LSU

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Jan 14, 2019.

1. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Them dawgs can't hang with LSU.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you're in Southeast Texas, I'll bet you Floyd's red snapper on that if you play them.

:hookem2:

3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Effective ball control + frequent hurry up taxes the endurance and conditioning of the opposing DL.

WR: Johnson (big, fast, good hands, good in air body control), Duvernay (fast, exceptional hands), Eagles (big, good hands, good in air body control), Epps (very big, good hands, like a fast TE playing WR), Moore (fast), Pouncey (big, good hands), Smith (freakishly fast and quick, newcomer, Gatorade player of the year at all positions), Burt (really fast/track star, experienced, hands could use some work though...), other Freshman besides just Smith are likely to get some reps (Lewis, Washington -- both big WR who are showing well in practices).

OL: Hand's legacy apparently still lingers on at Auburn; good to know. UT's OL is significantly better than A&M's OL. I'd like to think we're on Bama's level for our OL, but realistically, we're not there yet. We're on the right trajectory with Hand though.

Above all, the "soft" tag that was put on our teams in the later part of Mack's tenure is wholly inapplicable to Herman's Longhorn teams. Herman's teams hit very hard and are not pushed around in the trenches, even by supposedly better lines (ask Georgia). Stupid mistakes are made from time-to-time, and we'll sometimes see some 'unorthodox' play calling (to be kind) or rather odd defensive alignments, but this team is definitely not soft. For me, that's the biggest contribution of Herman to this program (and he's already made quite a few contributions).

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

That's a tough row to hoe. Tigers play better over there for whatever reason. We shall see. Eight games to get through first.

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Herman's teams also tend to play up (or down) to the level of competition. For better or for worse...

6. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Is that anywhere near Fourchon?

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

No, Floyd is Don Landry's son. Lives in Houston SMSA and has several restaurants around area.

Please note that Mr Landry founded the restaurant chain long before Fertitta took it over. He owned it back when it was a great place to eat. His son's founded Don's.

How far are you from Washington on The Bayou?

8. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Besides those two starters and Moore any of those cats caught more passes than your QB last year?

Nobody that doesn't wear burnt orange has that high of an opinion on the horns Oline. Think the biggest thing about auburn Oline is they return all five starters.
    Almost forgot. I believe LSU has the better Oline returning between our two teams. Four returning starters plus four more with starting experience.

9. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Fourchon is at the end of Bayou Lafourche where it flows in the gulf. It's about 15 minutes up the road from Grand Isle. Do you have any idea where I'm talking about? It's about an hour's drive south of New Orleans.

So close to the gulf I brush my teeth with salt water.

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Burt has caught many passes (he's also dropped more than a few...). It's not only the experience, but the younger talent that is already pushing ahead of the older guys (like Burt, for instance) that counts.

So Auburn has a bunch of OL developed by Hand. Good to hear. I bet they're pretty solid. I'd definitely take UT's OL over LSU's. Something else to ponder: LSU's official site lists 2 OL over 350 lbs, 2 more OL over 340 lbs, and 2 more over 330 lbs, with 1 at 329 lbs (granted these #s might not be current...?). While that sort of athlete may be well suited to power run blocking, pass blocking could present a challenge. The athletes LSU has recruited don't match LSU's new scheme. Hence, I don't think many will be too surprised if LSU drops their new offense and reverts to some traditional smash mouth power football if necessary--which would work well against most of their opponents.

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I know where it is. Washington on the Bayou is a great restaurant off 190 between Eunice and Opelousas.

Where I met Percy Miller the first time when we were trying to do a deal. People don’t realize how smart he is. Unfortunately, he has had some major dumbasses working for him from time to time.

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I just checked it out on Google Earth. Fishing for speckled trout and redfish around Galveston and Port Aransas is a lot of fun. I'd imagine the spec and redfish fishing around Fourchon and Timbalier Bay must be incredible.

13. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

LSU played that same UGA team last year and beat them 36-16. Unless I missed your meaning...

Which is why it's sort of funny that every discussion here turns to what you guys did against UGA last year in the bowl game. Because LSU beat them a lot worse than you guys did...great game for both teams, but a lot of posters here act like the LSU - UGA game never happened. If it's a measuring stick game for Texas, shouldn't it also be one for LSU?

14. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

You don't even need a boat. The people I see fishin (mean catchin) alongside HWY 1 is crazy. Specks, reds flounder, drum and sheephead. Crabs too.

• Hot Hot x 2
  15. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Y’all did a great job at home getting turnovers. I think y’all got 4 turnovers to them getting zero.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I caught a mess of crabs over there one time, but it was at The Big Oaks in Vinton

:brickwall:

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

If Oline two deep heading into season is healthy, only starting guards right at 330. Other starters lower weight. Tigers did run some tempo last year. They even ran some four wide most every game.

18. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

Very true. Fromm only threw 6 INTs all year, and LSU nabbed 2 of them.

You guys grabbed another in the bowl. So in his other 12 games he only tossed 3 INTs.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

TMI

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Fromm had the highest passing % in the SEC. I think what we had in common is we put a ton of pressure on him to get rid of the ball before he was ready, which caused him to have mistakes.

