LOST 5/4

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by HornHawk, May 4, 2010.

1. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

Well. That was intense.

2. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

Awesome episode. I got chills during that Jin and Sun scene.

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

When they headed to the sub, I remember thinking "why isn't the all-powerful smoke guy leading the charge? That's kinda lazy writing." Just goes to show you there's a reason for all (or most) of it. Of course, when he switched the backpack it made sense, but I thought his reasoning was that if Jack brought the bomb on board, that was Jack killing everyone and not him. Apparently it has to be a little more direct than that.

So it looks as if Whidmore really DID lock them up for their own protection (at least the candidates).

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

good episode

5. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

sad to see two of the main characters killed off after all this time.

6. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

3 main characters, if you count Sayid. They're still around in the other timeline though, so they're only killed off in one timeline.

7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Good episode. Finally moving the main story towards a conclusion.

We can put to rest the "who is really the bad guy, Jacob or Smokey" arguments. Obviously Smokey wants to cause all the candidates to die, sorta indirectly, and then he can leave the island and wreak havoc.

At least three major characters killed: Sayid, Jin, and Sun. Some minor ones killed too, maybe Lapidus(?), that's unclear at this point. Kate shot!

And Sayid said to Jack something like, "because you're gonna be the one". Does that mean Jack is the next Jacob?

And anybody care to guess how many times the major Lost players have been captured by a group and then released or escaped? It must be dozens of times by now between The Others, Widmore, Dharma, Smokey, etc. It's a daily occurrence with that group.

8. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

9. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

We can put to rest the "who is really the bad guy, Jacob or Smokey" arguments.

i dont know how anybody could realistically think the smokey was really a good guy.

10. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

11. ProdigalHorn

12. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

14. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

Alright... I'm confused by the new "rule" offered last night.

Jack offered that NotLocke can not kill a candidate, despite what NotLocke says. Had they left the bomb alone, in the state that NotLocke left it, it could not have exploded because that would have violated the "rules". That said, when Sawyer interfered it allowed the bomb to explode, essentially saying that NotLocke can't kill them directly but can provide them the tools to kill each other.

What I don't get is how this relates to what we saw a few episodes back when Richard and Jack went into the Black Rock to play Roulette with the dynamite. Richard lured Jack/Hurley there so they could light the dynamite and kill him (a task he couldn't do for himself). In this sequence it is offered that the dynamite can NOT explode because the island isn't done with Jack. That said, last night it was offered that candidates are not immune from the actions of candidates.... which is to say since Jack lit the fuse, the dynamite should have exploded.

It seems as though we are going to define some of the rules next week, so I'm hopeful that this inconsistency will be reconciled. In the meantime, I offer this:

1-NotLocke can not kill a candidate
    2-A candidate can not kill himself
    3-A candidate CAN be killed by another candidate

Which is to say:
    -Had Sawyer left the bomb alone, it could not have exploded as it would have violated rule 1
    -The dynamite that Jack lit could not detonate while Jack was nearby or it would have violated rule 2

That said, if these rules are accurate, then all of a sudden the transaction on the sub becomes even more complicated. Had Sawyer left the bomb alone, it could not have detonated without violating rule 1. Had Sawyer "defused" the bomb but stayed close to it, it STILL could not have detonated without violating rule 2. In essence, Sawyer armed the bomb which allowed it to kill Sayid, but Sayid's act of bravery (removing the bomb from the other candidates) is what allowed the bomb to explode and rupture the hull of the sub, which in turn could kill the rest of the candidates.

We still have not established what, other than death, can remove a candidate from the list. We know it is possible to be taken off the list without dying since Kate is still around... but it seems to me that this is a big issue which no one seems to be particularly interested in.

15. trueut2003

trueut2003 250+ Posts

It is just me, or is there a continuity goof with Claire in the sideways world? She was in the hospital last night, still pregnant. And she met Jack in the last episode, still pregnant. But wasn't Kate with her the entire time that she hijacked the cab to the point where Claire had her baby?

16. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

She had a false labor which they stopped.
    The Link

17. trueut2003

trueut2003 250+ Posts

Correct, you are. Thanks!

18. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I'm forgetful. Where's Richard? Ben? Desmond (i assume he's still in the well, but not sure)?

19. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The remaining candidates would appear to be Jack, Sawyer and Hurley. I am confused as to why Kate was scratched off the list or how Widmore knew about that hard to learn fact, but thats the way it seems to be. It also seems that everyone else not the final candidate will die. Talk about getting voted off the island.

If that last part is wrong, and someone(s) does survive, whether a candidate or not, how will he/she get off the island now? Can that plane actually fly? Without Lupidus? With him? Is the frozen big wheel still in play as a possibility?

Lastly, seemed like Coldplay music to me.

[​IMG]

21. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

Can someone explain to me why MIB sometimes attacks people as smokey (e.g., around the cages), and then at other times in human form (e.g., when approaching the plane). Why the difference? And is there some connection between Desmond's ability to withstand electromagnetism and MIB's inability to get past the electrical barrier? Just curious.

22. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

23. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

we're being led to think that Jack will be the Candidate, as the episode seems to be aptly titled. Though, LOST has a history of throwing wrenches out of left field.

24. chiwanna

chiwanna 100+ Posts

25. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

26. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I'm beginning to buy into the theory that Jack will ultimately become Jacob's replacement.

it looks this way but it seems a little too obvious. of course, there are not many choices left. it seems like the smoke monster/mib has always tried to kill those people that came to the island or use them in some purpose to get off. im looking forward to the finale.

27. ProdigalHorn

I have this feeling that the final scene in this show is going to be Jack and Locke sitting on the beach, with Locke saying "You know, one day I'm going to find a way to kill you."

28. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

29. Big Ess Fro

Big Ess Fro 250+ Posts

This is just my theory, but since I am 100% confident that it is spot-on, you can consider it a spoiler and thus not read-on if you want to avoid spoilers
    Ben has been working for MIB/Flocke for quite some time. It was Ben that brought everybody back to the island, it was Ben that killed Locke, it was Ben that made sure Locke's body came back to the island, it was Ben that put the explosives on the plane (not Widmore) and it was Ben that was smart enough to break from the crowd that was on a path to eventually get on that sub.

Ben is working for MIB.

Just because he is an enemy of Widmore does not necessarily put Widmore on the side of Jacob, but that is the most likely situation. With Jacob gone, Charles is trying to get the Candidate to take Jacob's place.

Sawyer and Jack are candidates. Kate is not. So why is she still around? Somehow the stupid love triangle is going to play into the final test - the test that will be passed when the candidate (likely jack) does the right thing. Sawyer will, even if he isnt the candidate, be integral to the final test because one common theme in the show is that people have to decide things for themselves, but of course, a conman's job is to convince people to make certain decisions. I am guessing Sawyer pulls "a long con" on Flocke/Ben and dies in the process.

But the end result is, just as y'all have stated, Jack and Locke staring at the sea - with Locke telling Jack how much he wants to kill him.

ta-da!

30. ProdigalHorn