Mack Resigned!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by stevedallas, Dec 14, 2013.

1. stevedallas

stevedallas 500+ Posts

Just got a text from Horns 247

2. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

LHN has just tweeted this as well.

3. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

ESPN is about to give details.

Mack will coach bowl game then gone per teaser.

Has informed players.

4. cmtsip

cmtsip 500+ Posts

Thanks, Coach! You're the best!

[​IMG]

5. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Wow!!

Unexpected after him going into fighting mode yesterday.

[​IMG]

6. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Now what?

7. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

ESPN waiting on UNC-UK game,

Bottom scroller quoted Mack- Wonderful ride. Program being pulled in different directions so it is right time for a change.

Let the real search begin!

8. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

End of an era.
    We may or may not be better off in the football program, but it is doubtful we will get anyone as good for the University as a whole. He's a good person, and I will miss him for those good qualities.
    Hope he gets the respect he deserves as he steps down.

9. johnnyg88

johnnyg88 500+ Posts

So, who is pulling and in what direction? Need more information. Thanks Mack. It had to be terrible the past few months.

10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

H A L L E L U J A H !

Make that HALLE FREAKIN' LUJAH! Happy days will be here soon. Can someone say John Harbaugh? (OK, wishful thinking...)

11. OldHippie

OldHippie 2,500+ Posts

Good luck, coach.

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Thank you Coach Brown for leading with so much class. You have more in your little finger than most of our fan base. Relax and enjoy the time off you have earned.

13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I think it was our Mod who said it was kind of funny that those who were giddy earlier that we missed out on Saban,
    but excited about reports from same sources that Mack was returning.

This should be a lesson to all of us. Let us all be humble.

14. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

15. johnnyg88

johnnyg88 500+ Posts

Saban was never coming here. Just sat tight and sucked $2 Million more from Bama. We need a younger coach anyhow.

16. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

From UT Football website

Mack:
    "Sally and I were brought to Texas 16 years ago to pull together a football program that was divided. With a lot of passion, hard work and determination from the kids, coaches and staff, we did that. We built a strong football family, reached great heights and accomplished a lot, and for that, I thank everyone. It's been a wonderful ride. Now, the program is again being pulled in different directions, and I think the time is right for a change. I love The University of Texas, all of its supporters, the great fans and everyone that played and coached here. I can't thank DeLoss Dodds enough for bringing our family here, and Bill Powers and the administration for supporting us at a place where I have made lifelong friendships. It is the best coaching job and the premier football program in America. I sincerely want it to get back to the top and that's why I am stepping down after the bowl game. I hope with some new energy, we can get this thing rolling again."

Steve Patterson, Texas Men's Athletics Director:
    "We appreciate everything Mack has done for The University of Texas. He's been a tremendous coach, mentor, leader and ambassador for our university and our student-athletes. He is truly a college football legend. I've had a number of talks with him recently, and he has always said he wanted what was best for The University of Texas. I know this decision weighed heavily on him, and today he told us he's ready to move forward."

William Powers Jr., University of Texas at Austin President:
    "This is a very difficult day for everyone in The University of Texas family. Mack Brown is one of the best football coaches in the country, a tremendous representative of our University, and, most importantly, a great friend. He has produced championship teams with tremendous student-athletes and has always done so with the utmost class and integrity. Mack is just the best and he will be missed. With that said, I'm excited for the future and the opportunity to work with him in a new capacity for the years to come and am thrilled that he and Sally will remain part of our family. He is an unbelievable resource for us and will always be a valuable member of the Longhorn community."

Press conference to be 2PM Sunday - not sure if EST or CST

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. 1963_Frosh

1963_Frosh 250+ Posts

I'm thankful that DKR's win total will not be surpassed!

18. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Season tickets for everyone! [​IMG]

19. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I was counting on moving up 20 or 30 yards. Might not happen now.

20. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I feel sad in an odd way. I started following Texas football in 1984. I would have killed for 8-4 when I was a student. My have times have changed

21. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Class move by a very classy coach, and great man.
    Thanks for the memories COACH!

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Mack leaves with the class he has shown for 16 years and has my thanks for a phenomenal run.

Thanks Coach! [​IMG]

23. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Thanks to Mack for bringing this proud program back to where it belongs, and thanks also for recognizing that it needs new leadership now.

Mack Brown goes out a Longhorn Legend as far as I am concerned.

[​IMG]

24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for an incredible turn around beginning in 1998 of a dying program you inherited from 1997. Thanks for the BCS wins, the NC, and 2 conference championships. Thanks also for realizing you reached your pinnacle, have been in a slide after 2009, and on your decision to call it a day.

25. jayakris

jayakris 2,500+ Posts

Thanks Mack. For how you did everything. You made some bad calls in the last 3-4 years on assistants and QBs, but made great calls all the way till then. Thanks for everything, and for giving us those wonderful 6 years during 2004-2009 when nobody was better than us.

R. J.

26. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I concur with all the good things said about Mack. [​IMG]

It's kind of funny that the timing seems to have stolen some of the Heisman thunder. Most site's have Mack up front instead of Winston.

27. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Third Coast great point! And I'm loving that fact!
    That kid deserves attention... From a prosecutor

28. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Maybe it's one of Mack's great victories. Stealing the thunder of the Heisman after VY and Colt were shunned. Maybe not, who knows?

29. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

There's no doubt Mack coached and represented The University of Texas with class, honesty, and integrity. No head coach was a better representative for a college football program than Mack Brown.

Unfortunately, Mack's shortcoming was he couldn't consistently win conference titles--in fact, he was downright lousy at it--and that's a huge problem if you want to compete for national championships in the BCS format.

30. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

Thank you, Mack but just one national title in 16 years is not nearly enough. [​IMG] [​IMG]