Major Officially Accepts RB Coach Position

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Torito, Jan 16, 2008.

1. kjgirl

kjgirl 500+ Posts

[​IMG] Welcome back Major

2. watashi

watashi 250+ Posts

3. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

You mean he had left? When?

Why?

4. Sec39Row7

Sec39Row7 < 25 Posts

Major and I arrived at the 40 acres at the same time...I remember sitting next to him and Greg Cicero at DF before he had even started a game.

Welcome Home, Major...good to have you back where you belong.

5. HornsOverIthaca

HornsOverIthaca 250+ Posts

Major once visited The Virgin Islands. They are now just 'The Islands.'

6. runthebone

runthebone 100+ Posts

Somewhere, out in TV land, Brent Musburger just screamed Boom. Mother f'er.

7. DKR777

DKR777 250+ Posts

8. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

I have a lot of respect for Major. However, could someone explain how this is such a great hire?

What does he know about running backs? How is he going to be effective in recruiting running backs?

9. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

10. Horneius_Maximus

Horneius_Maximus 250+ Posts

Major is a great man.. A GREAT MAN

We have a saying in my country – the coyote of the desert likes to eat the heart of the young and the blood drips down to his children for breakfast, lunch and dinner

11. Thorp

Thorp 500+ Posts

Welcome back Major. It's great to know you are here.

12. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

Is RB coach at UT really a step up from OC at Bama? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have him back, just trying to figure out his thought process. I think it would have been good for him to spend a few more years as the OC at a big time program like Bama in a tough conference like the SEC. That's some invaluable experience that would work wonders for his progression as a coach.

But I guess if your alma mater makes you an offer and it's your ultimate goal to come back, you can't pass it up. Plus, he won't be taking a pay cut with that 'Assistant Head Coach' tag.

Give 'em hell Major [​IMG]

13. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

Here is what aggy thinks about it...
    The Link

14. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

15. Matterhorn

Matterhorn 25+ Posts

GatorDave,

I think both schools of thought are at play. The SEC is a great proving ground, but I hear Saban is demanding and not an easy person to work for. I also don't see Saban and staff sticking around for long if they keep having the losses they have.
    With most of the teams in the Big12 now going with some version of a spread offense its also a good
    proving ground. With Texas, OU, Kansas, and Mizzou all finishing in the top 10 in the polls, its hard to argue that the Big 12 is not also a good spot to prove yourself also. The asst. head coach title also keeps him in the pool for HC jobs down the road as well.

16. formermav43

formermav43 250+ Posts

I am puzzled by some of the comments about Major coaching running backs, as if you had to play a position to be able to coach it.

Akina played QB and coaches DBs
    Bobby Kennedy played QB and coaches WRs
    Chambers has coached both RBs and TEs but he played WR

This is just our staff, but its pretty typical. Not to mention, RB is one of the easier positions to coach.

17. Sirion

Sirion 25+ Posts

Mack was a RB or FB right? What was Greg Davis, out of curiosity? Please don't say PK... [​IMG]

18. GatorDave

GatorDave 500+ Posts

19. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

20. ngnichols

ngnichols 250+ Posts

21. longhorn-ex

longhorn-ex 250+ Posts

You forgot #20 .... EARL!!!! [​IMG]

22. Wheres Scotty

Wheres Scotty < 25 Posts

23. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

The fact that he would take a job less than OC after one year really shows how much he wanted out of Saban's staff.

24. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

OK, who recruited and coached Peterson at UO. I know it wasn't Major.

25. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

26. nancihs

nancihs First Time Poster

I'm not sure how anyone could be concerned about paygrades or whether this is a move down. Isn't a 'nana parade enuf?

27. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

28. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

29. MexicanVanilla

MexicanVanilla 25+ Posts

[​IMG]

Let me get in line to be one of the multitudes to welcome you back home, Major. If I thought the off-season was going to be difficult to get through before.. I want to go into stasis, wake up after a lil' nap and have it be football season again.

What's that smell? Could it be positivity, possibility, and hope?

Welcome home Coach Applewhite!

[​IMG]