low carb lasagna

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by The Eyes of Texas, Jul 18, 2011.

1. The Eyes of Texas

The Eyes of Texas 500+ Posts

I haven't tried it yet...eating it tonight, but I put it together last night and put it in the fridge to bake for supper today. My mom told me to try this....use zucchini instead of pasta noodles. Peel them and cut them length-wise....
    Everything else (except the dollop of honey I add to my sauce) is already low-carb...

I'll let you know how it turns out.

2. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Wouldn't cardboard noodles be even lower carb?

3. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

isn't the main issue with lasagna probably the amount of fat in it that contributes to overall caloric content and not the noodles themselves?

4. The Eyes of Texas

I'm doing the low carb thing...fat is not a problem with my diet.

5. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

I happen to LOVE zucchini. I even put it in my many pasta sauces that I make. I think it would work well to cut the carbs out. I guess I have just never understood the low carb diets. I always take it as a total calories in, total calories out bottom line trying to be balanced in what I eat; carbs, fat, and protein.

6. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I have done the low carb thing several times and it is not sustainable for ME. I have lost a lot of weight doing it, but it always came right back and since I have simply reduced my calories, over 8 months, I have lost 45 pounds and my appetite has been reduced dramatically over time. Any health professional who is not being paid to sell a "diet" will probably agree that "balanced" is best and that caloric reduction is best and that there is no such thing as a diet that will permanently undo years of overindulging (like me) in a short period of time.

7. The Eyes of Texas

In the long run I agree, but I'm just doing it short term, to get a kickstart on the weight loss. I probably will keep bread premanently out of the equation though....more for the calories than the carbs....the lasagna was good, btw.

8. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I happen to LOVE zucchini. I even put it in my many pasta sauces that I make. I think it would work well to cut the carbs out. I guess I have just never understood the low carb diets. I always take it as a total calories in, total calories out bottom line trying to be balanced in what I eat; carbs, fat, and protein.

I agree with this as well but you should eat more protein than carbs imo and if possible avoid rice, potatoes, and pasta. It's the pasta that makes lasagna so caloric. processed carbs turn to sugar and you want to avoid too much sugar, that is the key. i don't worry about the fat because i eat pretty healthy and some fat is good for you.

9. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

10. The Eyes of Texas