Looks like we are headed to a 12 team playoff........

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LousianaHorn, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

SOMEBODY STOP THIS NONSENSE!!!

Keep it at 4, or go to 8.

16 will be detrimental to the college game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

But, but less than 16 might make the executives at ESPN/ABC cry

3. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

But you’d like that right?

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It should be 6. That is the line between a great and good teams (actually it is normally 4-5 but add one more to cover special instances). If we go to 8 or 12 or 16, the extra games are meaningless.

5. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

So then why are there any tournaments in any sport with more than 6 initial participants? I don’t see your implied argument that football is such a special case? More than 8 or 12 I definitely agree is diminishing returns but 4 or 6 is just too small of a pool with college football parity plus the wild card factor of NIL these days.

6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Why does football play 12 regular season games whereas basketball plays 30 or more and baseball plays 50 or more?

7. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

This would be a great year for no playoffs and instead, simply a 1 vs. 2 championship game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Just like 2005 USC v Texas. That’s as close to perfect as you’ll ever get. But we’ll never get it again.

9. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

This makes conference title games completely meaningless. Uga, Michigan. Tcu, usc would all be smart to play the bench. What a waste of a "championship game"

This also means a 16 game schedule for the finalists. Too many.

If they do this 8 team cfp, go back to a 10 game schedule. No ccg. It would also force the hand of p5 teams to quit playing the likes of incarnate word and App State (whoop). Ten game schedule doesn't allow for that. Strength of schedule would actually come into play with a shorter season

10. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

I can get behind this - dump the CCG and the useless creampuff games. I’m not sure why many here are romanticizing the 4-game “playoff.”

• Like Like x 1
  11. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Something like this has to be in their consideration with the concept of an insane 12 team schedule.

12. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Now is a good time for everyone to evaluate how exciting this weekends games were relative to any of the previous weekends this season.

For me, this was the least exciting, least enjoyable of the season.