Lovie Smith?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horn6721, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

You Texan fans
    Happy with Smith as HC?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Hes Black so yeah.

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • poop poop x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

He is a hire that stays the course of mediocrity that the Texans have strived to achieve from the outset. And McNair and Easterby will be happy since it keeps the Rooney Rule idiots off of their backs...

And yes, I know some of the crappy quarterbacks he had in Chicago and still got to the Super Bowl, but he got canned there for missing the playoffs five of his last six years IIRC. Some of his work at Illinois actually impressed me given how little he often had to work with...but it still wasn't an overwhelming impressed.

If the win line is set next season at 6, I am taking the under. At 4.5 or 5.5, I will evaluate the alternate lines...

4. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I get that the NFL was likely pushing any team with an open HC spot to hire an AA HC but...Lovie Smith? Really? His run in Chicago wasn't all bad (3 division crowns albeit in a WEAK division) but he followed that by going 17-39 at U of Illinois. I guess Houston is just hoping to make the playoffs which is what Smith has proven he can do every other year. The last winning season he's been associated with was 2012, his last in Chicago when they missed the playoffs at 10-6.

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Lovie is a quality human being who deserves better than the Cal Cluster, who will never admit the franchise problems are player selection rather than coaching. It doesn't matter who is HC, with a no talent roster, they will always be assured of being home to Christmas shop and spend time with their family.

With Lovie as HC, I might watch a quarter or two of some of their games because of him.

The Cal Cluster is to the NFL what New Mexico State is to the NCAA playoffs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. oilburner

oilburner 100+ Posts

Lovie just couldn't find a way to use Cedric to get them to the promised land, though.

7. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Shame on you. You have absolutely no proof he’s an alcoholic.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I have a feeling, knowing who you are replying to, that it was a typically stupid comment with no proof of anything, so, nothing to see there...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He said "AA HC" and LC was being punny with the response.

I think it's a terrible hire. It'd be one thing if the Texans had a mediocre defense to fall back on, but they don't even have that at the moment. It's a horrible draft year for a QB, but also getting some pass protection with the #3 pick isn't going to do much if there are no skill position players to protect. Lovie isn't known for his risk-taking with personnel.

They should have just blown the doors off with a McVay-style offensive guru.

• Like Like x 1
  10. horninchicago

I stand by my comment. Since I don't see the other person's comments, I go by the content of what LC wrote. I couldn't care less what the other guy thinks.

11. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

I don't have a dog in that fight as I don't much care for the NFL as a whole, but it amazes me how the professional leagues generally just retread the same coaches around the league rather than doing some actual work to conduct due diligence and identify fresh candidates. The same guys go from team to team producing lackluster results while the owners and GMs spin it as that last piece they needed to get to a title.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Here you go:

Translation: SH was making a comment that clearly referenced AA as "African American." LC made a joke conflating "AA" as "Alcoholics Anonymous" rather than the intended "African American," which I suspect LC knew and intended to do as a joke.

The joke is that someone would take "AA" out of its clear context and misinterpret it as something derogatory, and then attack the OP without clarifying what he meant in his post. See? It's funny on lots of levels. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't follow or watch Cal's Cluster, but you can be the HC or OC and the results will be the same. As long as you have HS level talent, you are going to get the same results. The GM is just as clueless as Charlie Disasterly, and will get the same results.

Lovie is a good guy and a good coach. Glad he's getting a couple of fat paychecks to retire on. Hopefully McNair or the TV networks will give Lovie good seats to the Super Bowl because with that owner & GM, that's the only way he'll be there.

:deadhorse:

14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Prod
    Or AA could also mean Affirmative Action
    Yet another level

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

SO, to be clear...a drunken person of color allowing a check box (and fans) to be ticked off.

/ducks and runs

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

With that hire, I don't think the Texans are particularly interested in winning football games.

17. horninchicago

Again, I have that person on ignore, I guess you didn't figure that out. I don't care what that guy says, jokes or not.

Glad you and another popster feel the need to try to educate me on something I don't care about.

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, there is no emoji for that is so true it is "Hilarious"

Have they ever been? Using their first ever pick for perhaps the dumbest QB in NFL history? Passing on trading the #1 for multiple picks, then using it to take a guy that wasn't even the best DL on his college team? A guy with a history of taking plays, quarters, halves, entire games off? Could their offense score on Katy HS defense?

On the bright side, they did help the HLS&R get a new stadium built for the only sellouts very year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Funny that, putting someone on ignore but being compelled to respond to their posts, which you can’t see, anyway,:catfight:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  20. horninchicago

Ah, another genius in the ranks. Tell me, Professor, where I said I read his post.

21. 2003TexasGrad

I hope yall realize my sarcasm earlier but can we just be happy that the Texans are doing their part by contributing to diversity? :yippee:

22. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Don't the Texans have some sort of Rasputin character, without a football background, who wormed his way into the McNair family and now has a job for near life, no matter how many bad decisions he makes?

As for this re-tread, yeah once you're in the "in club" of being an NFL coach, you have to stink the place out and be fired 3 to 4 different places before they finally don't hire you anymore.

It's like being the Prime Minister of some third world country, where you go from dictator, to fleeing to London with $$$, then back into power when the dude who overthrew you doesn't do any better of a job, and gets tossed out next.

23. 2003TexasGrad

He is known by some as Easterby.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, his name is Cal. At birth he made the most important business decision of his life - he traveled down the right birth canal.

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. 2003TexasGrad

Yeah theres Tommy Boy too of course.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Easterby is carrying on an extraordinary level of incompetence started by Charlie Disasterly and continued by Smith.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Yeah...where would the NFL be without the losers coexisting with the mediocre and winning teams. And the Texans definitely have the losing covered...

28. 2003TexasGrad

Losing is ok as long as you're politically correct. Woohoo!

29. TEXAS1983

TEXAS1983 250+ Posts

Casserley also managed to further f**k over the already hapless NY Jets by pushing Mike Mccagnan on them as a GM.

30. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

The Texans at this point are failed organization. No improvement is going to be possible until they get a new owner, as the McNair son is incapable of running a successful NFL team.

They has some success, as such, with Bill OB, then fired him what 5 games into the 2020 season. Apparently there was a lot of behind the scenes drama between him and the players.

So they bumped up Romeo Crennel to head coach - and they went 4-8 for the rest of the year. Not too surprising, as he'd been in the same role in KC - bumped up to head coach, did terrible, and was fired.

Then they hired David Culley, who at age 66 had never been a head coach - and understandably so, as he went 4-13 and was given the boot after just one year. Was a good deal for him I'm sure - must have gotten a 3 year contract at least, probably more, so that plus his Social Security check will make him set for life.

Just a joke of an organization. Who would possibly be a Texan season ticket holder and pay big $$$ for the rubbish teams they field?