Looking for a heavy duty grill

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Steel Shank, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

I already have a large smoker and a smaller smoker, but I'm in need of replacing my grill (old barrel style). I'm looking for something that is pretty heavy duty that won't wear out for a while. I've been on ranches where they've built their own out much heavier steel, and that's what I'm looking for. I've already checked Home Depot, Academy, HEB, BBQ Outfitters - but no luck. Callahan's says they have some starting at $400, so I'm going to go check there. Any other places within 30 miles or so that might have what I'm looking for?

2. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

The Link

I don't know if they have a dealer near you but you can give them a call and find out. Super friendly couple that own/run the business. I have seen them in a few stores. BBQ Galore might be one.

Top quality cookers from an experienced competitor. He has won just about every major contest at least once.

I have a couple of different models and I am extremely happy with them.

3. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

4. Olhorn

Olhorn 100+ Posts

Check Klose. Not cheap, no sir. But they do last. Mine is 12 years old and going good.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Miroslav makes a grill? I bet it is badass!!!

6. Texas_Matt

Texas_Matt < 25 Posts

If your just looking for a solid charcoal grill, I have one of these, its gota be 40 years old, made of cast aluminum and will last forever.
    The Link

Will never rust.

Matt

7. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

At lunch I'm heading over to Callahan's and then to Breed & Company which has the aluminum grills. I shall report back. The aluminum one might be just what I'm looking for. I'm getting tired of replacing the damn things every few years.

8. Pepper Brooks

Pepper Brooks 250+ Posts

9. Texas_Matt

Texas_Matt < 25 Posts

Steel Shank what did you decide on?

10. Steel Shank

Steel Shank 1,000+ Posts

I never found exactly what I was looking for, although Callahan's had a cast iron grill that was pretty large, but it didn't have a cover. I ended up getting a Brinkman from Cabela's on sale for $179, down from $249. I also talked them into throwing in a cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see my old grill pretty much doesn't have a bottom. It was well ventilated.

[​IMG]

11. baboso

baboso 250+ Posts

I'll throw another plug in for those aluminum PK grills. My folks had one that they bought around 1962. It was sold in the estate sale we had in 2001. Always outside and never with a cover. Only problem we had was the plastic wheel rims broke around 1974. The old man just leveled it up with cinderblocks and that's where it was when it got sold in 2001.