low hot water pressure

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by OrangeBlooded, Feb 1, 2012.

1. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

bath, sinks and shower in master bath all have low hot water pressure. any ideas on how to fix?

2. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Have you cleaned the screens on the faucets and flow restrictor on the shower? These eventually clog up with lime, sand, etc. Might not be the problem, but is a common problem.

3. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Is the low hot water pressure just upstairs or is it everywhere in the house? If it is everywhere in the house it is probably the hot water heater that has buildup and needs replacement.

4. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I think it is recommended to drain the hot water heater once a year, which most people don't do. Lime and scale fills up the bottom of the heater, and it gets partially full of that stuff. The bottom eventually rusts out and it starts leaking.
    You could try drining the heater, which involves attaching a garden hose to the faucet at the heater's base, and running it outside. A lot of crud may come out of it.
    Or it may just be time to replace the heater.
    Wait, is this just in one room? The hot water is good in the other rooms? Might not be the hot water heater.

5. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Calcium build up usually affects temperature (makes it a smaller tank and even obscures a lower element). It shouldn't affect pressure, just total volume. If you just aren't getting enought hot water, it's probably buildup and there is a place on the bottom to drain the **** out the bottom, but if you are already noticing it, it is probably too late. BTW, it's once a month for flushing out calcium. And yes, no one does it.

6. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

the hot water can run forever. it just has little pressure. and it's just in the master bath. the shower loses pressure as you add more "hot". same with the sinks. the bath is the worse as it would take an hour to fill. rest of the house is fine. we have two heaters.

7. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

Does one water heater service the master bath and another water heater services the rest of the house?

If so, that's critical information and points to the master bath water heater as the source of the problem. Probably limed up and in need of replacement, especially if it's 10+ years old.

As is often the case, having all the information is critical to solving the problem.

8. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

^^^ I am sure that you are correct: One water heater is for the Master Bathroom and another water heater is for the rest of the house. Perhaps draining the MB water heater would help, but it might be about time to replace that water heater anyway.

A 40-50Gal water heater should run about $250. Replacement is usually straightforward. It sounds like he is going to have to hire a plumber though. Probably a 1hr job for 2 people plus the cost to dispose of the old hot water heater.

9. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

I use a great plumber in Austin who also happens to be very honest and I trust his judgement. I asked him to give me a bid to replace a water heater, and he no-bid the job. He said the best way to get it replaced was through HD or Lowe's because they have volume contracts with local plumbing firms to do the work and they stand behind the job. He said he couldn't do it for anywhere near the same price. BTW, he previously worked for the firm that was contracted with HD and they were one of Austin's largest and most reputable plumbing contractors. I took his advice, called HD, and they did a great job. Two plumbers spent half a day on it since it's in a tough location. The extra I paid for installation would have been about an hour of a plumber's time.

10. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

check the valve on top of the water heater in question. It's possible that it isn't open all the way, and that minerals have clogged it. Try closing it and opening up all the way.

11. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

thanks for the feedback! lots of responses I didnt consider.