Mack Brown "strong interest" in becoming AD at Texas (edit - or ASU head coach)

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Per OB

Supposedly, Mack has already "reached out with interest."
    The other name noted is TCU AD Chris Del Conte who worked with Tom Herman at Rice.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Mack would probably be very good at the job. His glad-handing and cat-herding skills are off the charts.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

That OB article also said Fenves doesn't think Mack has the experience necessary for the job.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Mack can hire assistants in the weaker areas (my guess would be accounting, finance, and legal).

• Like Like x 1
  5. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Mack Brown has my vote!

:thumbup:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I do not know if we should hire Mack or not. I think we may need a fresh perspective on our program and should probably get soneone new. That said, I laughed at this. What does Fenves know about anything? He is terrible at his job and should go away himself.

• Like Like x 3
  7. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

And Perrin's experience as AD was what?

• Like Like x 6
  8. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Do not support Mack as AD and here's why :

When it comes to politicking, glad handing, and brown nosing, Mack may have no peer. Certainly that's part of the AD job but so is fielding competitive sports programs and that's where my concerns begin.

For starters, he's already shown that friendships and loyalty are worth more to him than wins, losses, or even being competitive. Greg Davis and other hanger-on-ers lingered well past their shelf life and it makes you wonder how quick Mack would be to cut loose an under-performing head coach whom he also liked personally. As long as the money rolled in and everyone liked everyone, results on the field would be 2nd to this.... Mack Brown / DeLoss Dodds redux, in short.

Next, I'd be concerned on how hiring for new positions went. Yes, I realize it's not all him but he'll have a ton of say. Mack Brown needed Greg Robinson to tell him that Manny _iaz didn't know what he was doing. Mack Brown hired Manny _iaz because, "It's a name everyone was talking about". Mack's the kind of guy who'd buy wines based solely on ratings because he doesn't know what the **** he's looking at. He told the fans, "We're about to be really good again..", and 4 years later we still aren't. He doesn't know what he's looking at... and that concerns me when you're hiring folks. A lot.

TLDR version :

We'd get the same thing with Mack as AD that we got with him as HC. We'd get that 'family' atmosphere that had Harsin and Muschamp looking for the first train out of town. We'd get a soft and entitled country club attitude, money over results, friendships over results, lowered expectations (half the teams in the country lost yesterday, and all that gutless crap), and maybe even a sideline intervention or two with an aggressive reporter? "Here, let me answer that question for Tom...."

We need something new. We need toughness, passion, and winning. Wev'e already seen Mack Brown and he's not what we need today.

• Like Like x 1
  9. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Couldn’t Perrin do all that, wasn’t he Patterson’s 2nd in control

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Fenves knows everything, just ask him. Besides, he has already hand picked Plonsky for the job.

I never thought I would back Mack for anything in Austin, but then I never expected the Powers-Patterson-Fenves fiasco. Mack is a snake oil salesman and to quote a high ranking University official, "the most hard headed son of a ***** you'll ever meet". Those are two qualities that The University and the Big XII need to become relevant again.

We had Deloss, and it was the "Deloss Dodds Conference". Look at the results of things which occurred when Deloss had to relinquish control. You need look no farther than the colossal fuckup by NeinASS on the FSU/Clemson situation. If we do not get that leadership strength back, prepare for decades of mediocrity due to our incompetent administration.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We could get the Mack Brown CurseTM working for us again.

mack.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

If Fenves does NOT believe someone is qualified, then that tells me the candidate should certainly be in the top two or three considered for a position.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I would take MB as AD in 3 seconds if it would keep Plonsky from getting the gig.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

How is Plonsky still around?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

I hope they hire him so I don't have to listen to him as an espn analyst anymore saying things like " well, you know Danny, when you throw an interception, you turn the ball over".

16. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Success? A national championship?

