Louisville QB Kyle Bolin to transfer?

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by MudHorn, Apr 15, 2017.

1. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

Looks like the UT staff has been in contact with UL senior QB Kyle Bolin. He would be eligible to play this fall.

http://www.scout.com/college/louisville/story/1771077-bolin-transferring-louisville

Kyle Bolin has decided to leave the University of Louisville.

The senior quarterback has confirmed to Cardinal Authority that he will transfer and spend his final season at another school. Bolin is set to graduate from U of L in May and will be eligible immediately next fall.

“This has been the plan the whole spring and that’s why my reps have been limited,” Bolin said. “We had some young guys who needed to get reps and I let coach (Petrino) know what my plans were so he could see that those guys got their reps.

“I can’t thank coach Petrino, the university and the whole city enough. But I sat down with my family and we decided this is the best decision for me because I do want to continue to play."

Bolin said he’s already had several schools contact him, including Cincinnati, Texas, Northern Illinois and Western Michigan. He made a visit to Cincinnati on Friday for the Bearcats' Spring Game.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Bolin, a native of Lexington, Ky., was rated a four-star prospect coming out of Lexington Catholic. He redshirted during the 2013 season at U of L and appeared in four games during the ’14 season.

Bolin had just seven pass attempts when he was inserted into the Kentucky game on the final week of the regular season because of injuries and led the Cardinals to a come-from-behind victory. He threw for 381 yards and three TDs. He then started the Belk Bowl against Georgia and was 20 of 40 for 300 yards and one TD.

But he didn’t win the starting QB spot for the ’15 season.

Reggie Bonnafon started the season under center and Lamar Jackson was a true freshman. Bolin started five games and had a 3-2 record, while throwing for 1,154 yards and seven TDs. As a backup to Jackson during he Heisman Trophy season in ’16, Bolin played in six games and completed 18 of 27 passes for 234 yards and two TDs.

Bolin has been practicing with U of L during spring drills but was running third team behind Jackson and redshirt freshman Jawon Pass, one of the highest-rated recruits in school history.

"Coach Petrino has been great this spring letting me get some reps even though he knew what I wanted to do," Bolin said. "It was a tough decision for me. I remember getting a little emotional when I was telling coach Petrino.

"I love the University of Louisville and have ever since the day I committed. And it wasn't just football, but the teammates I've had are friends and everybody else around the university. I know I always have a friend in coach Petrino and a lot of former teammates."

In 17 career games, Bolin completed 141 of 242 passes for 2,104 yards and 13 TDs.

2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

We certainly need a backup. Sam needs to redshirt. He'd be a passable backup, but hell, he might be all-conference as a fifth year senior.

• Like Like x 4
  3. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Maybe one of the reasons Coach won't name Shane as a starter. A graduate transfer.

4. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't know. 13 TD's in three seasons isn't that spectacular. Also, if he was going to be the starting QB at Loserville he probably would not be transferring.

I suspect they want to RS Sam, but cannot without a experienced back-up.

5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

yeah, i didn't mean just this guy. just one in general. but what you're saying is true.

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Bolin was was running third in Louisville. I really don't hold it against the kid that he wasn't first string. The starter, Lamar Jackson, won the Heisman trophy last year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Upside is if Boo has to come out of the game, we'd have a backup that has been under fire and has bowl game experience. Downside is while he's played in 17 games he's still average and second fiddle. But, right now I'd lean to bringing him on. Who knows?

• Like Like x 2