Lubbock vs. B/CS

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by AlamoHeightsHorn, Oct 21, 2009.

1. AlamoHeightsHorn

AlamoHeightsHorn 100+ Posts

We employ some nice folks from Tech and a&m...they are ribbing each other quite a bit this week leading up to their game and it got me thinking. Seems the aggie comeback is Lubbock sucks, etc.

I think I'd prefer Lubbock to Bryan/College Station?

anyone else have thoughts on this topic?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

If i had to choose...

Lubbock, by a mile.

3. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

Definitely Lubbock. If nothing else, at least you are within a day's drive to decent skiing in New Mexico.

4. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

I'd only prefer CS since it is closer to Austin!!!

5. thadccab

thadccab 100+ Posts

i choose death first.

6. pjohnson

pjohnson 100+ Posts

That's one hell of a choice. I grew up in the Lubbock area, and went to Lubbock High, and even though it has been quite a few years I know what a crap hole that place is. I have been to B/CS one time so my knowledge is rather limited, but I feel fairly certain that living in the midst of a bunch of Aggies would be a nightmare.

Personally I think I would go with a third option, seppuku.

7. hard knock horn

hard knock horn 100+ Posts

Lubbock, hands down. At least you can take flight out of there. Plus the ladies are a lot easier on the eyes in west texas.

8. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

I think hard knock nailed this one. [​IMG]

9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

But in BCS it's much easier to get out of town and go someplace nicer and more fun. Navasota's only about 30 miles down the road.

10. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

lubbock is truly one of the worst places on earth. bcs is a little over an hours drive to houston or austin and some decent golf courses.

11. Bluepies

Bluepies Guest

Lubbock. Better town than College Station, and close to Palo Duro Canyon, if you're into outdoors stuff.

12. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

- Lubbock.

If the weather would cooperate, they could start the game - then wind kicks up to 30 MPH in 1st quarter.
    2nd qtr. - wind shift 180 degrees, w/ rain squalls.
    Half - duststorm begins, w/ resulting mudballs falling.
    Start of 3rd qtr. - hail.. 3/4 in.
    mid- 3rd qtr... snow begins.

Lots of fun! Gotta have something for Aggie to explain away their loss! (OTOH, htey could win, I guess).

Its due...

13. AusTex

AusTex < 25 Posts

B/CS is one armpit of Texas. Lubbock is the other.

14. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I travel in my job, so (unfortunately), I've spent some significant time in both places. To paraphrase a quote from Civil War days, if I owned both Lubbock and BCS, I'd live in Lubbock, and rent out BCS.

Lubbock's advantage? Like the man said, it's easy to get to Colorado and northern New Mexico, and generally speaking, the folks out in west Texas have been friendlier to me. Those in Bagdad on the Brazos are somewhere to the right of Adolph Hitler, and cliqueish to boot. Oh, and Lubbock does have some very nice looking ladies. BCS has sheep.

Thank goodness, I get to leave both places when I'm there, and don't have to live in either.

15. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

I live in Lubbock. The eye candy alone is enough to settle that battle.

16. Mr. Football

Mr. Football 100+ Posts

I lived in Lubbock for 2 years after UT and enjoyed it. It's like an island and as such has a lot more attractions than other towns of similar size. Add to that the large numbers of college students and all-around fun-loving atmosphere. They've got lots of great college bars and friendly, beautiful women. The school isn't as divided as UT politically or demographically, it's more like one big Greek community.

Lubbock gets knocked about the occasional dust storms that crop up in the Springtime, but overall the weather is really nice. Nicer than Houston and Austin IMO. There's no humidity. Lubbock is one of the few places in Texas that actually has 4 distinct seasons.

Other things...
    Skiing is about 4 hours away
    Palo Duro & Caprock Canyons
    Buffalo Springs Lake and Ransom Canyon offers some change of scenery from the otherwise flat topograpy. Lubbock sits right at the edge of the Caprock, off the Caprock, the geography is more rugged.
    The Women
    The friendly West Texas people
    Respectable Live Music scene (lots of good musicians have come from the Lubbock area).
    Those Lubbock sunsets were something else.

17. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

Did my law school stint in Lubbock. Expected to hate it. Grew to like it. Some decent bars, hot women and as Mr. Football, the weather is better. You don't appreciate low humidity until you leave Lubbock in July and land at Hobby.

18. lecturer

lecturer 250+ Posts

without a doubt, imo the most common misconception about lubbock is the weather. on the whole, it's absolutely great and far superior to any other place i've lived in texas.

in addition, if you haven't been to lubbock in a while, i think most folk would be surprised at the change that has taken place.

19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

20. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

Lubbock - I love camping and being within 10 hours of the rocky Mountains, a few hours from New Mexico and Palo Duro wins for me.

21. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

This question should start and end with a comparison of the quality of women in the two towns, which makes Lubbock the clear winner...

22. ImissWallyPryor

ImissWallyPryor 1,000+ Posts

Another vote for Lubbuttock.

i used to travel to Lubbock every couple months for business. The weather was pretty nice. However, the first few winters i traveled there, it snowed. Folks told me to stay in Dallas during the winter months.

The scenery is great, better even than most college towns. No real traffic problems. Sun sets late which allows for more evening golf. Airport is nice and easy to travel to and from.

The main downside is the chip on the shoulder of many Techsters. Gotta get over that, my friends.

23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

24. omahawk

omahawk 100+ Posts

i choose college station. easy choice.

25. Jason Atchley

Jason Atchley 250+ Posts

26. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

We lived in Hobbs a coupla years. Lubbock was greatness and just 100 miles away. Thank god for Lubbock.

I have never been happy to be in B/CS, in any absolute or relative sense. So what if Houston or Austin are close. Live in Houston or Austin, the question is about B/CS.

27. wewokahorn

wewokahorn 250+ Posts

28. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

Wewok
    Re Hobbs and Eunice... you'd think a few miles from the border, and a few tumbleweeds, would make no difference.

But, at least in Hobbs, locals would go to these ridiculous lengths to "New Mexicoize" the place, with various Santa Fe crap decorations and play pretend architecture. They'd get real offended if you impllied they were a west Texas county.

Love those license plates: New Mexico, USA. As if they were having to explain...

Lubbock was like an island of culture.

29. wewokahorn

wewokahorn 250+ Posts

30. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

A section of the New Mexico state travel magazine (the equivlent of our Texas Highways) has a section called "One of Our Fifty is Missing" wherein they demonstrate boneheads throughout the country that list New Mexico as a foreign country. In fact, the US Olympic Commitee hosted a conference for the IOC once at Colorado Springs and had a flag for each nation represented, including the NM flag. Unfortunately, there are tons of idiots that either think NM is part of Mexico or its own country. The license plates are that way for a reason - sadly.