Luxury Watches

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by CutTheCrackJack, Sep 14, 2006.

1. CutTheCrackJack

CutTheCrackJack 25+ Posts

I'm in the market for a nice, professional, long term watch. Does anyone have any websites or jewelry store recommendations?

I am looking for something in the 800-1200 dollar range, anyone have recommendations for something like that? This is a graduation gift that I get to pick out, so its a one time thing I dont want to screw around end up with a watch I hate or is too trendy 5 years from now, etc.

From my preliminary research, rolex, patek, oris, and omega are out of my price range, help!?!

2. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

Just go with a $100-$200 Swiss Army watch. Use the extra money for something fun.

3. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

If you are spending that kind of money then just go with a Timex.

4. CutTheCrackJack

are you saying thats not enough money to buy anything good? if so, how much does one need to spend for a quality, long term watch?

5. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Tag Heuer?

6. CutTheCrackJack

links or stores? im sure there is an army of hornfans/texas exes with nice watches. where did yall buy them?

7. Brak

Brak 500+ Posts

Gave up watches when I started carrying a cell phone and pager. Figured three timekeeping devices were too many. Now I just carry a cell phone and the clock never needs adjustment. So why don't you just get some nice diamond earrings instead?

8. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

personally, as someone who has had a very expensive watch, it's not really worth it. i had a panerai (around $6500). it was nice to have and occassionally people commented on it, but i just honestly didn't use it that much and i could easily have found much better things to spend the money on, like camera lenses.

9. huge

huge 250+ Posts

you should be able to get a tag for that price.
    The Link sells watches

a good watch will set you bak $3k+ more than likely.

and patek? come on.

10. SuperHero

SuperHero 500+ Posts

I had a drunken conversation with my cousin a few weeks ago about watches. He said I should get rid of my Seiko and get a Rolex, Omega, IWC or whatever - and spend at least two weeks pay on it. Coming from him (unemployed), it seemed really stupid, but his rationale is men don't have purses, jewelry and accessories, so might as well invest in a good watch.

That said, I'm happy with my $170 Seiko. It tells time accurately, doesn't lose/gain time like my old $800 Maurice Lacroix (gift from dad), doesn't break when I leave it in the dryer, and I'm not concerned about losing it. Spending $5000 on a watch is kinda ridiculous, but different priorities I suppose.

11. TxStHorn

TxStHorn 1,000+ Posts

I've got an Omega Speedmaster Automatic that I bought out of college for about $1200.

I still wear it daily, and like it a lot.

12. CutTheCrackJack

13. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

There are two very vocal minorities on HF ... one who can't for the life of them fathom why someone would spend more than $75 or so on a watch, and those that have 4 four-figure watches and wouldn't be caught dead in a Timex. The rest of us lie somewhere in between [​IMG].

I was given a Seiko Titanium by my then-fiancee, as my wedding gift. We'd been eyeing watches, and that one matched my jewelry well (wedding ring, college ring). I'd been a long-time fossil wearer, but liked the metal, heavier watches. I wanted something that I didn't have to adjust for 31/30/28 day months, and one that would keep accurate time. The Seiko I ended up with listed at about $450, and it's Kinetic bretheren list around $600. Obviously, there are nicer versions for slightly more. Without delving into the Omega/Tag/Rolex end of the world, I think I did fantastic. Didn't spend a boatload like I could have, and achieved all my goals. To boot, the watch LOOKS nice, and I know that I'll have it for a very long time.

Might be worth checking into. Everyone I know that picked up a Seiko Kinetic loves it. Not a scientific survey, but a good indicator of quality and price.

14. Luke Duke

Luke Duke 1,000+ Posts

Get a $75 Fossil and use the rest on a Golden Tee machine. [​IMG]

15. Horn9497

Horn9497 100+ Posts

Check out the Ebel Sportwave collection. There are a bunch of them--some get a little aggressive on color/design (orange dials, etc.) but there are some that are very simple and nice. I also like the band quite a bit. I got one when I graduated from college in 1994 and it has worked fine since then with a few trips in for cleaning, batteries, etc. I think it was around $800 back then and I don't think its changed much. Russell Korman appears to be the only place in Austin that sells them--if they don't have the one you want I'm sure they can order it. The ebel website is pretty good--a bit annoying with their music, etc. but good pictures of their options.

