LSU

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Jan 14, 2019.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Tom Herman coached teams are 13-2-1 (10 straight up wins) as underdogs against spread. 8-2-1 while at UT.
    His teams DO NOT get blown out and favorites struggle to win and almost never cover. TH coached teams have won outright by an average of 12.14 in 10 victories over favorites and lost by an average of 5 in 4 losses to favorites.
    Should be close regardless of who wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

I am sorry. I did not mean to confuse you. It was a bit tricky, was it not?

3. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

So I take it comic books are still considered literature down the bayou? Words are so difficult!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Yes, some concern, although you did answer your own question there. They threw 50+ passes. 340 yards on 54 attempts isn't actually that great, it's around the bottom third of the country.

Not that I'm all happy with our performance either. They mostly dinked and dunked and we seemed to figure they couldn't beat us by marching down the whole field in tiny chunks like that. Which we were mostly right about, but they still made decent gains too often b/c guys missed tackles or took poor angles. Rarely anything disastrous, but lots of little things that turned what should have been 3 yard gains into 7, mostly by CBs and LBs but the S position had some issues also. As I expected our young linebackers made lots of great plays and ballhawked well, but also made their share of the aforementioned errors.

QB pressures from the DL was probably my biggest question mark on defense along with the CBs. We have some good run stoppers but we really miss Omenihu's pass rush (and even Hager's). I actually felt we generated ok pressure but, again, they got the ball out really fast most of the time. Hard to say how that's going to translate into better opponents, but I suspect we'll have to bring pressure from the back 7 a fair amount. Seems like we did often line up in a 3-4 but rush 4, and just tried to vary it up as far as which LB was essentially playing the extra DE for that play.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I think LT Cosmi will mostly neutralize the pass rush from the left side against DE Lawrence or blitzing LB Chaisson (although Chaisson could win some of those matchups). When Chaisson rushes from the other side against Okafor, or even Kerstetter, we may have some issues. If Cosmi can't effectively block Chaisson, nobody can, not at UT or anywhere else.

We should see a lot of traps, pulls, and misdirections. Angilau or Braun on the pull vs. Chaisson--that's one heck of a matchup we'll probably get to see a number of times. We may even try to option Chaisson in various ways, and Herman's full bag of tricks will be opened.

I take all our LSU visitors' hype with a whole shaker full of salt and two dashes of gumbo file, but (based on watching some of his film) they're not exaggerating when pumping up Chaisson. Other than Chaisson, I haven't seen anyone on their roster that made me think "Oh crap, we've got to come up with something creative to deal with this guy." Our Offensive Staff will come up with something and we'll put plenty of points on the board.

Still UT by 7.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NOLATiger80

NOLATiger80 25+ Posts

In any future posts concerning another person’s perceived lack of linguistics you may want to make sure that you formed complete sentences. It’s just a suggestion so you don’t look dumb. I’m here to help.

7. RainH2burntO

Chaisson is obviously a great player. Has anyone on here pointed out the painful reality(for us) of how close he was to playing in Burnt Orange?
    He was ours until the morning of(actually late night prior), based on all reports.
    Gotta admit, wish we had him Saturday. BUT...TH knows how to scheme big games. He'll get a few...but doubt he goes off.
    Cant remember the last time we had an opponent who brought to town a player I lamented not signing as much as K'Lavon.
    Good get for big Ed.
    Hope it didn't cost too much!! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RainH2burntO

I want to follow up my last post with a little pumping of our own Joseph Ossai.
    Dude looks to me like a guy about to blow up on the scene.
    Reminds me of Jordan Hicks a bit.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

:rolleyes1::mj:

10. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I agree about Ossai. We need someone like him to take it to another level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Doesn't matter. He still got paid.

12. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Watching the tape...The LA Tech QB is pretty good. Good decisions, agile and hard to get a hit on. He may be the best QB in the state?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

HTownBevo rolls a grenade into the LSU tent.... :beertoast:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

Here's a couple of guys that can get to the QB
    Grant Delpit - 5 sacks
    Michael Divinity - 5 sacks
    Rashard Lawrence - 4 sacks
    Glen Logan - 4 sacks

That's a safety, LB and two DEs. Meaning they come from all positions and all angles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

La Tech played well. It was great opener for Texas. Plus, the two-deep roster was rotated quite often.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Dere ain't no way dem Longhorns can play de foosball like dem Hell S and U Fightin' Tigers, Cher.

Dey gonna jus' geaux home Saturday night feeling blessed to have been mauled by de Tigers.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. 167back

167back 100+ Posts

18. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Tiger 80, “or” is a coordinating conjunction and there are currently two schools of opinion on srarting sentences with them. I use conjunctions in that way sometimes myself. And, and is also one and I use it quite often. (That should scramble your brain a bit.)

The old English teacher with the gray bun may disagree, but many of the current educators accept the practice. Perhaps you need a refresher course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

Joe Fan, thanks for posting these nuggets and video clips. Some have been quite interesting.

• Like Like x 3
  21. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

@Chinstrap,

You understate the degree to which @NOLATiger80 is wrong. There are NOT two schools of opinion on the subject. All leading grammar experts disagree with @NOLATiger80's prohibition against starting a sentence with "or", or any other conjunction.

The misunderstanding about starting sentences with conjunctions arises from a teaching practice. Young kids tend to overuse "and" as a sentence starter, so many grade-school teachers prohibit the practice. For people who never learn to write above a grade-school level, the prohibition remains firmly etched in their poorly developed brains. But those of us who have progressed to writing at a high-school level (or beyond) know that it is perfectly acceptable to start sentences with any of the FANBOYS conjunctions (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so).

Here's a link to an article discussing the topic.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Orlando will throw the kitchen sink to get to your QB, so that's nothing we haven't seen plenty of before.

23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We're down to debating grammar like this is a committee drafting an update to the Chicago Manual of Style or something.

I wish it was Saturday already. Or perhaps I wish it was Friday.

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Debating with folks from a state where "Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints" and the false word "Geaux" are embraced by those with college educations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

That's got to be a corollary to Godwin's law: if an internet thread goes on long enough the posters will start jumping on grammatical errors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

You should try living in Hawaii...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

Line seems to be moving pretty strongly towards LSU since the opening weekend. LSU a 5 to 6 point favorite now depending on the site.

Sports Betting News and Vegas Odds

28. RainH2burntO

We put ALOT of old books in our kids hands...books written when we knew a bit more about what's what.
    I am always impressed and surprised at the grammatical make-up, rule adherence, punctuation, etc. and the variations even from what I was taught; and I believe I had a pretty good education. (You like that semicolon dont you!?)
    If you compare those books to what is taught now or many of the books being written, you see we have forgotten much of what we once "knew" about our language.

29. RainH2burntO

Could be unrelated betting, but the move seems to have come off the RB news out of Austin...quite a bit of injury questions for so early in a season really..beyond just RB, even. No excuses...just stating as it may relate to line moves last couple days. Could be people too easily impressed with LSUs new-look offense. ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  30. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

If you only added two more safeties to that list, you would have Texas.

I say we challenge our swamp kitty neighbors to the east to a spelling bee.

Sports betting, you should learn how it works.

It's all part of the "Look how we beat Georgia Southern" mindset of swamp kittens. For some reason you now think every game will be like Georgia Southern.

• Like Like x 1