Mack and 'The Boosters'

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HORN60, Oct 17, 2012.

1. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

Mack happily related that the boosters all have given him support and oks.

But I wondered why he left me (and many, many like me) out of that group, and why he refuses to listen to/read our feelings and reactions.

This doesn’t rate?: this is my 53rd year following Longhorn football. In one way or another, I have not missed a game in all that time. I have never – never left a game before it was over. I have spent a small fortune in that time on the Foundation, tickets, and travel – and a greater fortune in my love and support of Texas football. But … none of that rates with Mack.

I can forgive (but not forget) his technical coaching inadequacies, and I have admired his personal qualities, but it’s beyond me why he would exercise an arrogance of sorts which dismisses my feelings now, and that of so many others like me.

All the wealthy boosters in our orange-tinted world cannot fill up the stadium or drive the sacred tv ratings.

2. Mobyhorn

Mobyhorn 250+ Posts

Don't be surprised that one of the first "fixes" is to bring Dick Tomey back as defensive consultant...possible in the next two weeks. Don't be surprised if Manny Diaz is back in the SEC next year. Possibly, don't be surprised if Gene Chizik comes back.

Mack already has used this before--especially with Tomey. Mack, if anything, has developed a pattern of five year cycles. Unless the situation continues to get much worse--which it could--Mack will be back next year. Only a losing season and no bowl this year might change things.
    Don't be surprised if Dodds goes, too, if that happens.

3. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

4. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

5. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

Taps,

Interesting, though, that he chooses to openly brandish the support of the 'the boosters' while completing failing to acknowledge what your analysis of his 'brain' thinks or knows about our complaints.

6. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

The only one that wouldn't surprise me would be Tomey. Diaz back to the SEC? Who? Hasn't he been exposed or are their offenses really that crappy that he would look like a hot commodity again?
    I wouldn't be surprised but dead from shock if Dodds is gone regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

7. It Hurts

It Hurts 100+ Posts

Everyone knows that when the people that hire you say you have nothing to worry about, you better start worring. If they are complaining it means they want you to fix it, if they are silent it means you are out the door.

8. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

In reply to:

9. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

No one out here in cyberspace knows exactly when and under what conditions MB might leave, but I am sure that his leaving will have no effect on DD leaving. IMHO, DD is a made man as the UT AD - he will leave when he is ready to leave.

10. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Reminds me of Kevin Bacon last scene on Animal House. "Remain calm all is well".

11. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

12. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

Taps,

You know, I imagine that if I posted the Gettysburg Address, you'd find a way to nitpick it.

And so, in your nitpicking (and I have read the stupid transcript – which in no substantive way supports your post or diminishes my point, which is:

Mack ... refuses to listen to/read our feelings and reactions. And, more than seemingly in the process, he flat out states that it appears the consensus support of the 'the boosters' outweighs our evaluations in his estimation.

This has happened much more than once. The weight of Mack's denials and the weight of the vast fanbase's
    anger overtakes your petty word play.

13. HORN60

HORN60 100+ Posts

Taps,

Another thought … you know what – separate from this, I’ll give you my name and phone number, and you get on the phone and call Belmont and tell them I want to talk to Mack about the situation and let me know what they tell you.

Then call them and tell them you're Red McCombs or Joe Jamail and you’ve got something to say.

My overriding point is that, personally, pointedly, in distinct words and distinct emotion, Mack will not be a party to what I and many like me have to say to him.

You can argue perhaps who among the vast, throng then gets to talk to him as opposed to the wealthy, influential few. And I would argue back that my contribution to the program for 53 years qualifies for an audience.

You want to bet on that audience taking place?

14. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Tomey and Chizek coming back won't help at at. The problem is at the top, not just below the top. Where did those 2 ideas come from anyway? How old is Tomey andwhy would we want Gene back anyway?

15. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The only past defensive guy I'd want back would be Greg Robinson.

17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

18. Branyon

Branyon 500+ Posts

Greg Robinson without Tomey would not have had nearly the same effect. Tomey in his 70's is tougher than Mack Brown was at 21. I would be surprised if Tomey would return to clean up the same mess.

19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

20. Burnt Orange Bevo

Burnt Orange Bevo 1,000+ Posts

There are two aspects to financial support of Texas football...

(1) A relatively small group of donors having huge amounts of money, and
    (2) A huge group of fans, most with "middle class" amounts of money.

The first group enjoys the box office suites, the privileges of access to Mack and DeLoss, et al. The second group buys a lot of licensed Longhorn apparel, fills stadium seats (while donating a few grand each year to the Longhorn Foundation), and provides eyeballs that drives TV ratings that in turn results in ever increasing TV rights payouts to the athletic department.

Mack says he has the support of the first group, which I accept at face value for now. But it's also clear that the second group is in the process of throwing in the towel. The impact of group two will be felt if and only when season ticket sales drop. Until that happens, expect Mack to refer to us minions as a small minority of negative fans that aren't being loyal or supportive of a bunch of good kids who are doing their best to succeed on the field and in life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We love you, Mack. Thanks for the memories and goodbye.

[​IMG]

21. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

22. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

23. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

24. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

25. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

"What the hell are YOU going to tell him that will help us win the remaining games this year and all of next? "

How bout lets start with blocking and tackling?

26. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

27. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

28. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I have to admit that with the vitriol on this board I have stepped away a bit, that said Texas Taps is being the voice of reason here and he isnt alone.

Mack is two years removed from getting Texas to the NC game he has the only 3 12 plus win seasons in the history of Texas football and is second only to DKR in the pantheon of Longhorn football coaches. He has made some mistakes this year but he doesnt deserve the type and style of childish comments that some have chosen. Too many of our fans are aggy like in how they choose to voice their anger and that is unhealthy.

29. scottyhorn

scottyhorn 250+ Posts

FWHorn I agree with your points you made, but you have to remember Mack Brown is one of the highest paid coaches in America. With that being said you expect results not *** whipping like OU gave us on Saturday and our team quitting after the first quarter. We have not had a good competitive team since 2009.

30. agssuk

agssuk 1,000+ Posts

We all understand that FWHORN, but he also has some of the most lopsided ou blowout losses in history. You have to admit, that the level of talent that he accumulates every year should produce better results than we have been seeing. I cant remember a time that MB has outcoached anyone. He has out-talented a bunch of people. How many other coaches around the country would love to have the talent and advantages that he has? Sure, you're gonna miss on some recruits, but this is mind-boggling. I believe he has run his course. Cut him loose and lets move on. That time comes for everyone.