lower back pain

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by orangebones, Mar 1, 2007.

1. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

i'm 26, in moderately good shape, always bend my knees when i lift, and don't overdo it in the gym. i'm active...i run a couple miles 2-3 times a week; play in a flag football league, pickup bball games, snow/water ski, etc. i sleep on my stomach, and my sitting posture isn't great.

about 2 years ago, i noticed that at the very base of my back there's a little knot between two vertebrae. it was mildly sore when i was just sitting there, but it hurt like heck when i mashed on it.

that hasn't really changed...no better, no worse. what has gotten worse are the muscles in my lower back. they've gotten really tight and sore. i stretch regularly, and that helps for a while, but they coil right back up after i've sat down for 30 minutes. lately, i've my right hip flexor and hamstring have started to tighten up too, and it seems related to my back issues.

is this just common getting older sucktitude, or do i need to see a doctor? my deductible sucks, so i've been putting it off.

2. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

They say that backs can be tricky -

With what you descibed, minus the knot between the vertebrae (have no idea), you may have problems withe the region known as the Sacro-Illiac. This is the area concrened with the largest ligaments in the body. There are 1 pair of ligaments, on each side of the spine which connect your pelvis to the backbone.

So the 'referential' pain in the lower back, and a tight hammy (on one side), can be the result of theis Sacro-Illiac region.

A simple test to do, is to lye on your back, adn note the position of your heels. A). do they align? Or B) does it appear that one leg is shorter than the other? Do you tend to lean on one butt cheek while sitting after a period of time, or while driving?
    And have you ever had an injury that you would informally describe as a Butt injury?

If 'B', its a good possibility this maybe part of the problem. And if you can answer yes to the other questions, Phy. Therapists see this all the time.

I lived with it for about 10 years until I finally, and luckily, had a good diagnosis. With the exercises I have been given, its now as good as its going to get... And no more lower back pain!

... your symptoms sound notoriously familiar.

3. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

4. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

Yup

Some Phys. Therapists might call it a 'stuck pelvis' or a 'turned pelvis'.
    Taking the wallet out of the rt. hip pocket is what they would also recommend, (or demand) also.

Just think of the pelvis, as far a movement is concerned, as 2 sides - a Rt. and Lft. side. the range of motion in there is far less than say, the ball/socket joint of the hip... what we're talking about isn't a joint of that type anyway. I can almost guarantee that your heels aren't matching up because you are holding one side of your pelvis different that the other side, so that translates to what you see at the heels... don't let anyone tell you that you have one leg shorter that the other without getting thoroughly checked out. (although that might make sense, on the face of things).

There are other ways to diagnose this by the professionals, but I suspect it effects your gait when you run also, if a trained eye analyzed this.

I gotta tell ya to run, don't walk to a decent Phys. Therapist. You'll save some $ if they instruct you on proper exercises for home, and you DO THEM !!!

In my case, after 10 yrs. of neglect, here it is 4 yrs. after getting therapy... all gone. But I had numbness, & sciatia down to just above the knee on one side, temporary low back pain on getting out of bed (tummy sleeper- mine or on someones else's) just to put into perspective for ya.

[​IMG]

Oh, BTW, again, in my case, the pain pretty much went away after 1 week of P.T. - after that it's just a matter of re-training all the surrounding muscles on the bad side to get to normal, and stay tht way.

5. Super_Chachi

Super_Chachi Guest

Yes - get rid of that wallet. I don't carry one anymore. It's a money clip in my front pocket for me now. Also WATCH YOUR POSTURE. Some little bad habbits can lead to a life time of pain.

6. orangebones

orangebones 500+ Posts

yeah, i have a money clip now, but i still find myself sitting weird. how much does a consultation with a PT cost, and how long do you figure i'd need treatment? estoy pobre.

7. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

I believe your in Austin?

If so, if I can find his tele. number when I get home, I can hook you up.
    Or find a listing for:

Mark Lang - Ex UT linebacker, ex KC Chiefs LB.

Last I knew , he went freelance on P.T. / consultant / Training.

The guy is simply allsome!!! In my case, he helped with everything I've already posted. Rates are competitive or a little lower than than than larger P.T. establishments. I really don't know if he's still in town, but I bet so.

- 500 posts, here I come!!! -
    - Happy Independence Day -

8. crazyhornsfan

crazyhornsfan 25+ Posts

You can try out Laser Rehab, I've had a herniated L4/L5 disc for about a year and a half, and it helped out a bunch.

When I tore my ACL 4 years back, I needed to rehab that as well, and found that Bikram yoga worked great not just for the knee, but the whole body. Probably the best shape of my life.

9. horn wiz

horn wiz 25+ Posts

ob,

you have to have an Rx from a doctor to see a PT in texas.

the other guy i think is on the right track w/ the SI joint stuff, but it could also be a facet joint or (hopefully not) a disc from your lumbar spine.

the wallet suggestion is one i make to all of my patient's and would recommend the same.

if you elect to do PT i would be happy to recommend someone close to wherever you are located.

i see patients @ far west and mopac if that helps at all

send me a pm if you have any ?'s

10. CleverNickname

CleverNickname 500+ Posts