I do not even know that I want Mack for AD, but I am lost on how Texas fans seem to pretend 1998-2009 was not one of the most successful eras in school history. Hell, a lot of fans still hate Mack more than Charlie even though 2010-13 was still better than 2014-17. It is absurd. He was extremely successful football coach and one of two men to win a national champship here. If winning at Texas was so easy, why has no one matched DKR or Mack Brown’s success? Our fanbase makes no sense.

Anyway, I think Mack’s overall football success, managing and elevating our program for over 10 years, was pretty damn good and his best selling point. However, I think college atheletics is changing and we need someone more forward looking... who is not money hound like Steve Patterson. Of course maybe Mack would not be bad for 5 years to undo Steve Patterson’s nonsense and try to win the fans back. UT may need a fan oriented AD more than anything else right now.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As a supporter and contributor of nearly 50 years, it is my opinion that we MUST have someone strong enough with the big money to block all interference from the cretin educrats that have nearly destroyed the program. The athletic department, which is financially independent of The University, has few choices of people fitting that description. Mack Brown may be the only choice.

• Like Like x 3
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If you are not being sarcastic, congratulations on not knowing

19. UTLAWMBA1991

UTLAWMBA1991 25+ Posts

Mack would be great for the job, an excellent fit. Alums love him--he would keep the money flowing. He definitely has my vote (not that my vote actually counts)!

• Like Like x 3
  20. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Amen. Mack had a run at this school that is unprecedented, Statistically 2000-2009 was the most successful decade in the history of Texas football with a 110-19 record that included nine straight ten plus win seasons, a national Championship, 4 BCS bowl appearances, five top five finishes in the final poll and another NC game appearance. Yes his last four years were rough but the short term memory of our fan base is staggering.

I dont know if I want Mack as AD but I would take him over Plonsky without a moments hesitation and would have no issue if he was chosen.

• Like Like x 3
  21. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

No one is pretending 1998-2009 was not a successful era although I'd adjust the years listed slightly. I was here. I saw the same games you and everyone else did. No one said winning at Texas (or anywhere else for that matter) was easy. Also, you might find it interesting to know there was a time I wanted Mack as AD. I'm not going to get into what changed my mind or address your statement that the fanbase makes no sense. I could, but that's not for this thread.

I saw how Mack went out and I'm concerned if he was the AD we'd see a lot of th same themes pop up.. not all of them were good. I think we need fresh blood but that's just me. One guy with an opinion :hookem:

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Luck should have been the choice when Patterson was hired, but that ship has sailed - thank you Bill Powers.

Now it is a mess, but take what Sabre says as a fact. Mack brought all sides together once so he can do it again. Give him 5 years, and then have him bring in the best young one in for a long term solution.

• Like Like x 3
  23. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Another MNC? I'm good with that.

24. 806 Horn

806 Horn 25+ Posts

I don’t like this idea

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I don't like the idea either, but it is the only choice, Mack is the only one that can muster the political & financial clout to stem the tide and right the ship.

Oliver Luck could do it, but Mack is about two years ahead on political clout, not the mention Luck would never work for someone with 20% his smarts.

Take a look around the country and find ONE AD who is worth a damn. There isn't one except for a couple who are fronts for BMDs calling the shots. Exactly how much stroke did Mal-fee-cent$ Moore have in Tuscaloosa? He was the last one to know Saban was hired.

26. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

I wonder how well it would work with Mack at AD. Didn't DKR sort of clash with the regents when it came time to step down and choose a successor? I'll "hang up and listen", but at times I think it would divide the fanbase.....some would want him more involved, others would ask he kept a step back (Jerry Jones vs Robert Kraft?)

27. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I would rather have Mack Brown replace Fenves, but all for him being AD.

• Like Like x 2
  28. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Heckuva post. I don't disagree with any of it... even the last sentence, as much as I don't want to admit it. I don't disagree with you and Sabre that Mack's the one who can put all the BB's back in the box... I know he can. **** it, if Mack's the best option it is what it is then.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Doesnt look like its the worst job in the world

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Is that a direct quote from Bill Powers?

• Like Like x 2