LSU game take aways

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by WorsterMan, Sep 8, 2019.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

HIC,

Ingram wasn't the only receiver in that pattern. Another was 7 yards deep in the endzone and also open. I thought Sam was throwing the ball to the larger receiver.

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Man, just saw Sam interviewed after the game by Alex Loeb. Asked him if he thought he had a good individual performance. Sam choked up and said no, not anytime they lose.

He seemed a bit off but gotta love this guy. The raw emotion in that interview. Allsome.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Agree^^^. Also, our young corners played their hearts out and they will get better. Plus, they will not play a better, more accurate passer this season.
    Our linebackers and D line are playing really well, and with each game will get better.
    Our play calling needs to include the tight end in goal line passing game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

All I will say is payback will be a bioch in BR. It will be Texas bringing back 8 starters on each side.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

How about shifting during the play - Ro to QB and Sam RB (wheel route)/Wide Out? Are they holding that for ou?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Another thing about Ingram’s dropped TD is that the play was otherwise executed perfectly, and it was an aggressive call that said we didn’t come here to kick field goals and play it safe. I think there’s a psychological edge to that attitude, especially early in the game. I like the call a lot in that moment.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Can you elaborate on the dental connection angle?

9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Let it go.

If you watch, the ball is right in his hands.
    He takes his eye off the ball to take a look at the defender coming over to hit him.
    That's why he drops it. Lack of concentration.

10. horninchicago

Eh, I'm joking.

The ball was clearly thrown behind him.

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. The OSU game will tell us a lot about what to expect from this mostly young secondary going forward.

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

On your no.5–if you don’t have a competent OL you can’t run your offense. See Charlie Strong era. I hear you on Minnesota. They also had Bronco Nagurski—a one man gang.

Our young redshirt Freshman mauler Jr. Angilau is today’s equivalent of those linemen with too many consonants, and too few vowels, in their last names from the past. I’d like to see more like him. Weak traditional West Coast powers (USC, UCLA) + a weak U of Hawaii + a relatively weak BYU leaves lots of such players ripe for the picking on the recruiting trail. Although U of Utah, Oregon, and the Washington schools are grabbing up all the Polynesian Power they can get.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It was a beautiful play design and call - you could tell they had practiced it.
    And everything went perfect, except that one thing

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

and high. Agreed it was awkward. And when Ingram looked up a player looked to be barreling at him while his arms were up and he was exposed. Still catchable

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

It's not like he had to reach behind him to catch it.
    He turned to face the QB and the ball was right in his hands at about the top of his helmet.
    I could've caught that.
    It was taking his eyes off the ball that caused him to drop it.
    Not a perfect pass but very catchable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. horninchicago

I'm not seeing anyone dispute that the ball was not catchable. I have said it was and probably should have been caught. But, it was not an accurate throw for being so wide open. Ingram was running to his left, looked over his left shoulder and then had to adjust his momentum and turn to his left. Should have been caught? Yes, but it wasn't Sam's best effort.

I'll say this, though. This is all setting up as vilifying Ingram for the drop. I'm sure he is beating himself up over it, but judging from Ehlinger's post game interview with Alex Loeb, I'm sure he would be the first to say it was not an accurate ball.

17. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I see a lot of people saying this and I don't understand it. Why should whether or not Ingram drops the first one determine whether we go for it the second time?

My thinking is this: If you succeed even 3/7ths of the time (which is 43%, and the average is more like 55% from there), then you are better going for it - and that's even before considering that at least when you fail, the other team is stuck at the 2 instead of the likely 25 (which both makes them less likely to score on their next drive and make you more likely to score on your next drive after that b/c if they punt or turn it over, it's from further back). So really you have a strong argument to go for it as long as you can make it about 40%, at least in the first 3 quarters before endgame point margins matter.

Obviously in any one specific game, you can always find situations where you should have done one or the other based on hindsight. Remember the NFC Title game where Seattle beat Green Bay despite the Packers picking off Russell Wilson 4 or 5 times? Everyone concentrated on the crazy onside kick and the crazy 2 point conversion, and quickly forgot that Green Bay kicked 2 FGs in the 1st quarter from the Seattle 1 yard line. If they go for it both times and get it even once, they probably win that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. horninchicago

I am not a statalyzer like you, but Texas had failed on 7/7 goal to go plays at that point. Seems like it is time to then kick a field goal, which I think is probably a higher probability positive outcome from that close vs another 4th and goal play from scrimmage.

20. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

You touch it, you should catch it. Same goes for CJ on the onside kick.

21. horninchicago

Again, I have stated multiple times he should have caught it. Shouldn't Ehlinger have placed it more accurately to a wide open receiver as well? I am trying to point out that the game didn't hinge on that play. Why couldn't we punch it in on the first 3 plays?

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He got it; the problem was he stepped out of bounds and was the first Texas player to touch the ball after coming back in bounds.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

My sense is that most of our fans (obviously not all of them, lol^) are actually encouraged by this game even though it was a home loss. I think most people realize that Tom Herman was basically starting from scratch given the mess left to him by Mack Brown/Charlie Strong/DeLoss Dodds/Steve Patterson.

Plus everyone remembers Mack Brown had never even won a single conference championship until his 22nd year as a Head Coach in 2005, right? And even that was not until his 8th season here. And I would argue Brown was left with more talent than Herman was. Texas had won 3 straight conference titles 1994-96 but then went 4-7 in 1997 which finally got Mackovic the boot. Tom Herman, however, was handed a team that had gone 8-5, 6-7, 5-7 and 5-7, which was just about the worst stretch in the history of Texas football (it certainly felt that way at the time).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The kick was perfect and we sent the right player after it. So close.
    How much fun would that have been?

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The offense played very well, putting up 38 against what is supposedly one of the nation’s top Ds. So I don’t want to nitpick too much. However, I noticed that Sam is frequently throwing behind Jake and not leading him enough. Jake’s a very fast dude. You have to lead him more than most WRs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

next time :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas would have scored in 2 or 3 plays.
    What chaps me was the fumble that someone decided it was only a dropped pass. I would say they were looking at different views than we see. But at DKR we see what they see. That was the takeaway that Texas needed to win the game.

28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Don’t you know. Was terrible with regard to outcome of game but still I feel for the kid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Someone was stressing this the other day I think it was Chicago but he heard you.

• Like Like x 2
  30. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

What goal line passing game ??? Herman doesn't use one apparently.