Mack here for at least 4-5 more years?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Full Flask, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Full Flask

Full Flask 250+ Posts

2. longtex

longtex Guest

Staying AS HC? Or just "staying'?

3. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

after the way this season ended, i cant see mack brown retiring in the forseeable future.

he wants another title.

4. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

^^^
    You don't see us winning another title "in the forseeable future"? [​IMG]

5. PropositionJoe

valid point. like mack brown said, you guys have a house in the national championship neighborhood.

i dont think it will happen next year, but i think you'll be right up there the year after that.

so maybe it will happen pretty quickly...winning a NC is just as much luck as it is skill.

6. J D the Obscure

J D the Obscure 250+ Posts

They are all so good, may they all turn pro after 3 years. [​IMG]

7. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I think we have a shot to go undefeated next year. Our defense is going to be really good. I'm really high on GG. Its great that we are playing some patsy teams early next year although UCLA will be a good test early. The Tech game doesnt scare me as much next year. Nebraska is going to be a huge game next year but I think it is to our advantage if we can put in a run oriented offense next year. It's going to be a fun year. If we have a bad year and only win 10 games (its funny but I like saying it), then that is ok too. I'm going to guarantee a title in 2012 if GG stays. We also have shots the next 2 years.

8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

9. cnstoll58

cnstoll58 100+ Posts

Please don't trick me into reading any more Kirk Bohls columns [​IMG]

10. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Looking at what we have returning and the last two recruiting classes plus the way the schedule pans out 2011 and 2012 should be prime NC possibilities. Next year will be tough breaking in basically a new QB and road games in Lubbock, Lincoln, Manhattan plus the RRS. I think 10 wins next year in the regular season would be a good year.

11. PropositionJoe

the only thing that would concern me about next year is the offense. davis is going to go through his "hmmmm....how do i use this guy" phase with GG, and i think the lack of a true run game, and losing shipley will hurt.

then again, opposing fans say that every single year about you guys and you end up fine.

next year strikes me as one of those 10 wins and holiday bowl/at large BCS bowl kind of years for you guys.

must be nice.

12. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

13. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

next year should be a 10 win year, but it probably won't, more likely 11-2 or 11-3

14. borna_horn

borna_horn 1,000+ Posts

15. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

16. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

And don't forget LSU's luck at getting to play and win the BCS NC after two losses.

17. CrazyFoo'

CrazyFoo' 250+ Posts

My theory.

Mack will be HC next year because it’s a rebuilding year. He doesn’t expect we can win more than 9-10 games (even with him), so he doesn’t want to put that pressure on Muschamp. He leaves after the 2010 season. Expectations will be lower for Muschamp, and the players will have another year under their belts. I would also guess when the Muschamp era is a year away, we’ll see Boom take on more of a co-HC role. Mack will forever be associated with Texas sports.

18. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

Crazy Foo',

You need to take a remedial reading course.

Mack committed to the recruits that he will be around while they are here.

The key to Mack staying around (as head coach) is keeping DeLoss in his current job. Think about it . . .

19. tholly

tholly 1,000+ Posts

Tenn in 98? had 2 games (Syr & Ark) where it's over, they've lost, it's out of their control, and poof the other team gives it back to them. As for LSU, they lose at home in the final game and still get in. There is plenty of luck involved even with the 2 Florida championships as well. Several teams all with same record, popularity poll puts Florida in twice (and they won) but could've just as easily put Mich(06) or Tx-USC(08). Even 03 LSU could've (and most everyone believes should've) played #1 USC but for the foolish manner we select in years where clearly only 2 teams have superior records and everyone else is nice enough to lose at least once more than those

20. longtex

longtex Guest

21. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I think there will be a transition that will become clearer to us "fans" over the next year or two. One thing that many think will happen is that Mack will move up to AD as Dodds retires. If that happens ten Mack will be remaining here so his words are true. During this process I think there will be an escalation of Muschamp's duties and there may even be a year where him and Mack are basically co-head coaches and Muschamp may be getting a giant raise too over the next 2 years to go along with his new responsibilities as well as to help keep him here until his succession is complete.

22. Tecolote

Tecolote 100+ Posts

We all knew he would be here- it might just be with a new title.

23. horn section

horn section 100+ Posts

but I agree with HCIW Boom about not liking some of the things we do on offense, and I'd like to see some of his attitude rub off on Mack and Greg, real soon now
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

has muschamp said that he doesn't like some of the things tat we do on offense? if so what did he say he didn't like or would change?

24. longtex

longtex Guest

25. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

re: "I want to see torn jocks and snot bubbles......."

Amen brother! And I want to see them defecating too. Lose complete control of bowel movements. [​IMG]
    We can washp up later.

26. longtex

longtex Guest

27. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I think that Mack will get one more NC in the next 4-5 years. Just needs to have the backup ready to tear it up!

28. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I recall some quote from Mack after the Rose Bowl win over the Trojans.

It was a few days later, after the dust had settled.

Apparently he had a sit down with DKR who told Mack something to the effect: "The problem is, Mack, you're going to want the 2nd national championship a lot more than the first."

It took DKR, what, 6 years after his first.

I think it lends legitimacy to a HC.

You win back to back, it looks like it's more about a really good group of players.

You win after the whole team has turned over into another squad, and then --- it's the coach.

Hook 'em

29. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

How long will it take to pass Darell in wins? That might be a clue. Four more years should= 43+ wins. I think that gets Mack pretty close. If he stays 4 more years, he might be able to be here when we pass Michigan for all-time wins.

30. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Only change I say in the 'as much luck' comment is you gotta have the skills but without luck you don't make it. Tholly pointed out to me the most obvious - the year Tenn got handed, literally with the laying down of the football - the trip to the championship by Ark. That was simply amazing. And we had a few bounces in 05. You just don't make it without some breaks, period. You have to be lucky and good.
    Hookem, bring it to us GG. You're gonna be blessed with some supporting talent few have ever had!