Louie Mueller's in Taylor

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by C-Man, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

their specials are that they have prime rib on fridays and saturdays and I think the ham may be that way too. The ham at Kreuz is good but just for a change up, not to be compared to the other meats.

The sausage at city market is 100% beef sausage, which means that they use beef fat and not pork fat. The others have beef sausage but use pork fat as a filler. Compared to Kreuz's links they have less pepper and more garlic.

2. TPCJ

TPCJ 25+ Posts

Roger, you have sold me on the City Market sausage. It sounds great and could be worth a special trip.
    ROX, thanks for the help posting a pic.

3. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

While City market is my favorite BBQ place; the absolute best sausage is Cotton's BBQ in Robstown. Yeah, it is a couple more hours, but near by you can take a left and go to Port A and fish or fish... Or perhaps drink some tequila.

4. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

I do LOVE the sausage at Cotten's, but it's a totally different style of sausage. In my mind, there are basically three kinds of sausage:

Coarse and crumbly -- that's what Kreuz's, Luling, Elgin, etc. are. This is the classic TX bbq sausage in my mind.

Firm, polish-style -- the classic kielbasa and its relatives. Think ekrich, and what they serve at Cooper's. It's really not a favorite of mine. It has a place, but I just don't think it's a great bbq sausage.

Cotten's -- their sausage is unique in Texas, as far as I can tell. It's closest relative is linguica (Brazil) or chorizo (Argentina) -- a large chunks of meat, salty sausage. I have great memories of eating choripans (sausage on a roll) on the street in Argentina, and the sausage at Cotten's reminds me of that a lot. it's really good stuff. It's so different from the classic crumbly sausage that I don't know if I can even compare them to say that one is better than the other -- it's its own thing, and it's very good.

Goddamit. I didn't eat breakfast, and now I'm hungry.

5. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

****. I am going with friends to eat sushi in a moment and feel dirty, unmanly and weak from reading this thread again. Seeing the pictures hammers it home. I love sushi but cannot believe I am not going to be eating some cue instead. We need a badass place in Austin.

Hornian needs to open a place. I have enough equity in my home to get a place and small business loan. ****.