Luxury Watches

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by CutTheCrackJack, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Pepper Brooks

Pepper Brooks 250+ Posts

BTW- there are some nice automatic Orvis watches out there that are well within your price range.

2. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

I just wanted to pimp Ashford.com for your purchase. The service I received from them recently was outstanding. Got my wife her Citizen Eco Drive from there.

3. texasdoc_2002

texasdoc_2002 25+ Posts

Go for style, not name or price.

One of my doctor partners just spent $31K on a Patek. Frankly, I think it is ugly and an absurd waste of money.

His watch looks worse on his wrist than my $400 ESQ I bought from the mall looks on mine.

This guy already had a $26K Rolex.

We make the same money, so I know this guy is just plain crazy.

4. SouthernSooner

SouthernSooner 100+ Posts

Buy an Ironman Timex and put the rest of the money you had planned to spend in savings. You'll be very happy down the road. [​IMG]

I put a smiley at the end of the above statement but in truth, that is not far off of my feelings.

5. Gasman

Gasman 25+ Posts

First, check out The Link This is probably the best watch enthusiast website out there. There are a lot of helpful people on there that can direct you to a nice watch in your price range. They also have a sales section which has a huge variety of used watches for sale. Most are well taken care of timepieces that someone bought, got bored with and are now being sold to get something else. Many are in almost new condition. You will be surprised what is in your price range if you look around for a while.

6. lowery21

lowery21 250+ Posts

I've accumulated 5 watches. 3 Seikos a g-shock, and no **** my grandfathers gold watch. One for dress, two sport type watches(blue face and all silver), and the g-shock for flying. I don't wear my grandfathers watch. I would love a really really really nice watch. Can't afford them right now.

I love the seiko kinetic watches. They are great watches. I think I've had my oldest one for about 10 years.

7. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

I think ldogg clarified my original point quite nicely [​IMG].

No nice watches available for $1200? C'mon man ... that's just losing touch with reality! No lamboghini watches for 1.2k? Sure .. but there are plenty of nice watches for that ....

8. HORN_FAN_86

HORN_FAN_86 100+ Posts

I stuck with a Casio G-Shock for most of my army career. Never needed a nice watch. When I retired a couple years back and had to wear business attire instead of BDUs. That casio just did not go with a suit. The wife bought me a Tag H as a retirement gift. Not a fancy one, ran about $1400, but that was at the Marine Corps exchange in DC. Same watch at a nice jeweler is about $1600 to $2k. Well worth it however.

9. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

$300 roundtrip ticket to NYC.
    $50 cab rides to/from LGA.
    $4 hot dogs
    $15 Rolex on the street.

That's $369 for a rolex. Works for me.

10. BigWill

BigWill 2,500+ Posts

Or:

$ 400 flight to San Diego
    $ 50 cab rides to/from border.
    $5 tacos and corona
    $15 rolex

11. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

^
    ^
    ^
    not Rolex, Roledge

12. CutTheCrackJack

CutTheCrackJack 25+ Posts

I'm getting a Tag, around 1300, best value out there, is what I gathered.

Thanks for all the comments, criticisms, and insight HornFans

13. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Shoot... I just buy Fossil or Diesel watches... change 'em out based on what I want to wear that day. Fossil also makes watches for Michael Kors, Armani Exchange, DKNY, Adidas, etc.

14. khorn

khorn 100+ Posts

I have a stainless steel Cartier Santos. Very classy. Not showy. Always get compliments on it.

Never understand the super expensive watches. Justifying them with unusual, sophisticated movements that never have to be adjusted. I am okay adjusting my watch every two or three months.

15. ldogg53

ldogg53 500+ Posts

16. Clever Username

Clever Username 100+ Posts

Fine watches can also be a not-too-terrible investment if cared for properly.

17. Ted Striker

Ted Striker < 25 Posts

I am partial to Raymond Weil and Tag. Both are in that range.

Omega is not too far above those two brands.

Where do you live?

18. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

Idogg,
    I have a nice TAG watch my dad gave me when I graduated. Do you even send them to a jewler to get them cleaned/polished? The face is perfect but there are a few small scratches under my wrist from resting my wrist on tables and stuff.

19. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

20. capitan

capitan 25+ Posts

21. Haxxxter

Haxxxter 100+ Posts

For 1300-1400, get a Breitling. Great watch and very good value. Tag's are marginal. I had one and it was a good watch but they have gone up in price and I think you can get something better like the Breitling. FWIW, I wear a Rolex Day-Date in stainless with a silver face.

23. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

As great as automatics are it does become a pain when you own several and wear one for a few days. I was always too lazy to get an autowinder so I was always having to reset my watch every few days.

24. huge

huge 250+ Posts

yep, i just started wearing a second watch and i have to do this.

25. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

I presently have a TAG Heuer that I received as a gift 12 years ago and it still runs like new. I get it serviced about every 4 years. Unfortunately, its a sports watch and because I'm wearing more suits these days, I feel like I need to get a dressier watch. I'm looking for something simple and elegant. I've been looking for vintage Longines watches on Ebay but you never know what your going to get.

I would really like to have this but a little out of my price range. Anyone have experience with Bell & Ross? I see them in catalogs all the time but have never known anyone to have one or see them in the store.
    [​IMG]

26. BoogityBoy

BoogityBoy 250+ Posts

A new one for my wish list....

[​IMG]

The Vacheron Overseas Chrono