a bit disgruntled when I discovered the concert and game were at the same time. Fortunately, I missed the entire sh*t show that was this game. No need to watch the recording. I am gruntled about that.

One step forward, three steps back.

• Hot Hot x 1
  17. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Chinstrap post nailed it.

"Angry young men win football games". DKR said it years ago and it is on my avatar signature line.

FWIW, I remember my Sr. year in HS - we had a mediocre team but we got focused & angry the week before a game against a much better rival team that was undefeated. We upset them and won by 10 points. We played much like arky. People around us said why can't you play like that every game? ....

Anyway, arky WAS hungry, angry, very aggressive, "chip on shoulder", determined to win last eve. Horns were not focused, not fired up, little to no passion and not determined. Furthermore they were not ready for that environment and lacked leadership.

Coaches share a large part of the blame for this debacle.

The Sark honeymoon is officially over y'all o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I firmly believe we should start every game like we are down 3 touchdowns. Play fast and mean and nasty. We started out timid and got punched in the mouth last night. We were not ready for their intensity and we did not match it.

This is on Sark.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WorsterMan

Other than THAT, how was the play they asked Mrs. Lincoln. Other than that Desperado, how was the concert?

As a serious fan, I think you need to watch the replay, painful as it was. You need to see for yourself how this went down. It certainly is going to affect lot of things on the team this week and the rest of the season IMHO. Perhaps, especially at QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

We ran into a buzzsaw.
    I'll never underestimate a buzzsaw again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I would like to watch the Sark press conference(s). Does anyone know if (and by who) they will be broadcast?

22. WorsterMan

ESPN Longhorn Network will likely broadcast it off and on Sunday.

23. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Concert was great. Jazz night. Julian Vaughn and Euge Groove. Mrs. Lincoln would have enjoyed it too.

24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If he starts saying stuff like “winning is hard” or “we’ve just got to play better”, I’m likely to throw a glass at the tv and break it.

25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

How Bijan got any yards at all is amazing considering there was someone, often two, defenders meeting him at the line and often in the backfield. Whew best thing I can say is thank God there were no injuries to him.

26. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Not last night. And not in college. At least not yet. Anyone who believes that, based on what we have seen from both QBs. believes that Card is the better dual threat QB hasn’t been watching the same “games” (not practice) that I have been watching.

27. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

The move to Thompson was past due. He did lift this team but the move was way to late. To me it seemed as though Card was out of his elemnt and lacked confidence. . Many passes were well short of where they were needed and if a receicer caught them they would not result in a first down. Pitiful display of a football game. Defense was worn due to offense not staying on field long enough. Offense seemed to have no drive or objective. Thompson seemed to have more energy and led the team better.

Officials really missed everal call; especially 2 targeting calls which should have resulted in big penalties and ejection of key players. No excuse for those calls to be blown.

It was the first for many coaches and players. It left a bitter taste in most of our mouths but let's not berate them after this terrible loss. Big disappointment but I fully expext they all will improve individually and as a unit!

• Like Like x 1
  28. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Sark should come out for 2 minutes and say “we all failed this week. Everyone’s job including mine is on the line. If you traveled to Fayetteville this weekend to watch this **** show, send me your receipts for a full reimbursement. Now I must go get this team ready for next Saturday
    .”

• Like Like x 1
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It appears that Hudson was playing stiff and playing not to make mistakes.
    It appears that Casey plays loose and to make plays/make things happen.

Hudson may have a higher ceiling—with good OL play and good WR play.
    But for the here and now, I can’t see how Sark doesn’t play Casey more than Hudson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While I agree that the O-Line sucked, as Sark’s has already admitted, Odom had his number and they were not expecting the three-man front. (Say what?)

Additionally, Thompson is a much more mobile quarterback as he demonstrated again last night. So for me, I place responsibility for the miserable performance equally on three factors:

1. The O-Line
    2. Sark’s inability to adjust.
    3. Not utilizing Thompson much earlier.

To me, the worst performance of the night falls at the feet of the HC.

• Agree Agree x 2