• Like Like x 1
  21. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Winning the turnover battle is a BIG part of any game. All that proves is LSU "O" doesn't give it away much and their "D" takes it away a lot. That's a BIG positive for LSU.

Being you brought up the UGA game. This all happened in the first quarter of sugar bowl. UGA's first punt. The punter catches snap with knee on ground. UT ball at UGA 27. Second UGA punt. Punter shanks it out at the 50. Next UGA possession dawgs fumble at their own 12 yard line. The fumble was a good play by UT "D". Those other two were gifts compliments of UGA punter. Horns didn't have to work for either.

Even with all that and the horns totally dominating it was only 20-7 at half. Halftime stats were something like total "O" UT - 180 yards to UGA - 120 yards. Horns in total control, took air out of ball second half per many UT fans. They knew dawgs couldn't score enough to beat them.

Final score 28-21. How were you feeling when UGA scored their last TD. Bet you were glad there wasn't a minute left on the clock. Learned a long time ago. One score game and time on the clock anything is possible.

As for LSU/UGA. Dawgs best drive of first half. It's fourth and nine at LSU 15. Smart called fake FG. The kicker took an over the shoulder lateral from the holder. Tigers caused a fumble at LOS. Even if he wouldn't have fumbled it was LSU possession. Tigers then went on 85 yd TD drive. LSU actually scored on four consecutive first half possessions. Tigers up16-0 at the half. Total "O" LSU - 250 yds -- UGA 120 yds. Total domination by LSU. No gifts from UGA. Final score 36-16

Second half when it looked like dawgs would get something going tigers would answer.

On a side note. When the head coach has to remove starters from pregame practices that's not a good sign.

22. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Just so you know LSU returns all it's WR from last year. Five of them had at least twenty receptions. Three avg over 15 ypc. UT returns two WRs with at least 20 grabs, none with 15 ypc.

My bad we did lose one WR. He was a transfer from the Big XII. He was a 1,000 yd receiver in that conference. Couldn't get on the field at LSU. Sat out first year because of NCAA rules. No production in second season when he was eligible. Transfered again.

23. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

We were still a young team. We’d get big leads last season and then try to milk the clock. I was scared when we did it against OU in the cotton bowl in Dallas. But I never had a doubt against Georgia. They scored their last TD in trash time with 9 seconds on the clock. So outside of that 9 seconds we had a comfortable minimal 2 score lead after halftime the whole way. We are getting more experience and I’m hoping once we get a lead that we press even harder on the opponents neck. The Georgia game was much more lopsided than the score showed. We did win the turnover battle by only two. We were very fast so we were flying all over the place. But I think Georgia also under-estimate how physical we were and they even said so in the post game interviews.

Not even going to talk about Bevo setting the pace before the game even started.

24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

167, are your numbers from all games or just conference games?

25. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Not quite sure what post you are referencing but, my guess is all games.

26. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

That is what I suspected. You cannot really compare the numbers due to the relatively low quality of $EC opponents, and the lack of a 9th $EC conference game. Still good talking point numbers.

27. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

are you serious??? low quality of SEC opponents? well we do play UT this year. all the ninth conference game does is make sure you get kansas, texas tech and baylor every year.

last year texas was one win of only three conference wins for ok st. Two other conference teams that had only three conference wins played the horns to one score. Very impressive. Lowly KU with only one conference win did it too, one score.

OOC a seven point win VS the mighty tulsa golden hurricane. Not even going to mention the name of that team that beat you opening game of the last two seasons.

go on any site you can find that has a strength of schedule and compare SEC to Big XII. Between the final AP and Coaches poll last year SEC had SEVEN in final rankings to Big XII's TWO.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We've seen it repeatedly: Herman's teams tend to play to the level of competition (up or down). That may be good for KU and La Tech, but not so good for LSU and OU. There's also a mindset of getting overly conservative with a lead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

What's an honest assessment of Burrow's mobility and scrambling ability? True dual threat QBs give us fits. We're not the only defense in that category, as the true dual threat QB who is adept at both passing and running is hard to defend.

And not to throw a wet blanket on your loyal fan enthusiasm for LSU's passing attack, but from SI: "An LSU passing offense hasn't cracked the top 50 nationally in six years..."

LSU QB Burrow may be CFB's most interesting player

30. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas State, Toledo, Georgia State, Portland State, Georgia Southern, New Mexico State, UT Martin, Murray State, Eastern Michigan, Charleston Southern, Kent State, Northwestern State, Southeast Louisiana, Southeast Missouti, Chattanooga, Lamar, Townson, Northern Illinois, Western Kentucky, Appalachian State, Western Carolina, Samford, Abilene Christian, and ETSU say hello.

The point is the Big XII encourages a balanced non-conference schedule and the fact that the $EC plays one less conference game creates an imbalance in any comparison of total schedules. (Also no one outside the $EC believes the crap about " our conference is so strong that we deserve the right to play a couple of very weak opponents. ") A better comparison is aggy and Missouri. Both were basically after thoughts in the Big XII and are basically after thoughts in the $EC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1