Lost In My Career ...

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Barton Hills, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

Get in touch with some Horns. I've had quite a few fellow Horns help me out. A guy I email every-so-often has helped me a lot with just giving advice. I just reached out again this morning to him on a job opening at the company he works for. We'll see where that goes. Even though I haven't gone to a function or used their services, the Texas Exes can help you out with getting you in contact with people in a certain field.

2. Gate_of_Horn

Gate_of_Horn 25+ Posts

3. UTIceberg

UTIceberg 250+ Posts

No offense, but "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" is nothing short of a fruad. I would regarding everything written by Robert Kiyosaki with a grain of salt. I think he's nothing more than a snake oil salesman.

4. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

5. marley

marley 500+ Posts

Unless you have a pretty good idea (quantitatively) of what you'd enjoy and what you'd do well in, it's futile to contact a bunch of other people.

Chances are, you'll just end up in a career/job that you dislike as much as the one your're currently in.

The tests (administered by career counselors) that match your aptitude and interest level with those of successful people in a variety of careers REALLY DO WORK.

IMO, if one is unhappy in one's career, taking those tests and getting a credible career counselor to help interpret those results is a great way to probabilisticly avoid another major life disappointment.

6. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

OKay, someone help a brother out. I thought those tests were only taken in high school but I am wrong. How do I find them (magic words for a google search)? There's got to be a place in Houston. How does the cash flow work with these things too?

7. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Tailgate Management.

8. AnotherUTFan

AnotherUTFan 25+ Posts

What Color is You're Parachute?

I was forced into a career change after 9/11 (Airlines). This book was recommended to me and is great. Helps you figure out what you want to do and how to start doing it. Just work the exercises.

I highly recommend starting here.

9. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

1. You are 28, so there is nothing to freak out about. There is no shame in changing careers at that age (or any age for that matter but it gets more difficult as you get older).

2. You will never have a more fulfilling feeling (professionally) than you will by starting and running your own business. Now, admittedly, you presently don't know what you want to do right now.........but whatever you decide to do next, I would really think about whether you are learning a skill set that you can use to start your own business.

The sooner you free yourself from working for others, the happier you will be.

Good luck.