16. CutTheCrackJack

Thanks for the advice capnamerica and horn94. i too am looking for something that fits with my class ring and is simple, but nice.

I've noticed a lot of watch companies websites don't sell watches, but have retailers they recommend, which im sure sell at a premium. How do watch sites that have things at a bargain price do it? are they fake?

17. WooHorn

WooHorn 250+ Posts

I have a Concord that was about a grand and I love it. It was a gift, though and I don't know where she got it.

18. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

I bought my last one from prestigetime.com

Fast Shipping, authentic,, and no sales tax. I highly recommend.

19. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

Do it Flavor Flav style and get a big *** clock to wear around your neck.

20. rice97ut02

rice97ut02 25+ Posts

Jomashop is a great online site for watches.

21. dendox

dendox 250+ Posts

casadeoro.com I bought my wife and I matching Tags on our honeymoon. I got the automatic chrono and her a link series for less than the auto chrono is in the states. This was Jamaica btw.

they negotiate and I will use them again. I think I paid 2k for both out the door.

22. C-Man

C-Man 250+ Posts

I've got an Omega Seamaster Automatic that I got for an XMas gift four or five years ago from my folks that looks sharp. I wear it every day. I think my Automatic retails for $1,795 but I got it for $400 or $500 less through the Internet. I couldn't even begin to remember where, though, but it was through a power seller on eBay. The quartz version of my watch is around $1,300 retail but I could've gotten it for $800 back then. The automatic action is worth paying extra for. If you don't wear it (it automatically winds via the motions of your arm throughout the day), it'll lose time quickly. Still, the constant motion of an automatic watch is, to borrow a phrase from Ferris Bueller, "oh-so-choice."

And I'm with the guys above that say this is the one piece of "jewelry" that is acceptable for guys to wear. Once I become more able to do so, I plan to buy a couple of nice watches to wear and pass down to my kids/grandchildren one day.

23. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

I got a Lassalle as a gift. It's a high-end seiko.

I loved it till I lost it.

24. Vibro_King

Vibro_King 100+ Posts

Be careful getting an expensive watch if you're about to enter the job market. I had nice stuff like that and bosses seem jealous and would make comments. A lot folks out there really resent young grads who have nicer stuff than them. Just sayin. I hide that stuff becuase if they see that they'll think you don't need a raise.

25. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Back when I was in school, the Sheftall company gave credit like crazy to college kids and I bought a Concord for about a grand or so. I also bought a nice pair of Zeiss binoculars that way from McBrides. I still have them both 26 years later. Most days I wear my Casio Fish-n-Time watch that tells the times when the fish are supposedly biting based on the moon. The fish apparently don't wear this particular watch, but the canvas band does smell a little like fish. Or maybe it's toe jam.

26. Texas97

Texas97 500+ Posts

i have a Citizen EcoDrive. love it. it is very simple, stainless steel, silver face. works great. retails around $200. i paid less online.

to each his own but for my money, i love it. it looks very good and i don't need to cry my eyes out if i ever bust it on accident.

27. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

28. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

I have a Seiko Chronograph that Mrs. Macanudo gave me 5-6 years ago. Still runs like a champ. Same battery that came with it. That line runs between 300-450. As long as thing runs, I wont own another watch. It's titanium with a blue/silver face.

I've always wanted an Omega Speedmaster but I just don't see myself spending that kind of money on a watch.

29. pocketrocket

pocketrocket < 25 Posts

The ultimate high-end, and not for those just looking at what you are sporting, is Franck Muller.

If you don't know what it is...too bad, if you do, pick one up.
    Not about status, it is about taste.

30. austinmama

austinmama 25+ Posts