mack/muschamp article

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by PropositionJoe, Oct 5, 2010.

1. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

thoughts?

2. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

too soon imo....if Will goes to Georgia, LSU or other, best of luck to him and I would not blame him for taking the money. I will wish him the best and be grateful he was at Texas

5 years from now who is to say we still want him to be the head coach?

you just never know how things turn out.

[​IMG]

3. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

dirt burglar wishful thinking. Did anyone see UCLA's second half opening drive and ou's opening drive?

4. Longhorn01

Longhorn01 500+ Posts

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

"Texas source"? Some pissed off drunk walking across the Fair Grounds about 6:30 Saturday, making an off the cuff remark about Brown would never fire Davis, so this is what needs to happen.

I gotta believe Muschamp is headed to Athens by Dec 1. Then again, I have never believed that Muschamp would be HC in Austin. All that was an excuse to get him more cash and keep him in Travis County.

First it was "coordinator", then "assistant HC", then "HC in waiting". Each was an excuse to get the coach more money. Such is the educational bureaucracy.

6. E Man

E Man 100+ Posts

Agree with the above.

By the way, is Auburn's defensive coordinator any good right now? Just sayin...

7. i'm with Texas Golf. all the best to Muschamp if he leaves - and I want him to stay (although I'm not as convinced of his divinity as many) - but it's not time for Mack to go. We have tons of young talent on this team and another crazy good class next year. The future with Mack is still very bright.

8. OrangeRB

OrangeRB 500+ Posts

I'm still not sure that Muschamp will actually leave if the UGA job comes open. From what I have been hearing Reicht has another year to get the ship righted, but that was before the CU game. Who knows?

I do know that last years recruiting class was very, very good and this year it is great. With those prospects coming, any coordinator would be licking their chops to get to be able to work with those prospects.

I do think that some of these highly ranked recruiting classes need to show up on the field.

9. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Nobody...repeat...NOBODY is going to put any pressure on Mack Brown to step down. He will be the UT coach for as long as he wants to be.

Muschamp will be his successor. If he really wants to be. He has given no indication of wanting to jump back into the SEC, but I agree with an earlier poster. If he does take the Georgia job when it comes open at the end of the year, he deserves our best wishes, and thanks for doing a terrific job as our defensive coordinator.

I really like the fire Muschamp brings to his side of the team, and I have faith that he will be a great head coach. If it's not at UT, we'll still be okay. Mack has shown an ability to get problems fixed, and when he does leave, UT will NOT have trouble finding someone very good to take the job. A couple of losses hasn't changed the fact that the UT head coaching job is one of the top two or three out there. That's thanks in very large part to Mack Brown, and just one of the reasons he's not going anywhere until he's ready. okies are dangerous when you give them something to write on. One other quick thought...it's Auburn's OFFENSIVE coordinator we want, not it's defensive coordinator.

10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

What coolhorn said. [​IMG]

11. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

12. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I never say never. It's all about what have you done for me lately and anything is possible if by some chance lately stretches on with results below expectations.

I don't expect that to happen, but it is the nature of the beast.

13. slinger

slinger < 25 Posts

It would be a sad day if Mack were "encouraged" to step down. Assuming there are no 4 or more loss seasons 3 years in a row, and that would seem highly unlikely, he should go on his terms when he's ready. And while WM seems a great replacement, nobody knows how he will be as a HC. Sports is littered with people that were great coordinators but just couldn't make it work as the Man. The demands are totally different and the demeanor and processes used in one capacity don't always work or can be used in another.

14. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Mack isnt going anywhere soon and that is a very good thing.

15. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

Not buying a word of it. Unless this thing REALLY goes south over the several years, no one (other than perhaps Sally Brown) will be encouraging MB to retire. There's probably not a better HC/CEO/CFB Ambassador in the game right now. [​IMG]

16. UT Longhorn

UT Longhorn 500+ Posts

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Blonthang, you are correct, BUT Frank Erwin and Alan Shivers were running things back then. There has never been anyone as powerful as Frank and never will be again. Those two wanted Fred and hired Fred.

