Looking for a new beer.

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by TRRW#31, Dec 11, 2008.

1. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

I'm looking for a new beer. Normally, I drink Bud Light, Bud Select, Shinerbock, Ziegen Bock, Dos XX, Tecate, and Michelob Ultra, but I'm looking to expand. I've tried Corona [​IMG] ,Red Stripe, Pacifico and most recently Blue Moon. I didn't like the Blue Moon at all. So, I'm looking for suggestions, but nothing too heavy.

2. foxyhorn

foxyhorn 100+ Posts

I really like Budweiser American Ale, it is their version of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

3. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

Miller Chill

4. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

sometimes I wonder if people here are serious.

6. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Try Moretti. I drink it when eating at Fireside Pies and not something I would fill the fridge with but has it's place.

7. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

Shiner Cheer. It's incredible.

8. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

Shiner Cheer?

I just googled Shiner Cheer and it is a dunkelweizen beer that is flavored with peaches and roasted pecans (and natural flavors).

Sounds .... interesting.

9. baylorbear245

baylorbear245 100+ Posts

I'm a big fan of Shiner Blonde, not too heavy.

10. Fanny McLonghorn

Fanny McLonghorn 100+ Posts

11. Hornius Emeritus

Hornius Emeritus 2,500+ Posts

12. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

Given the beers that you usually drink, try Bass and Newcastle.

Bohemia is pretty good, too.

All three of these have personality without being overwhelming. I suspect you will like Bass the least of the three.

13. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

14. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

peroni is VERY good.

I second the Newcastle Brown Ale. It is perhaps my favourite beer of all time.

I would also suggest the Sierra Nevada Porter. People are going to say Porters are 'heavy' because they are dark. That is flat out false. Porters are in general lighter than ales. Just as Guinness is lighter than Bass (which is why it 'floats' in a black and tan).

15. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

16. mcmike1492

mcmike1492 100+ Posts

Try Tsingtao, it's a Chinese beer. It's lighter, but good.

17. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

Maybe try Stella.

And if you're looking to bridge into more snobby beers, maybe try starting w/ Hefe's... they're flavorful, but easier to drink...

18. SouthernSooner

SouthernSooner 100+ Posts

I'm a big fan of Quilmes. I've only found it at Central Market in Austin though.

19. pike

pike 250+ Posts

big fan of Abita's entire line here.

20. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

21. coachkiss

coachkiss 250+ Posts

Coors Light has a vented can. That's worth something.

22. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

23. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

I'd try Negra Modelo. It's much better than Shiner Bock or Ziegencrap.In reply to:

24. hookem2003

hookem2003 500+ Posts

Try a place like Gingerman, Flying Saucer, etc. where they have flites. It's a good way to try a bunch of different beers at once, and if you don't like it you don't have to finish a whole beer.

25. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Real Ale in Blanco has some really good stuff. I really like their Rio Blanco Pale Ale. Their Fireman's #4 is good also and getting very popular around here.

26. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I apologise then. I didn't realise porter is an ale, and I guess I am just a sucker like most others when it comes to weight of beer.

I still say that Sierra Nevada porter is a great beer.

I will stick to recommendations based on taste, as I was clearly proved to be ignorant of so much in beerdom.

27. celis

celis 250+ Posts

Have you tried Rolling Rock or Heineken?

28. Tim & Omar's Apt

Tim & Omar's Apt 100+ Posts

I agree about the Shiner Cheer not being good. I found it way too sweet. It was like a peach cobbler beer float.

I agree with the above poster who suggested Shiner Blonde. Based on what you normally drink you should find it crisp and refreshing. It is a great summer beer. I would also recommend Fat Tire. It will be hoppier than what you are used to but it is really smooth.

29. TRRW#31

TRRW#31 250+ Posts

30. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

TRRW#31,

It sounds like you might really like Stella Artois or Plisner Urquell. Bohemia is a Mexican beer you might want to try.

You might also like Real Ale's Firemans 4, Full Sail's Session Lager, and Brooklyn Brewery's Lager.

These are all pretty "modest" and will give you a sense of the types of beer you might like.