Lost 1/21

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by Basil Your Face, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Basil Your Face

Basil Your Face 100+ Posts

Just a few hours and we find out (maybe) where and when the freaking island ended up.

The first of the two episodes has gotten great reviews . . .

2. GigoloJoe

GigoloJoe 250+ Posts

The "catchup" pre-show is well done. And helpful for those who have missed large chunks of the various seasons, like me.

3. Gimlet

Gimlet < 25 Posts

Odd question, but does anyone know the brand of the orange tie the guy on the left was wearing? That was the perfect shade of burnt orange. All my orange ties look cheap as ****.

4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Interesting episode - kind of makes me wonder if the reason the survivors "have to go back" and that the island "wouldn't let" certain things happen is that they've already happened, and that somehow all of them got dropped into the past at some point.

5. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

This season is going to be strange. I already feel lost [​IMG] But I'm loving every minute of it!

6. dxspaz

dxspaz 250+ Posts

i think prodigal's got it right. like to dorky dude was saying, if it didn't happen then it can't happen. if they don't go back the the island will be stuck in some paradox and they will all be trapped

7. ProdigalHorn

The main question then becomes - when did the record skip (as it were.) My guess is that when they didn't enter the numbers that one time and had that big huge event, that may have been when the island (or the people on the island) moved back in time. So now they're "behind", question is, how far behind are they?

It could also be that they jumped ahead, which explains why the doc washed up on the beach before he got killed, and why it took longer for the helicopter to check in with them at the ship once it left the island.

OK my head hurts now...

8. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"when did the record skip (as it were.) My guess is that when they didn't enter the numbers that one time"

I thought about this too, but thought the "skip" may have been the event that brought flight 815 down. That's why no one seems to really die or stay dead.

9. ProdigalHorn

Possible, but the problem with that is that most of the issues seem to surround the people not being supposed to leave, people not being able to die/be killed off the island... it seems like if the people on the island were supposed to STAY on the island, then the crash itself should have been in the normal course of time. So it seems like the disruption should have happened while they were already on the island.

10. Kwisatz

Kwisatz 500+ Posts

Why doesn't Walt have to go back?

11. elguapo

elguapo 250+ Posts

My understanding is that the record skipped when Ben moved the island. The time difference experienced by those on the island vs. those on the freighter (for example the Dr washed up on the island before he died on the freighter) just seems to be one of the unusual properties of the island.

12. ProdigalHorn

Maybe because Walt was going to leave the island anyway. Maybe his supernatural qualities make him immune to the island effects. Maybe a plot hole.

13. Big Ess Fro

Big Ess Fro 250+ Posts

I have 3 questions/comments

1) When did Locke tell Jack they had to go back? I don't remember that at all.

2) Ben seems to agree that it is necessary for them to go back, yet Ben was completely cavalier about those cats getting on the helicopter at the end of Season 4. What gives? With all Ben knows about the island, why would he let them go?

3) I wouldn't put to much analysis into "why do they have to go back to the island?" Whenever we get an "answer", it will be full of holes. The real answer is that it is necessary for dramatic reasons. In other words, it would not be interesting to watch a show where our 6 favorite characters get on with life without a care while the plot plays out on the island. I wouldn't over-think that one.

14. ProdigalHorn

15. UTViking

UTViking 250+ Posts

I couldn't stop laughing when AnaLucia told Hurley not to get arrested.

16. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

Remind me never, ever stick knives in the dishwasher with the tips up! [​IMG]

17. Not Shinola

Not Shinola 250+ Posts

I can't believe no one mentioned the 20lbs Sawyer gained between beach scenes, or the 300 lbs Hurley gained for that matter.

18. ProdigalHorn

It did seem like Sawyer was a little doughy, but with Hurley, are you really gonna notice 300 more pounds? That's like saying "didn't you notice how much sandier the desert is today?"

19. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

could it be that the reason Locke could walk when they crashed is that when they landed, the island time was such that he hadn't had his accident yet?

20. ProdigalHorn

I don't think so - they've alluded to some other qualities of the island as well. Plus I remember someone making the comment to Ben about how he must be angry that Locke and so many others came to the island and got well, but he came and got sick. (Think it was Juliette.) So I think there's more going on there than just the time travel aspect.