LSU

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

So did Georgia.

2. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

You sure are putting a lot on that one game against Georgia.

Just for the record, LSU rushed for 100 more yards (and about 1.7 more ypc), passed for more yards, averaged more than a yard per play more than Texas overall, scored more points and allowed less points against UGA. If UGA is the standard we're judging these two offenses by, LSU has a lot more skins on the wall than Texas. Even though LSU has a Cro-Magnon offense compared to the Big 12.

I don't think it tells us much to look at any one single game to say how good a team will be the next year, not to mention neither of us is fielding the same team this year that beat UGA last year.

I would argue UGA had their two worst games of the year against LSU and Texas. So we both feel great about that game but honestly they don't tell us a whole lot about 2019.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

LSU should bring that kitty to the sidelines and meet Bevo before the game

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

LSU isn't close to the best offense Texas will face, but you are the best defense. Texas will face Oklahoma likely twice, TCU and Okie Lite, all of which will have far superior offenses to LSU. I'm not worried about your offense versus our defense.

This game is all about our offense who I believe will be one of the top 10 in the country next year, against your defense. Yes, I put a lot on a game that we both played. I could talk about how we dismantled TCU or USC but not relevant to this game. LSU and Georgia are built the same. Great Dbs and linebackers, a little weak on the dline. Their oline was much better than yours. Great runningbacks and good talent at Wr, but you have over hyped Qbs neither of which would start for the top teams in the Big 12.

5. LSUson

LSUson 25+ Posts

I wasn’t going to reply to this until I read the last sentence. Fromm is projected to be a first round draft pick, but wouldn’t start for several teams in the Big 12???? That’s also like comparing Texas to the Bears defense of the 80’s earlier in this thread! I needed a good laugh. Stop with the nonsense

6. Baseballgawd

Baseballgawd 25+ Posts

Dismantled TCU??? While Texas won that game they lost the total yardage war.....but then why do facts have anything to do with it? In addition, Shawn Robinson was EASILY the worst and most over rated QB TCU has seen in years. Anyone remember that guy named Garrett G??? Gary Patterson would have KILLED to have Joe Burrow LAST YEAR, this year JB will be much better. (BTW, once again, Ellinger threw for about 300 yards more than Burrow in a league that throws much more.) 4 turnovers was the difference against TCU with most being delivered by Robinson. The worst was when he threw an interception 20 yards up the field and missed a wide open Jalen Raegor at the goal line on a TD if scored, COMPLETELY changes the game. However, congrats are still in order for breaking a 4 game losing streak to TCU.

On to LSU, have you checked the sizes of the offensive lines??? Last depth chart I saw shows 2 linemen for Texas UNDER 300 lbs, LSU averages about 6’5 325 across the board with 2, 330 plus and 1 350 plus backup. Maybe thats why LSU rushed for 275 yards and Georgia rushed for 113, but notice I did not say Georgia offensive line was better, maybe it was the LSU RB’s who did not have John Emery as they will this year?

Good talent at WR??? Well I dont think Texas will see a secondary with 2 first round selections but maybe they will. If you want to consider Jefferson good, ok, but then again LSU has a 6’7” receiver that plays alot as well as a 6’7” TE.....but whatever.

7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Awwwwiiieeee!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. NorfolkVATiger

TCU will have a far superior offense? Is that the same TCU that failed to hit 20 points in 7 games last year? And only hit 30 points once against a P5 team?

Things like that make it hard to take seriously the rest of what you say. Tell me what I'm sleeping on in regards to TCU's offense, please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Baseballgawd

Baseballgawd 25+ Posts

TCU was slaughtered with injuries last year far worse than LSU believe it or not. They dont have QB settled but if you go back to 2013 season and then compare to 2014, IRT to offense, no one saw that coming. (That 2014 team was the one that beat the best SEC defense on an Ole Miss team that had beaten Alabama, something like 44-3 in Peach Bowl). Patterson has shown significant improvement the season after he has marginal to bad year. They have the QB LSU coveted in Justin Rogers who is very close to recovered from issues with his knee injury. However, I could be wrong but I think Joe Burrow, a coaches son, a very highly ranked an accomplished player in Ohio HS FB will have an amazing year compared to last year which was still very good given his short time to learn offense.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

you don't know us very well....we are all smart enough to know that WE ARE DOOMED!!! I find myself whimpering through most days and I couldn't figure out why....then, I read this and realize that it's the impending doom of playing the LSU TIGERS.....God, help us!!!

