Looking for a dog park.

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by TRRW#31, Jan 22, 2009.

1. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

We just moved from FW to Austin a couple of months ago and we're looking for a good dog park. We're looking for one off leash, fenced and not too may people go.

Thanks.

2. iamtigerwoods

iamtigerwoods 500+ Posts

Austin Dog Parks

If you have a real dog and not just a barking cat, Red Bud Isle is as close to heaven as most dogs get. It is not fenced, but surrounded by water, so you would have to have an unruly dog for them to get loose.

3. GarCiaRia

GarCiaRia 100+ Posts

4. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

5. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable 250+ Posts

There's one on Riverside and I35 that matches what you're looking for. It's not nearly as great as Redbud or Auditorium Shores, but it's what you described.

6. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

That one on Riverside is always packed.

7. biscuithead

biscuithead 25+ Posts

Riverside is the only fenced dog park. It can be busy at times but our pooch generally has a good time. If your dog listens to you, Red Bud, Auditorium Shores and Bull Creek are great parks to take your dog to especially if they like to swim.

8. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

A dog that swims for about a half hour or longer is a dog that will be virtually non-existent the rest of the day. You will hear a snore or few but they crash hard. Mine does not make it out of the parking lot awake for the ride home.

9. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

If your dog likes to hike try the Turkey Creek trail at Emma Long Park. It's leash free and is a 2.75 mile loop in the trees that usually follows a creek (right now just a wash). Again, not fenced (I think the only fenced on is Norwood Estate on Riverside/I 35), but IMO if you want to have your dog off leash it needs to have a pretty solid recall and obedience to you anyway.

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I wish people realized that and heeded it, Whicks. Sadly most don't and their dogs run roughshod everywhere. It is not the dogs fault either.