M.J. McFarland - 2011 TE Commit

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by HousHorn09, Aug 30, 2010.

1. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

I hadn't seen this posted yet. The Link

Horrible throw, awesome catch. This kid looks TALL!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

He is a beast out there.

[​IMG]

3. 93ex

93ex 100+ Posts

Damn! That was a nice catch.

4. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Holy crap!

ASJ who?

5. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

The Link
    For those needing a recap:
    * 6'5" Height
    * 235 lbs Weight
    * El Paso, TX Hometown
    * El Dorado High School

His video: The Link Nice spin move at the 2 min mark.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. TNLonghorn

TNLonghorn 500+ Posts

Yes, please! [​IMG]

7. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

8. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Rivals has his 40 time listed as 5.37. Surely that can't be right.

9. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Third Coast I noticed his rivals 40 time too a while back. I checked Dave Campbells just for the heck of it today and they list his 40 at 4.8. i'd bet a lot closer to 4.8. Still not blazing but ackkkk could you imagine having a feature tight end that runs 5.37! [​IMG]

10. TigerPride

TigerPride 1,000+ Posts

11. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

He didn't look the least bit fast in that clip, but one doesn't need to be a burner to be an excellent tight end.

At least, that's what Jason Witten tells me.

12. Third Coast

The 4.8 kbrown posted makes more sense. I think most linemen do better than a 5.37. Even Albert Haynesworth might if he could make it 40 yards.

13. BUHokie

BUHokie < 25 Posts

40 times can very widely depending on what you are running on, weather, how it is timed, etc. Most 40 times that get your attention usually aren't what you would really expect someone to do on a football field.

As for this 5.37, Rivals had a lot of people timed at that camp and ALL are slow. I don't know what they ran on, or how they were timed, or anything, all I know is that everyone was surprisingly slow, with many over 5 seconds.

I wouldn't worry about his time. It does show how wide a range 40 times can produce and how now all 4.8 seconds are equal.

14. txhorn2010

txhorn2010 250+ Posts

I really think this kid is going to be a good one. I could see him making an impact as a freshman

15. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

16. Third Coast

aint that the truth.

17. Sugarpunk

Sugarpunk 500+ Posts

The kid looked awesome in the clips. Does a great job catching the ball with his hands and not letting get into his body and handcuff him. He made quite a few contested catches and also showed good instincts, wiggle and balance running after the catch. You don't have to be a burner when you're that much bigger than the dudes in the secondary that are defending you. That said, he looked like he had more than enough speed to get the job done down the seams. He's going to absolutely wreck **** on the 40 with Gilbert throwing the ball to him. I see him performing along the lines of that huge aggy TE Dan Campbell some years back who was an absolutely fantastic player for them and then went on to a solid stint in the NFL.

Also, I am so, so pleased to see the peanut gallery chiming in. Stop drinking that haterade.

18. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Don't bet the farm on listed 40 times. I notice a safety made the Cowboys with 4.7 combine time. Seems slow for a safety, but Church doesn't look slow playing football.

19. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

maybe he ran it at 10,000 feet altitude