Majestic's Grapevine Market (Austin location)

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by bevosayshi, Oct 20, 2009.

1. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

Anyone know why this place is closing? I just got this email:

Dear Loyal Customer,

It is with great sadness that we inform you that Majestic's Grapevine Austin location will be closing. It has been our pleasure to serve you, and we hope that you will continue your patronage at our Round Rock location which will remain open.

Effective Monday, October 19th, the new Austin store hours will be 11:00am - 7:00pm, Monday through Saturday. The Austin Deli will discontinue lunch service effective Monday, October 19th, however the gourmet department will remain open to assist you with cheese and gourmet items.

All previously purchased gift cards will be valid at our Majestic's Grapevine Market location in Round Rock.

Sad to see this location go....

[​IMG]

2. chitwood

chitwood 250+ Posts

No idea, but if I had to guess, I bet Spec's opening about 2 miles north of them had to hurt.

3. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

I don't think I shopped there once after they were bought out, mostly due to me not being in that part of town anymore.

Loved the original incarnation of it, though.

4. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

AAS article stated poor location and slumping sales.

I agree that Spec's probably contributed to the slumping sales part.

5. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Went yesterday. Stocked up on some of my staples but didn't indulge in some of the higher-end offerings.

6. s102r18

s102r18 250+ Posts

Majestic of Ft. Worth bought them out and didn't get what made GVM successful. They replaced the knowledgeable wine people with minimum wagers who generally looked too young to even have an adult beverage and were in other ways a poor match for the expectations of the clientele. Spec's or not, most of their customers would have stayed if Majestic hadn't abandoned what made the place work.

7. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I can't disagree with the statement above. One of the main value additions for Grapevine was the knowledgeable staff, and then Majestic killed that, I don't think Grapevine was going to last anyway.

I miss it most for its outstanding Belgian beer selection. Spec's Belgian selection is good, but Grapevine's was fantastic.

8. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

Grapevine was walking distance from my house. Loved that store. F majestic or whoever bought it. First thing they screwed up was putting that big "majestic" sign up. (reminds me of the new genie neon sign.)

9. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

old thread, but I think they moved to a new location in Round Rock.

10. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

11. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

Now the Round Rock location is closing....
    CLOSE OUT SALE
    BEGINS MONDAY, JUNE 7TH AT 11:00AM

Dear Loyal Customer,

We are sad to announce that Majestic's Grapevine Market in Round Rock will be closing. Majestic's Grapevine Market offers a vast array of beer, wine, spirits, cigars, accessories, cheese and specialty gourmet foods. We are selling all of our inventory AT or BELOW cost, so now is the perfect time to stock up for the summer. The sale is at our Round Rock location and subject to existing merchandise. NO RETURNS ON CURRENT OR PREVIOUSLY PURCHASED MERCHANDISE FOR ANY REASON. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.
    15% OFF BEER
    25% OFF LIQUOR
    25% OFF CIGARS
    30% OFF WINE
    30% OFF ACCESSORIES
    30% OFF GOURMET ITEMS
    50% OFF PRE-MADE GIFT BASKET

Effective Monday, June 7th, the new store hours will be:

11:00am - 7:00pm
    Monday - Saturday

12. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

Went there today, it's getting picked over but still lots of good deals on wine.

13. bevosayshi

bevosayshi 250+ Posts

CLOSE OUT SALE
    ***EVERYTHING 50% OFF!!!***
    STARTING FRIDAY, JUNE 25TH AT 11:00AM

Dear Loyal Customer,

We are sad to announce that Majestic's Grapevine Market in Round Rock will be closing. Majestic's Grapevine Market offers a vast array of beer, wine, spirits, cigars, accessories, cheese and specialty gourmet foods. All inventory is being sold AT or BELOW cost. EVERYTHING MUST GO! The sale is at our Round Rock location and subject to existing merchandise. ***NO RETURNS ON CURRENT OR PREVIOUSLY PURCHASED MERCHANDISE FOR ANY REASON. ALL SALES ARE FINAL.***

50% OFF LIQUOR
    50% OFF WINE
    50% OFF ACCESSORIES
    50% OFF GOURMET ITEMS
    50% OFF BEER
    50% OFF CIGARS

*Please bring your own wine bags or boxes. We are no longer receiving shipments so are unable to supply boxes.

*****New Store Hours*****
    11:00am - 7:00pm
    Monday - Saturday

14. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Sounds like good prices, but I just don't drink all that much anymore.