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Doomed is the word, but LSU should take note that Mond says he is the best QB in the $EC so your guy is 4th at best (Mond, Alabama QB, Fromm, and the all the rest). Also, the vaunted LSU defense imploded in the 2018 A&M game.

12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I don't care if the dude is projected to be a HOF, I've watched a few of his games, he is nothing more than a game manager. Any team that picks him in the first round is a moron. Lets also keep in mind some of the other crazy first round QBs that were picked. I won't count Manziel, Vince Young or any other Heisman winner.

Mark Sanchez, Cade McNown, Brady Quinn, Jim Druckenmiller, Heath Shuler, JaMarcus Russell, and my all time favorite. The Great Todd Maranovich. I could literally triple that list. So if you want to hang your hat on saying he is great based on a dumbass NFL talent scout, be my guest. I know what I see on the field.

No one compared the Texas defense to the Bears defense of the 80's so you should quit while you are behind.

13. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Big slow fat offensive linemen are no big deal. We face a few of those every year. I'll take the athletic offensive linemen that we are breeding here in Austin. Very few of our guys have a lot of body fat. Several of our players are putting up some crazy lifting numbers. We have a 700 lb squat club and a 600 lb squat club. Across the board our players are putting up some crazy numbers. So dont be impressed with a bunch of fat guys on your lines. We aren't.

And please stop with how impressed you are with your Dbs. We aren't. Texas can match your Dbs man for man, and we aren't starting a true freshmen. We did that last year and he graded out to be a 1st round talent. Expect more of the same from him in his sophmore year. Again, we aren't impressed with your dbs.

You guys might be walking into DKR, but your limping out.

Texas 30
    LSU 16

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. LSUson

LSUson 25+ Posts

Fromm threw for 30 TD’s, 2,749 yards, and only 6 ints. That is also considering Georgia loves to the run the football and Georgia runs a more pro-style offense. Look I’m not a Georgia fan. Just staying the obvious that I think he will be a good NFL qb.

• Like Like x 2
  15. NorfolkVATiger

Starting to enjoy your posts. Fun board.

• Like Like x 2
  16. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

WE have one of the funnest and best college football boards around. Usually it is respectful....usually, and we just have a lot of fun. The best posts have nothing to do with Football. Having owned a business in BR before and having been to a couple of games in Tiger Stadium. I know LSU has really good fans. Can't wait for this game, looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I'm just telling you that the measure of a great QB isn't some NFL talent scout saying he is going to be a first round draft pick. He is not an elite passing QB. Tua and Lawrence are amazing QB and worthy of first round consideration. Actually Lawrence is a generational talent on the level of Manning and Elway. I consider Ehlinger a very good QB who is a winner, now he might develop into a great QB, but for now his greatest asset is he is a great leader that doesn't turn the ball over.

I saw nothing from Fromm that made me think he is going to be anything more than a career NFL backup. And there is nothing wrong with that. Colt McCoy was an amazing college QB who had had a nice career as a backup. Fromm could not hold McCoy's jock. Nor do I think he is better than Ehlinger.

I think you don't like that we here don't put your SEC SEC SEC on a pedestal like others do. Frankly your league is overrated. Outside of Bama I don't see another school that scares me. You have great athletes, that isn't debateable, much better than are in the Big 12 or any other conference. But you have the worst coaches. Coach for Coach if I'd stack your coaches vs the Big 12 it'd go something like this. Saban on top, but the next 5 would be all Big 12 coaches. Herman, Riley, Campbell, Gundy, and Patterson. Matt Campbell is going to be the next great college football coach. That dude is doing miracles at ISU. Put that dude in a major University like USC and he would be killing everyone.

18. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Just spreading some knowledge, so you're welcome.

19. LSUson

LSUson 25+ Posts

SEC overrated??? We had two teams in the National Championship in 2011 and 2017!! Two teams!! When was the last time a Big 12 team even made it to the Championship??

20. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

See this is where the Emperor gets exposed.

You think because you see Bama going to championships and winning titles it means the SEC is great. I see Bama and I see everyone else. I see a very overrated Georgia team get exposed, I see a lot of very overrated sec teams get exposed. You guys are the only conference that gets to name where each of your teams goes in each bowl game. No other conference has that opportunity. Thus, you get to slot your teams in the bowls that gives them the best chance to win. This is why aggy never plays Big 12 teams in bowl games. Because the one time they did they got embarrassed by KSU and have not been in another game against a Big 12 opponent.

The second reason your overrated is that your conference plays an extra non-conference game and it's almost always against a lower tier school. The regular season is about eliminating teams to find the best, no other conference gets 2 teams in the playoffs because all the other conferences play that extra conference game which creates an elimination of dominate teams.

The third reason is all the shady crap you guys all do. It's not an even playing field when some schools are buying players. Such as embezzling from a charity to give thousands of dollars to a recruit's father. There is no honor in the SEC SEC SEC.

Even with all that crooked stuff, Texas is 2-0 under Herman in bowl games against the SEC SEC SEC. I'm looking forward to 3-0.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. LSUson

LSUson 25+ Posts

Just stop. Georgia had a down year last year. The year they played Bama in the championship they would have crushed Texas. Fact. A&M almost beat Clemson last year and I hate the faggies. LSU has played TCU and Texas Tech most recently and waxed them both. I know Texas and Oklahoma are the class of the Big 12, but it’s a huge drop off after that.

22. NorfolkVATiger

You've stated you think the difference in this game will be that Texas' offense will be much superior to LSU's. In fact Texas will have a top 10 offense this year.

You also think Texas' win over UGA in the bowl game says a lot.

How do you reconcile that LSU's offense had a far superior game against UGA last year, rushing for 100 more yards than Texas and throwing for more yards as well; plus scoring more points?

Seems like the things you are hanging your hat on aren't internally consistent.

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Well, yes, we were 7-6 then.

Possibly. This year at least. A few years ago Baylor and TCU were. It's the typical Name Recognition issue too as nobody else gets as much credit for being good even when they are good except for OU and Texas.

Both the Big 12 and Big 10 have more good coaches than the SEC, yes. The Big 12's problem for a while has been that it's got really good coaching at places like Kansas State and TCU that don't get credit and where you aren't going to pull in the talent that the Blue Bloods do.

Georgia being so good at running the football is part of why his efficiency is high but his yardage high. When they've been that good at running the ball (and haven't had bad receivers either) it makes the QB hard to judge. He clearly a very accurate passer most of the time. Can he make the best of a bad situation when everything is falling apart and the whole thing feels like its on his shoulders? We don't really know yet. Maybe he can, maybe he can't.

I guess you can make the case that Texas and Oklahoma are the top teams, and then that if the same school had both Fromm and Ehlinger, or both Fromm and Hurts, it's not a given that Fromm would start (although it's not a given that he wouldn't, either). Probably after 1 season one guy would transfer. It's a pretty misleading phrase. After all, Hurts "wouldn't start for the top team in the SEC" since he in fact didn't start at Bama once Tamatoa supplanted him.

Yeah, we didn't really dismantle anybody last year, except USC (and even then we were down 14-3 early in the 2nd quarter). It's like Tom Herman starts the season knowing exactly how many good and bad plays his team has, and then is allowed to distribute them all as he sees fit between his various games in order to try and just do enough to win each game by as a few points as possible.