Frank almost fired DKR at the halftime of the Tech game in Lubbock in 1968.

18. UTDude

UTDude 100+ Posts

There are a lot of people on here that do not remember what ACTUALLY happened to DKR.

19. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

20. South Austin

South Austin 2,500+ Posts

I don't think Mack or Muschamp are going anywhere after this season.

I don't believe Mack is ready to retire, especially in a down year, and anyone who wants to drop him right now in favor of a badass DC but still unknown head coaching commodity is crazy.

Many may think that Mushcamp's luster has worn off this season, so he may not be viewed as the next greatest head coach for a major program that might be in the market at seaon's end (and I do not think Richt leaving Georgia after this year is a given -- I think he stays put). But I still think Muschamp is a great DC for Texas, and I'm still sold on him as our head-coach-in-waiting when the time is right for Mack to leave.

I wish I could make money writing articles that quote bar patrons as unnamed university sources. It would be so much more fun than practicing law.

21. chango

chango 2,500+ Posts

The Dirty Waffles MIGHT wear orange pants and capes.

22. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

He will be the UT coach for as long as he wants to be.

I doubt that. In fact, I doubt anybody really believes that.

23. BevoNation

BevoNation 500+ Posts

Hahaha! That article served as great comic relief for an otherwise stressful morning.

On second thought that picture clearly shows Mack talking to Muschamp - at a practice! It must be a done deal then if they're talking at practices. We're doomed. [​IMG]

24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Ain't gonna happen! That would be the ultimate blunder of the year... [​IMG]

25. marley

marley 500+ Posts

Mack may not do a Joe Paterno on us, but he'll stay as long as he wants.

I hope Will stays, but if he doesn't, Texas will reload with another great DC.

Right now, the guy we all need to worry about is Mack's boss, not Mack. How long will HE want to stay in his current job? And when he DOES decide to retire, what will Mack do?

THAT'S the $64,000 question . . . (for those who remember that).

26. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I repeat, Mack Brown will coach UT as long as Mack Brown wants to coach UT. Nobody with any gumption will make any move to push him out the back door.

It would take a collapse of epic proportions, and over a lot longer than one season, for Mack's seat to get even tepid, much less warm. There are enough UT administrators and power-brokers with memories long enough to remember what things were like around here before Mack got here. Anyone with any questions needs only to walk into the palace that is DKR Memorial Stadium to realize that Mack Brown has had a massive hand in making UT the model athletic program it is.

Mack's not going to go Joe Pa on us, and if he became convinced he couldn't do the job anymore, or that he wasn't as welcome here, nobody would have to push him out.

I'm no sunshine pumper, but I plan to enjoy Mack's remaining time here, no matter what Coach Boom ultimately decides to do. Two losses is nothing compared to Mack's body of work as UT's head football coach.

27. addicted to Horn

addicted to Horn 1,000+ Posts

Total speculation but I have to think Mack will stick around and try to win another title. Two national titles is pretty big deal. Hopefully this happens in the next three years, and then it will be really interesting to see how long Mack stays after that. I know all the GD haters out there, but I would imagine he will be here until Mack retires.

28. bevaux

bevaux 250+ Posts

BTW, Berry Trammel recanted his story today saying his "source" was wrong about all this.
    Like we needed him to tell us.

29. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts

30. Perham1

Perham1 2,500+ Posts

I repeat, Mack Brown will coach UT as long as Mack Brown wants to coach UT.

And I repeat that that is silly nonsense. You're assuming too much. What you really mean is that Mack will stay as long a a) he's doing reasonably well for UT, and b) he has support of the people who matter. You assume Mack won't go JoPa and that may be right, but it's still an assumption.

If Mack wants to stay well after his time has come and gone then Mack won't be there.

And it's not Mack's call to make, ultimately. UT doesn't run a stupid sports administration. This decision is not ultimately up to the coach.