LOST

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by ptownhorn, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ptownhorn

ptownhorn 1,000+ Posts

Season premier last night.

#######spoiler###########

I wonder if their parallel lives are how the show is going to end.

i hope Sawyer beats Jacks *** every chance he gets

2. dxspaz

dxspaz 250+ Posts

so who thinks it's jacob in sayids body now?

3. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

whoa ... i hadn't thought of that possibility.

speaking of ... that was pretty much my thought process for most of the night .... "whoa"

4. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

Great thought. I didn't think of that one. So you think Jacob is not "dead"?

5. dxspaz

dxspaz 250+ Posts

maybe jacob is just some physical projection of the island, like a guardian. what i really want to know is where is home for mr smoke monster? he said all he wants is to leave and i have to assume it was jacob keeping him there.

6. Brak

Brak 500+ Posts

7. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Clearly Sayid being alive is key to "winning", and it would make sense that Jacob would need a shell of some kind. So that may be the case.

I think "home" for the monster may be back in the world. it makes you wonder if he's some sort of satanic being whose bent is corrupting people and causing mayhem, and the island itself is basically a prisoner. That would make jacob basically a jailor of sorts.

I'm curious how Juliette knew that Jack's plan worked. And I think it's very interesting that the end of the show indicated that as bad as things looked on the island, the second chance on the other life may give some of them peace such as Jack having a chance to help Locke walk again.

What will also be interesting is finding out about the subtle changes to the flight - Shannon not on the flight, Hurley now being lucky, Jack being the worried flier and Rose being the one calming him down, Sawyer for some crazy reason passing on a "mark", MIchael and Walt not being on the plane (or they were and they just couldn't figure out how to get around Walt's bigness.)

8. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

9. 90 Grad

90 Grad 500+ Posts

Was Desmond a ghost?

10. ProdigalHorn

Desmond was another change - I'm actually a little surprised Jack didn't recognize him, since he recognized him immediately in the hatch. That makes you wonder if his history with Desmond has also changed.

I don't know if he was a ghost but clearly they were trying to give the impression that he was.

11. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

If one presumes that the same rules apply to Not-Locke that apply to Jacob (that they are the same type of phenomena) it is relevant to point out that Not-Locke assumed Locke's form, he did not steal his body. I'm not sure how that applies to Jacob taking Sayid's body, but it seems worth noting. I took from Miles' reaction to Jacob that he did not see dead Sayid (meaning Sayid wasn't gone) but that wasn't made clear in any way.

As for the ethics of Jacob and Not-Locke, I'm not sure that we can effectively take sides yet. Jacob is definitely more pro-island than not-Locke, but he seems to have personally orchestrated each and every person coming to the island for some time, and he's been willing to do some terrible things to accomplish that. Both Jacob and Not-Locke seem to view people as being more chess pieces in some larger game, and I'm not sure it is fair to call Jacob the good one yet.

As far as Juliet's proclamation that "it worked", I'm not sure we can necessarily assume that she was referring to the bomb, as it is just exactly the type of thing that the writers would bait and switch us with. That said, presuming that it was exactly what she was referring to, I wonder if post-jughead death means to be released from the island to the other timeline. That Juliette in her inbetween place was seeing both. If that is the case, then I'm sure Sayid will have something interesting to say next week.

Yeah the flight was very different, and the most different thing was that desmond was on the plane. This suggests that even without the anomaly these people are still being drawn to the island, they just can't be pulled in. All of the specifics on the plane were wrong, though the generalities were more or less the same.

I'm interested how they address where Christian's body got off to. The logical conclusion is that it went to the island, but the mechanism for that seems to be gone.... more later

12. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

13. ProdigalHorn

14. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

So did anyone else catch that the present day (them on the plane) island is submerged underwater? I think we can conclude that the jacob/smoke monster/sayid being shot/jack and Kate captured storyline is 3 years in the future. How in the world do they fuse the island being submerged underwater in present day, but them on the island 3 years in the future from present day?

15. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

disparate concurrent timelines

16. ProdigalHorn

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Did we see Aaron's father?
    I seem to recall we did in one episode, but that was literally years ago.
    His name wasnt Jacob was it?

[​IMG]

18. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

No Jacob is not Aaron's father; however, he is related as is Jack.

19. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

BTW, it may be obvious to some, but no one's yet mentioned that the new Anglo character at "the temple" is played by the same actor (John Hawkes) who played Sol Star (i.e., Seth Bullock's partner in the hardware store) on Deadwood.

20. bedhead

bedhead 100+ Posts

I don't think Desmond was a ghost on the plane. I think his disappearance had something to do with Jack saving Charlie from an OD/dying in the plane's bathroom.

It seemed that Desmond had the ability to read the future on the show and he was there to help keep Charlie from dying on the island, which he had seen in a vision. Once Charlie was saved, his work on the plane was over?

I have so many theories, my head hurts, and no TV show has ever made me feel so stupid, yet I love every minute of it!

I think that by blowing up the island, now instead of "unsticking the needle from a record" in time and moving forward and backward, they have changed the time continuum into a 2-pronged fork and are parallel.

21. chiwanna

chiwanna 100+ Posts

22. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

A co-worker of mine is adamant that Aaron is Jacob and Jacob can travel through time. weird thought, but interesting at the same time.

23. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

24. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

25. 90 Grad

90 Grad 500+ Posts

26. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

Probably a stupid question, but does Juliet die from injuries in her fall down the shaft? Because I'm guessing that even though she detonated the bomb, the bomb didn't kill her because the bomb exploding caused it never to explode in the first place because it wasn't there to explode. What?

27. freyguy

freyguy 250+ Posts

because of the white flash, all we truly know is time changed. I think Miles alluded that their ringing ears was due to the time jump and not the bomb.

i'm wondering if Jacob talked to Juliet while she was "quiet", and that's why she was abt to tell Sawyer "it worked".

I also wonder if no-plane-crash Locke is actually the smoke monster now. I know everybody's reality was apparently altered, but Locke just seemed to be too much at peace.

28. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

29. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

30. AustinTejasFan

AustinTejasFan 1,000+ Posts

"I have so many theories, my head hurts, and no TV show has ever made me feel so stupid, yet I love every minute of it!"

Then get your Gilligan's Island dvd out. Many of the scenarios in Lost are not new. Look to Gilligan's Island for the shark, the raft, and many more plot similarities.