Mack vs Charlie vs Tom

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by zuckercanyon, Nov 29, 2019.

1. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Mack Brown's last 3:
    2011: 8-5 record; 4-5 Big 12; Won Holiday Bowl
    2012: 9-4 record; 5-4 Big 12; Won Alamo Bowl
    2013: 8-5 record; 7-2 Big 12; Lost Alamo Bowl

Totals: 25-14 record; 16-11 Big 12; 2-1 in Bowl Games

Charlie Strong's 3:
    2014: 6-7 record; 5-4 Big 12; Lost Texas Bowl
    2015: 5-7 record; 4-5 Big 12; no bowl
    2016: 5-7 record; 3-6 Big 12; no bowl

Totals: 16-21 record; 12-15 Big 12; 0-1 in Bowl Games

Tom Herman's 3:
    2017: 7-6 record; 5-4 Big 12; Won Texas Bowl
    2018: 10-4 record; 7-2 Big 12: Won Sugar Bowl
    2019: 7-5 record; 5-4 Big 12: TBD

Totals: 24-15 record; 17-10 Big 12; 2-0 in Bowl Games

So, I think Tom's picked up where Mack left off after Charlie's 3 years. Don't think the sky is falling yet. Signing day and Bowl game are mere weeks away!

Hook 'em!

• Like Like x 6
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

To be clear, Strong's Texas team didn't just lose the Texas Bowl. Arkie kicked their *** and humiliated and embarrassed them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. utempire

utempire 1,000+ Posts

I agree with this. Changes to the assistant coaches probably will and should be made, but TH needs to be here for the long haul.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

duly noted.

My standard reply here, to maintain integrity of the board ... lest we become aggys.

5. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I will add ...

if we want to compare the first 3 and the presumed vector ... the losses matter more than the wins.

The losses kept us from being conference champions all but 3 of Mack's 16 at Texas.

Last year, we had a shot at being the conference champion. The losses this year prevented that.

That's what matters to me. Conference Champion first ... then however this goofball national playoff thing goes ... but it seems there's still controversy in the seeding, so it's not as legit as a conference champion ... played on the gridiron. Each team has a shot that doesn't involve a popularity contest.

I'm not awed by 10 win seasons when they don't include conference championships.

• Like Like x 1
  6. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

'cept we fired Mack at the end of that ... we hired Herman to be 2001-2009 Mack not 10-14 Mack. Todays game changes little for me as far as believing Herman is the guy to get us championships. Guess we'll see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Its not merely the wins and losses that bother me.. Its HOW we lose and how we have to eek out wins against inferior talented teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Why do you set your expectations so low?

9. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Compare Herman to Mack Brown
    1998-2000. The FIRST 3 years. He went 27-11 but I would rate Makovic much higher than Strong so I think Herman inherited far less talent.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Issues this year are
    1. We lost to TCU. Good grief, how can you lose to TCU by 10 with a freshman QB that stinks on a good day
    2. ISU loss just because our SR. captain can't stay onsides. That one hurt and if we win that one, 8-4 is not quite the same disaster
    3. Getting the **** kicked out of us by Baylor. Again, we should not get **** canned by any team, period. That one's on the offense and why Beck is probably gone.

11. zuckercanyon

Charles Strong set me up for disappointment. We’ve got three winning seasons after those troubled seasons. I’m looking forward to this bowl and recruiting class. 2017s class is the last one from Strong. It includes Sam who I respect and consider a gamer. But as much as 2020 excites me, 2021 should show everyone what TH is developing...It’ll be his first full season with only his guys.

• Like Like x 1
  12. zuckercanyon

Ricky came back for his senior season. Donta was not as accommodating. Several Charlie juniors opted for the draft. Their prerogative but would like to have seen what them staying would have produced here. We’ll never know....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Lack of NFL picks and so few seniors that are contributing is pretty telling about Strong's abilities.

• Disagree Disagree x 1