We're green at RB, LB, and CB, that's really it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. LSUson

LSUson 25+ Posts

Oh I have no doubt you’ll be good. Catching Texas early in the season will benefit LSU because even though we are breaking in a new offense I’d rather face your defense before it gets a full steam ahead if you know what I mean. Both teams are well coached. It will definitely be a chess match.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

A&M almost beats a lot of teams.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  26. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

One thing I have never understood about the SEC SEC SEC hype: If the Conference is so "great", how has one team managed to dominate it so thoroughly for over 10 years? I don't understand.
    In a "tough" conference that doesn't happen. It looks to me like a fight to see who can be Alabama's top *****. A fight between two ******* can be quite nasty, but whenever you all aren't pulling each other's hair out out or scratching each other's eyes, and play someone outside of conference its not that impressive.

(yes I realize that OU has made the Big 12 their *****, but no one hypes the Big 12, justly. Any reasonable Texas fans know we have't carried our own weight for a while but that is starting to change)

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. LSUson

LSUson 25+ Posts

We played Bama competitively until the MNC in 2011. Since then we played scared against Bama for some reason. Two games we should have won except for fluke plays. And a 3rd that went to OT. Also for some damn reason Bama gets two weeks to prepare for us. Saban is a hell of a coach. We are hoping this year we will punch them in the mouth to win. Time will tell, but won’t hold my breath until I see it. If Tennessee ever got their act together the east would be tough again, but that remains to be seen. Georgia will be back again. They are recruiting real well. If you look at the current 2020 rankings it’s Clemson, Bama, LSU/Georgia in the top 4. I know Texas will finish strong so I don’t take their current ranking with a grain of salt.

28. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

You have great athletes, no one argues this, but TCU is some of the best coached guys in college football. If Patterson got the talent that LSU has he would easily challenge Clemson and Bama. Putting him in a school like USC or Ohio State is like releasing the Kracken.

Patterson isn't the best coach in the Big 12. Just my opinion but the best coach is up in Ames Iowa. Matt Campbell is going to be a star. That dude is working miracles at a school that gets maybe 2 to 4 4'star athletes, but generally he gets 2 and 3 star kids.

Only in talent, Oklahoma State and Iowa State coaches are incredible.

If you followed exactly what I said, they are. I said, that you have some huge weaknesses that Texas will exploit. 1, We are catching LSU in game 2 of installing a brand new offense. I doubt you will have more than 50% of the offense installed when you come to Austin. 2. Texas is hell on teams with pro style qbs. We don't lose to them too often. On the flip side, we struggle against athletic QBs. It's not about who was better against UGA, it's about matchups. Texas brings a lot of heat and for an offensive line learning a new offense that can cause a lot of trouble. Texas will stack the line with 5 to 6 guys and they never know where the heat will come from.

You want to know what the Texas win over UGA says.
    1. Texas dismantled their giant offensive line.
    2. Texas shut down their running game.
    3. Texas moved the ball pretty easily both in the air and on the ground.
    4. Texas sacked Fromm twice, but we were in his face all game long. He was running for his life.

Our linebackers are young. Our dline has a lot of game experience, they are a reload not a bunch of guys that have never played. Corners are also pretty experienced. Safeties are crazy good. Where we are green? Linebacker, at least in two of the 3 spots. But our backers are really talented so that will help.

Remove Bama from the SEC and look at the remaining teams. I don't see much to fear. Florida LSU and Georgia. All good, but again, not aw inspiring. Of course you can say the same for the Big 12 minus blOwU or ACC minus Clemson, and the Big 10 minus Ohio State. But that is my point. For a league that is so hyped beyond the one top dog, it's no better than most other leagues.

29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It’s because of 10 teams in the B12 vs 18 in the SEC. The center of gravity is often higher in the B12 than the SEC.

30. LSUson

LSUson 25+ Posts

Good thing Burrow isn’t a pro style qb. Loves to run the ball if nothing is available an he will excel in RPO’s