Longhorns with Super Bowl Rings

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by AustinBat, Feb 6, 2012.

1. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

1968-NY Jets: John Elliott, Jim Hudson, Pete Lammons, George Sauer
    1971-Dallas Cowboys: Don Talbert
    1981-SF 49ers: Ricky Churchman
    1983-LA Raiders: Johnnie Johnson, A J "Ham" Jones, Joe Shearin
    1985-Chicago Bears: Steve McMichael
    1986-NY Giants: Raul Allegre
    1987-Washington Redskins: David Jones, Terry Orr
    1989-SF 49ers: Terry Tausch
    1990-NY Giants: Raul Allegre (2nd ring)
    1991-Washington Redskins: Terry Orr (2nd ring)
    1997-Denver Broncos: Dan Neil
    1998-Denver Broncos: Dan Neil (2nd ring)
    1999-St Louis Rams: Taje Allen
    2000-Baltimore Ravens: Priest Holmes
    2001-NE Patriots: Curtis Jackson
    2005-Pitt Steelers: Casey Hampton
    2007-NY Giants: Aaron Ross
    2008-Pitt Steelers: Casey Hampton (2nd ring), Limas Sweed, Tony Hills
    2009-NO Saints: David Thomas
    2010-GB Packers: Jermichael Finley (Injured Reserve)
    2011-NY Giants: Aaron Ross (2nd ring)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

pretty cool. Oddly, you would think it would be more.

3. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Tom Landry (2)

4. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

How tremendously great was it to see Aaron Hook'em in his introdction?

and then to see sonya looking beautiful

best of all was Ross played great and in an interview with the NBC local in Dallas here is is, just won a Super Bowl and he proudly announced he bleeds orange.

Aaron and Sonya [​IMG]

6. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

As long as we're including coaches, Alan Lowry (a UT quarterback in the early seventies) was a special teams coach for the Forty-Niners in Super Bowl XXIX. He just completed his 16th season with the Titans.

7. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

According to various web sites, and we know the interwebs are true, ex.: The Link

the NFL pays the winning team for up to 150 rings at up to $5000 per ring.

Apparently, it's up the the team to decide who gets one, certainly roster players, major coaches, owners, etc.

The team can order more expensive rings, as the Steelers IIRC recent ring was $5500, probably because it had a diamond for each Super Bowl win (6).

Other staff, employees, etc., can get rings provided by the team that are smaller and less impressive.

I'm guessing Lowry was in the 150 "A-list" of ring recipients.

Certainly, Head Coach Tom Landry was entitled to his 2. Plus his collection of NFC title rings, since his 'Boys went to the SB 5 times, he's got 5 of those as well.

A lot of bling.

Oh, and he might have had a "T" ring since he lettered at Texas, though the custom I believe was implemented by DKR. He may have back dated a few rings for such legends as Landry.

I know J Neils Thompson, late engineering professor at UT, lettered in the 30s and he wore a T ring. But he also served UT as Chairman of UT Athletics, headed the SWC, and the NCAA, so maybe DKR authorized one for his service there.

Any help on the T ring?

8. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

If I remember correctly, you get the T ring for graduating, not just for lettering.

9. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

10. Bagoo

Bagoo 100+ Posts

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, Raul Allegre is the only Longhorn to ever score in a Super Bowl....no TD's ever scored by a Longhorn. [​IMG]

11. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

I thought Terry Orr scored a Td vs Buffalo. I could be wrong though. By the way, who the heck is A.J. "Ham" Jones? [​IMG]

12. oilburner

oilburner 100+ Posts

Two running backs named Johnny Jones in the same backfield.

Ham Jones was from Hamlin, TX.

Lam Jones was from Lampasas, TX.

13. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I thought AJ was "Jam" Jones but I guess I'm wrong.

14. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Allow me, ahem... [​IMG]

There were THREE Jones boys in the backfield for at least one year during that time -

Johnny Jones, Lampasas, TX
    Johnny Jones, Hamlin, TX
    A.J. Jones, Youngstown, OH (as the Parade All-American No. 1 player in the U.S. when Akers got him to come to Austin).

I believe the "Jam" was started after he came to Texas, seeing as we already had a "Lam [Lampasas]", and a "Ham [Hamlin]".

A.J. just became "Jam".

Donnie Little (# 1 QB in Texas) was a freshman when Ham was a SR, Lam a JR(?) and Jam a Soph (?). I think there were some games/plays that year with these four stud speedsters in the same backfield.

This was, IMHO, the fastest backfield Texas ever had.

I mean, afterall, Lam won an Olympic gold medal (4x100 relay?), and I think both other Jones's also ran track for UT's track team.

Ham, Lam, and Jam.

When ABC was opening their broadcast one Saturday (Arkansas game in Austin?), Musberger opened up with the song "Everybody's Talkin' About the Jones Boys" and related the story about them.

Hook 'em

P.S., found an interesting link, "74 memorable sporting events of the '70s" or something like that --- the "Jones Boys" came in as number 56 for their contributions in the 42-0 Texas win over Maryland in the Sun Bowl.
    The Link

15. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

i am not surprised the number of horns with rings is not more. Our numbers to the pros only went up significantly after the 2006 Rose Bowl.

Starting in '07, we have a horn with a ring every year, which makes sense because our numbers are spread pretty thin, most NFL teams only have one or two horns on the team, but add it up and we have about 50+ horns in the league.

16. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Yes, A.J. was indeed "Jam" Jones

17. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

AJ. Jones was actually part of the great recruiting clss of 1978 that included Donnie Little, Lawrence Sampleton, Kenneth Sims, Rodney Tate..
    ."Ham" Jones was a senior that year and Lam was a junior and predominantly a wide reciever by then. Jam and Little saw a lot of action that year. I think both were injured by years end.. I know "Jam" had season ending injuries his freshman and Sophmore seasons. Maybe even his junior year too.
    "Ham" Jones had a great game vs. Maryland his senior year. What I rember most about Ham was the great Blubonnet Bowl he had against Colorado in 1975. It's sometimes lost that "Ham" spent his junior year as the fullback for Earl Campbell in the new I formation.I also remember "Ham" breaking about a 40 yard run in the Cotton Bowl disaster against Notre Dame and juuuust getting pulled down by Irish player. I don't remember "Ham" playing in the NFL although I did hear once he was with the Oilers for a bit.