Lubbock Best City in Big XII

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, May 21, 2017.

1. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Well that's only because aggy moved to the SEC

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Less humidity and traffic and allergies than Austin. But it also smells like crap. Literally.

• Like Like x 1
  4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Lubbock is a city?? That is a mild surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I'm calling BS on that! That place is a crap hole.

• Like Like x 1
  6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

That is why it's called Lubbuttocks.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Whoever came up with that gem has never been there in January when a 40 mph north wind is blowing red dirt everywhere and it is 20 degrees. No need to ask how I know about that.

8. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Best at What?? Hell, I live less than an hour from there and could come up with a few responses (not many positive)

9. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Lubbock city proper may not be the best but don't you go talking bad about Idalou or Floydada.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

A "40 mph wind" is just a breeze in Lubbock; 25 mph is a lull

11. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's hilarious. A LAJ writer says his hometown is the best, hands-down. It's the only Big XII town that's "just the right size," and all his assessments seem to be around getting to and from the game - which is weird because he thinks K State is "accessible" - maybe he means AFTER the flight, long drive to the hotel, etc...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  13. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

The Pirate's guest weather forecast on channel 28 in Lubbuttock:

"I actually kind of look forward to hail."

"My favorite weather pattern happens to be when it rains mud.
    Dust comes through, rain on top of it, it rains mud."

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  14. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Fake news

• Like Like x 2
  15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

it's allsome!

16. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

People may think you're joking. I was once at a conference there and I heard my hotel window sound like someone was thumbing on my window over and over. It was actually raining mud balls. That's what happens when it rains and having a dust storm at the same time.

and it doesn't help being down wind from Hereford.

• Like Like x 2
  17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

It's an interesting conundrum. We would want to believe everything in Texas is great, but we have Lubbottucks and College Station. No one's perfect I guess.

• Like Like x 3
  18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yup. Texas is so big it has two a**holes.

• Like Like x 4
  19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

And two armpits (Port Neches and Freeport).

20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

So what does that make Waco?

• Like Like x 2
  21. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Garbage dump, perhaps?

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Snot rag

• Like Like x 2
  23. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I drove into Lubbock in the 70s having never been further that direction than Lampasas and started to shed a tear or two; it was flat, brown and run down looking. I got to the campus area and it was West Campus x2.

I was stuck there for three years and didn't want to leave when my time was up.

The smell of cattle is the smell of money to a rural fellow like me so that did not bother me.

The duststorms and the mudstorms Leach mentions were a novelty and kind of fun.

There is no traffic to speak of, the music scene there was and is pretty good and not nearly as ostentatious and over rated as Austin.

The people there are pretty good compared to say Dallas or Houston.

What is best is determined by what you are looking for, what you find and what you find that you don't like.

I used to love Austin but find it grotesque now---it is LA without the charm. Houston and Dallas and Ft Worth are all worth living in but I prefer SA among the big cities.

I've been to Ames, which was pretty nice, Stillwater, which is ok, Norman, which is pretty gnarly, have never been to the two Kansas towns or Morgantown. Waco has grown on me over the last fifty years but I started out hating the place.

A journalist who lives in Lubbock thinks it is great and writes to that effect. Bowl me over!!

It is not football season so I guess we amuse ourselves with such trifles.

• Like Like x 2
  24. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Sorry, I have been to Iraq and Lubbock. Doesn't even remotely look the same unless you are looking at the color of the ground as your only comparison.

Iraq was much nicer looking...:whiteflag::coolnana::thumbup:

• Like Like x 3
  25. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Like huis, I like the people of Lubbock. However the constant wind irritates me. I guess maybe I could get used to it. Also, no one has mentioned a weather event I find particularly memorable. I remember an august thunderstorm with enormous raindrops falling in my garden ... abandoned because of watering restrictions. Great plumes of dust would fly up when the water hit.

26. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

I can understand why Tommy Tubberville doesn't care for Lubbock. Neither would Liberace or Lady GaGa

• Like Like x 2
  27. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

THIS

My sources in Lubbuttocks tell me it rains mud. no joke.

28. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I never thought a thread about Lubbock could be so entertaining. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  29. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

You can't argue his points about Austin. I take the toll road around it these days. That's what you get when your city motto is "Keep Austin Weird".

I haven't been to most of the other cities; Lawrence, Manhattan, Stoolwater, etc. But, Ft Worth ain't that bad. Neither is Waco.

• Like Like x 1
  30. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

Tuberville called in unsolicited to a Lubbock radio talk show and offered his profuse apologies. Said he deserved to be ridiculed for his remarks.

Said the interview took place during a pro am and he had specifically been asked to try to be funny during his interview. Indicated his remarks were ill chosen and extolled the virtues of Lubbock at considerable length.

• Like Like x 1